Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 3 (Book Spoilers)

Veltigar

From Cheb's Tumblr:

"Anonymous asked: Do all these themes and literary meanings and context and stuff you go on about really matter? All that's important is that the show is entertaining right? You've got witty lines, cool battles, dragons, undead, magic. What more does the show really need? Besides, the books are far too complicated and have too many characters. D&D are just trimming the fat."

How do you even begin to respond to something like that?

Holy shit is that for real? :lol: That reads like our joke justifications...Faith in the general public plummeting rapidly.

Orson Scott Card - the author of Ender's Game. He criticized the show very harshly for it's depiction of gore and nudity.

ETA: Peter did say something about that being his favorite scene he's filmed :ack:

Eww, Orson Scott Card writes some crap. But hurrah for criticism of the show :p

Also, I have never liked Dinklage. Did I mention that recently? I feel I haven't said so in this iteration of the thread yet...

RE: Orson Scott Card.

"But wouldn't it have been nice if HBO had presented an adult version of this masterpiece of fantasy literature, instead of giving us the lonely-14-year-old-boy's version."

Orson, you may not be the best person, but that line right there is gold.

I wonder if the actors don't have to kiss ass, like D&D are the new version of Jack Warner and Louis B. Mayer, running their fiefdom in N. Ireland, and if you don't kiss their ass, then, you end up on the streets of Meereen with no armor....

I fear that they'll at one point have a looooong scene about how book snobs are idiots.

ETA: Whoops! Didn't answer this. They already kinda did that with Shireen, the book/ASOIAF lore lover :P

Holy shit is that for real? :lol: That reads like our joke justifications...Faith in the general public plummeting rapidly.

Eww, Orson Scott Card writes some crap. But hurrah for criticism of the show :P

Also, I have never liked Dinklage. Did I mention that recently? I feel I haven't said so in this iteration of the thread yet...

Haha it could be a satirical ask, but still, it's a sentiment many show apologists here alone have had.

OSC does write some crap and is a homophobe but right, he dislikes the show so the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

And I have to agree with you. St. Tyrion doesn't interest me as a character and I'm just not the biggest Dinklage fan. He does well enough but...he's never captured me the way he has other people.

I think we are in agreement here? :dunno:

yes! it's just I"ve recently seen many reviews (not GoT related) blaiming the masses and it makes me grumpy

Do people actually like Iwan as Ramsay? I mean, do people really think he is fitting for Ramsay's character?

I'm ok with him. I think he would be able to do book!Ramsay as well (but obviously a better looking one).

From Cheb's Tumblr:

"Anonymous asked: Do all these themes and literary meanings and context and stuff you go on about really matter? All that's important is that the show is entertaining right? You've got witty lines, cool battles, dragons, undead, magic. What more does the show really need? Besides, the books are far too complicated and have too many characters. D&D are just trimming the fat."

How do you even begin to respond to something like that?

I'll give it a try:

'Also check out The Smurfs or Duck Tales......they have all that stuff too'

I kind of do now, I watch him as his own person. I have let go that he's not Book Ramsay, he's highly entertaining, especially to see how far the Ds are going to go with a sadistic torturer who is also a sexy badass warrior joke cracker. They started out downplaying his looks. Now they don't. It's all very interesting. Plus, he's really mesmerizing now that they moved him out of the hobbit mode he started off in.

Maybe it's about personal taste, but he doesn't do anything for me.....look wise, never has. Maybe it IS because of the character he's playing, but between my lack of interest in his appearance and the fact that I'm getting tired of 'funny and oh so competent Ramsay,' I'm finding him even less attractive. I fear for Roose, cause D&D are much too much enamored with Ramsay. I get the feeling they figure he's their Hannibal, or something. After all, it looks like they've been ripping off other movies and trying to pass it off as an homage. Hell, how many of us expected Jorah to yell: Are you NOT entertained??

What is worse: their pseudo-intellectual debates that always fall flat, or Tyrion and Varys' stroking each other's manhood through smug, sarcastic bleating?

Mate you may as well ask me whether I'd prefer eating a pound of raw liver or drinking a pint of canola oil.

"But wouldn't it have been nice if HBO had presented an adult version of this masterpiece of fantasy literature, instead of giving us the lonely-14-year-old-boy's version."

That's great - he's spot on. Even a broken clock is right twice a day :P

I wonder if the actors don't have to kiss ass, like D&D are the new version of Jack Warner and Louis B. Mayer, running their fiefdom in N. Ireland, and if you don't kiss their ass, then, you end up on the streets of Meereen with no armor....

That's how I picture it. In interviews, the directors and actors are always like "this scene was brilliant, D&D are amazing" when they're talking about shit like Olly (yes, Kit loved the choice to have Olly kill him) or the Beetle scene. I have to believe some of them are lying? I mean, it's one thing to say "I enjoy working on the show and D&D work very hard to bring us GoT" but it's another entirely to metaphorically suck their cocks and call them "geniuses".

Don't forget that Dumb&Dumber put in a non-book scene specifically to shit on Orson Scott Card.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/11/peter-dinklage-game-of-thrones-scene-secret-meaning_n_7046990.html

DnD just inspired me with that Orson Scott Card dissing. If I ever write a book and get it published, I'll have two characters named David and Dan who will in some way twist every story they hear into their own, illogical versions that completely butcher and misunderstand the characters in the stories. Maybe I'll even have a character named George or Martin kick them off a cliff or something.

I can't believe some journalist wrote that the Beetle-scene is possibly some of the most clever dissing ever.

Clever.

CLEVER?!?!?!?1

:bang:

Ah, someone who gets it. Who doesn't think the book version was "too complicated" .....

A nice rant from Vox.

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/18/8800725/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-death-ruined

Lol, I thought by that you meant Vox Day. So, y'know, I thought the universe was about to implode :laugh:

Sad Puppy.

Careful now you puppy kicker you ;)

I'll give it a try:

'Also check out The Smurfs or Duck Tales......they have all that stuff too'

:rofl:

Perfect.

Maybe it's about personal taste, but he doesn't do anything for me.....look wise, never has. Maybe it IS because of the character he's playing, but between my lack of interest in his appearance and the fact that I'm getting tired of 'funny and oh so competent Ramsay,' I'm finding him even less attractive. I fear for Roose, cause D&D are much too much enamored with Ramsay. I get the feeling they figure he's their Hannibal, or something. After all, it looks like they've been ripping off other movies and trying to pass it off as an homage. Hell, how many of us expected Jorah to yell: Are you NOT entertained??

:agree:

Good comparison to Hannibal. The charismatic killer that you love is what they're going for, but it doesn't work for me because, well, it's Ramsay.

DnD just inspired me with that Orson Scott Card dissing. If I ever write a book and get it published, I'll have two characters named David and Dan who will in some way twist every story they hear into their own, illogical versions that completely butcher and misunderstand the characters in the stories. Maybe I'll even have a character named George or Martin kick them off a cliff or something.

I can't believe some journalist wrote that the Beetle-scene is possibly some of the most clever dissing ever.

Clever.

CLEVER?!?!?!?1

:bang:

I'm hoping GRRM does it in his last book, considering the show will be long done by then and hopefully he will be free to be honest about how he feels :P But he's probably not as petty as I am :D

Orson Scott Card - the author of Ender's Game. He criticized the show very harshly for it's depiction of gore and nudity.

ETA: Peter did say something about that being his favorite scene he's filmed :ack:

Thanks everyone on that.

Yeah, I saw Peter say that, and with some of the other dumb stuff that D&D gave him, I can kind of understand, but also.....he could stand a clue about the real character that he's not getting a chance to play. Then come tell me about Tyrion's dialogue, LOL

Archived