Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

Or, filler. I know a lot of people liked the dinner scene at WF, but it did nothing for me. It was a great showcase for Iwan, but the audience already knows he's bat shit crazy. That was a very long scene and it told us nothing. Ramsay is crazy. Sansa hates everyone. Roose is quiet. Walda is kinda dumb. Theon does what he's told. They could have introduced her being pregnant in 10 seconds any time.

Some of their stuff like this has worked, such as everyone switching chairs in the small council meeting whatever season that was....but this, I didn't get it, huge amount of time for what pay off? none. Iwan can act. Ramsay is crazy. already had that.

Or Saint Tyrion and Hizzy Hill's pseudo-intellectual debate on violence, progress, etc. It's so hilarious when they try and delve into such matters.

They've been attempting to preach their personal ideology on certain matters for a few seasons now. Doesn't do much to repair the horror that is the writing/directing currently on display.

From Cheb's Tumblr:

"Anonymous asked: Do all these themes and literary meanings and context and stuff you go on about really matter? All that's important is that the show is entertaining right? You've got witty lines, cool battles, dragons, undead, magic. What more does the show really need? Besides, the books are far too complicated and have too many characters. D&D are just trimming the fat."

How do you even begin to respond to something like that?

R4W13Y, you could write a massive book responding to that and delving into everything wrong with D&D and GoT fandom/apologia.

Well, McElhinney not only read the books, he likes the books better. So he was doomed. But more than complain about his death scene, in the letter he was trying to make a point to D&D that it wasn't in the show's best interest to off him now. And that's what only made them want to kill his character even more.

I will never get over how they treated him :(

So not only does the show suck, but the show runners aren't the nicest to some of their cast members/fans.

Oh and did anyone noticed how long Loras and Cersei were engaged (3.06-5.10???), they could set new world record as can Gilly's three year old/one year old baby in infancy length.

:lol: yeah I definitely did because I was wondering at the beginning of this season why the fuck Loras was still in KL?

Or, filler. I know a lot of people liked the dinner scene at WF, but it did nothing for me. It was a great showcase for Iwan, but the audience already knows he's bat shit crazy. That was a very long scene and it told us nothing. Ramsay is crazy. Sansa hates everyone. Roose is quiet. Walda is kinda dumb. Theon does what he's told. They could have introduced her being pregnant in 10 seconds any time.

Some of their stuff like this has worked, such as everyone switching chairs in the small council meeting whatever season that was....but this, I didn't get it, huge amount of time for what pay off? none. Iwan can act. Ramsay is crazy. already had that.

Exactly, this has always been another one of my main complaints. Just so many scenes that are pointless and go on WAY. TOO. LONG. that take time away from more important matters.

They've been attempting to preach their personal ideology on certain matters for a few seasons now. Doesn't do much to repair the horror that is the writing/directing currently on display.

What is worse: their pseudo-intellectual debates that always fall flat, or Tyrion and Varys' stroking each other's manhood through smug, sarcastic bleating?

I'm still shocked they didn't have a scene with Sophie and Theon together in the godswood, a nice long tender scene, where Theon would honestly show her how sorry he is, THAT HE WISHES HE DIED WITH HER BROTHER ROBB. That would have been the moment they bonded.

Instead of Sansa asks for help w/no reason to think Theon will help her, then she screams at him how she wants to torture him, which miraculously causes him to tell her her bros are alive, and next thing you know, he's throwing Myranda off the walkway...

Agreed. The ADwD Theon/Reek chapters are my favorite from the whole series. And Alfie Allen was great for both portrayals. However, the show made that arc... empty. Yes, it's an arc that plays mostly internally, since Book!Theon has really no one he can talk to. But since they decided to have Sansa in Winterfell, it was the perfect setup to adapt at least a bit of it.

I'm totally not surprised about McElhinney writing a letter. I would to if that was the death scene presented to me. Barristan, for no discernible reason, skips through the cobbled streets of Meereen, without his armour on, when suddenly the Sons of the Harpy attack. And then he fights for about 15 seconds, only to be killed. It's a pretty dull ending. Then again, they never really used his character much. After the first season he mostly seemed to hang about. Which is something I never got in the third season: they cut from a simple, money-saving scene, of Dany and Barristan in a tent, to shoot a much more expensive scene that ended up having the choreography of a Power Rangers fight. Why? :worried:

It's been so long since that scene but.......I recall my big problem with it being that the bell is tolling, ie..............something is REALLY WRONG in Mereen, and the man who, I guess, is Lord Commander of Dany's Queen's Guard is....moving further and further away from her....and out into the streets of Mereen? That's even before we get to the terrible way they killed him, not to mention how they had Dany shit on his memory by using her Insta Trained dragons to burn anonymous nobles after their talk about the Mad King and his burnings. It was all down hill for Ser Barry right after he moved away from the pyramids and Dany at the sound of trouble.

It becomes ten times infuriating when it's you stop and think about how it's a set up for St. Tyrion. In the books, the real Tyrion is looking forward to, even dreaming, about fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold, but D&D"s Tyrion can't share the spotlight with anyone but MarxistVarys? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do people actually like Iwan as Ramsay? I mean, do people really think he is fitting for Ramsay's character?

I think he does a good job with the Show!Ramsay they created. I don't know if he'd do well as Book!Ramsay (he certainly wouldn't be my choice): he's already too handsome and too charismatic (which is probably why they went the direction they did with Show!Ramsay).

I think he does a good job with the Show!Ramsay they created. I don't know if he'd do well as Book!Ramsay (he certainly wouldn't be my choice): he's already too handsome and too charismatic (which is probably why they went the direction they did with Show!Ramsay).

He seems more like one of Ramsay's underlings in ADwD.

It's been so long since that scene but.......I recall my big problem with it being that the bell is tolling, ie..............something is REALLY WRONG in Mereen, and the man who, I guess, is Lord Commander of Dany's Queen's Guard is....moving further and further away from her....and out into the streets of Mereen? That's even before we get to the terrible way they killed him, not to mention how they had Dany shit on his memory by using her Insta Trained dragons to burn anonymous nobles after their talk about the Mad King and his burnings. It was all down hill for Ser Barry right after he moved away from the pyramids and Dany at the sound of trouble.

It becomes ten times infuriating when it's you stop and think about how it's a set up for St. Tyrion. In the books, the real Tyrion is looking forward to, even dreaming, about fighting side by side with Barristan the Bold, but D&D"s Tyrion can't share the spotlight with anyone but MarxistVarys? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:agree:

He seems more like one of Ramsay's underlings in ADwD.

Agreed, he'd actually probably be a good Reek 1.0.

Do people actually like Iwan as Ramsay? I mean, do people really think he is fitting for Ramsay's character?

I kind of do now, I watch him as his own person. I have let go that he's not Book Ramsay, he's highly entertaining, especially to see how far the Ds are going to go with a sadistic torturer who is also a sexy badass warrior joke cracker. They started out downplaying his looks. Now they don't. It's all very interesting. Plus, he's really mesmerizing now that they moved him out of the hobbit mode he started off in.

I'm just tired off him. Someone compared him to the Joker once, and I think that's what they're going for - the crazy, charismatic psycopath. The foregrounded him to a ridiculous level, to the point where he was the one who singlehandedly defeated Stannis. A bastard with no political or military training. The book character is a minor one: he exists for Theon's development and to service the plot. GRRM doesn't spent inordinate amounts of time giving him witty lines and indulging in his twisted habits.

Who is this critic named Orson? Of the beetle scene?

Orson Scott Card - the author of Ender's Game. He criticized the show very harshly for it's depiction of gore and nudity.

ETA: Peter did say something about that being his favorite scene he's filmed :ack:

I'm still shocked they didn't have a scene with Sophie and Theon together in the godswood, a nice long tender scene, where Theon would honestly show her how sorry he is, THAT HE WISHES HE DIED WITH HER BROTHER ROBB. That would have been the moment they bonded.

Instead of Sansa asks for help w/no reason to think Theon will help her, then she screams at him how she wants to torture him, which miraculously causes him to tell her her bros are alive, and next thing you know, he's throwing Myranda off the walkway...

I think we don't complain enough about how much Theon's arc has been butchered, tbh. How many scenes did Alfie even have? Three, four lines total? And his Dance chapters are so gorgeously written. What a terrible shame.

Oh and did anyone noticed how long Loras and Cersei were engaged (3.06-5.10???), they could set new world record as can Gilly's three year old/one year old baby in infancy length.

Please, don't get me started on Baby de LeonTM.

I'm just tired off him. Someone compared him to the Joker once, and I think that's what they're going for - the crazy, charismatic psycopath. The foregrounded him to a ridiculous level, to the point where he was the one who singlehandedly defeated Stannis. A bastard with no political or military training. The book character is a minor one: he exists for Theon's development and to service the plot. GRRM doesn't spent inordinate amounts of time giving him witty lines and indulging in his twisted habits.

:agree:

No

He's like an evil pixie on a sugar high, and I hate the little Ben Whishaw voice he makes

:lmao: He does sound like Ben Whishaw!

Orson Scott Card - the author of Ender's Game. He criticized the show very harshly for it's depiction of gore and nudity.

ETA: Peter did say something about that being his favorite scene he's filmed :ack:

I fear that they'll at one point have a looooong scene about how book snobs are idiots.

Archived