Charleston shooting political thread 2: guns, God, and Confederate values

DanteGabriel

Neither of those things is the equivalent of the Confederate flag.

That isn't the point. The point is that if one person is offended by a certain type of plate and that type of plate is banned then all types of plates are open to be banned too.

A precedent is being set for that to happen.

That isn't the point. The point is that if one person is offended by a certain type of plate and that type of plate is banned then all types of plates are open to be banned too.

Again, meaning in a cultural context matters.

Also, again, the Confederate flag implies opposition to the USA and treason against it. So why should a US state promote (not permit, promote) the display of said flag?

There is no ban going into effect, the state is simply declining to issue Confederate flag plates anymore.

There is no ban going into effect, the state is simply declining to issue Confederate flag plates anymore.

If that is how you want to word then go ahead. I know you liberal guys like to have specific wording.

For example Global Warming has changed to Climate Change.

If that is how you want to word then go ahead. I know you liberal guys like to have specific wording.

The plates are issued by the state. The state gets to decide what can and can't be on them. If you must have such a despicable thing as the confederate flag on your vehicle, go ahead and buy yourself a bumper sticker or a flag.

Again, meaning in a cultural context matters.

Also, again, the Confederate flag implies opposition to the USA and treason against it. So why should a US state promote (not permit, promote) the display of said flag?

Cultural context??? Really??? That is the way you are going to go. That would make it so an ISIS supporter who lives in Virginia can or would be offended by the plates that have the pentagon symbol with the words 9/11 on them and state fight terrorism could be banned (stop being issued) too.

I'm with Scot -- the maintenance angle gives a free out to the jackasses who've been courting the white supremacist vote for their entire political careers. Make them vote on it.

Fair enough. I didn't look at it from the other side of the coin.

I still fear an over abundance of lip service though.

FdB

You are complaining that a more accurate description is being used? Are you under the impression that climate does anything but change? Climate is not and has never been static. I prefer "climate change" to "global warming" because it is more accurate.

The plates are issued by the state. The state gets to decide what can and can't be on them. If you must have such a despicable thing as the confederate flag on your vehicle, go ahead and buy yourself a bumper sticker or a flag.

I don't have specialized tags on my car but I don't like things being banned. Yes some people believe that the Confederate Flag is racist and they have some validity but there are also quite a few people out there who don't think that it is racist and are not racist.

For example here is one person who likes the flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYnAgrdnVPU

FdB

You are complaining that a more accurate description is being used? Are you under the impression that climate does anything but change? Climate is not and has never been static. I prefer "climate change" to "global warming" because it is more accurate.

I just used the global warming/ climate change wording as an example of how liberals change their wording to fit their narrative.

Cultural context??? Really??? That is the way you are going to go. That would make it so an ISIS supporter who lives in Virginia can or would be offended by the plates that have the pentagon symbol with the words 9/11 on them and state fight terrorism could be banned (stop being issued) too.

oh god. we are totally entering the "yahoo comments section" phase of this thread.

I don't have specialized tags on my car but I don't like things being banned. Yes some people believe that the Confederate Flag is racist and they have some validity but there are also quite a few people out there who don't think that it is racist and are not racist.

Those people are just unaware of what they really are then.

And it's removing an option for specialized plates, far from banning. It'd be like Illinois getting rid of the cardinal plate option. It's simply not in circulation anymore. But you go on playing "poor little put upon conservative who just isn't truly understood".

I just used the global warming/ climate change wording as an example of how liberals change their wording to fit their narrative.

IIRC the wording changed because conservatives wouldn't accept the original version.

Leading away from the threadjack, there are limits on every activity. Driving cars, drinking, and having sex are all legal, but have legally applied limits (all of those have age limits, for instance). There's zero difference between that and restricting the display of the visual equivalent of hate speech.

IIRC the wording changed because conservatives wouldn't accept the original version.

Leading away from the threadjack, there are limits on every activity. Driving cars, drinking, and having sex are all legal, but have legally applied limits (all of those have age limits, for instance). There's zero difference between that and restricting the display of the visual equivalent of hate speech.

So according to you there is more than one version. So the original version was climate change and since that was working a 2nd version came about call climate change.

Got it. You guys sure are funny.

Archived