Queen of Fire - Anthony Ryan

john

Update! This is the worst book of all time and I want to kick a baby. I loved book two and a lot of my friends HATED it, so I figured, eh, this can't be THAT bad, right? It's worse. After I'm done with this i think all three books are heading to goodwill. I've read better Karen Miller books. Also [spoiler] What the fuck happened to the main characters super magic healing nun wtfever from book 1? She isn't even thought about. Hell what happened to all the characters from book 1...[/spoiler]

[spoiler] What the fuck happened to the main characters super magic healing nun wtfever from book 1? She isn't even thought about. Hell what happened to all the characters from book 1...[/spoiler]

He answered that in his Reddit AMA a couple days ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/3d5is6/anthony_ryan_author_of_the_ravens_shadow_epic/ct29hn6

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/3d5is6/anthony_ryan_author_of_the_ravens_shadow_epic/ct2n174

This is a bummer. I hold the unpopular opinion that Tower Lord is better than Blood Song -- Blood Song has better pace and drive, no question, but I like the new characters in Tower Lord and Blood Song Vaelin and his uberspecial dudebro powers bore me extremely, whereas I felt the character grew in book 2 -- so I was hoping for another solid novel in the mode of the second one, but maybe with Blood Song's sense of pace. It's too bad to hear that the series has ... not achieved this. Still, best to go in forewarned.

I suppose I won't even bother with Tower Lord then.

I'm almost wishing I didn't buy the first one after seeing some of the responses here and on Amazon. It's definitely moved it down the reading list. Maybe I'll have to pretend it's like Highlander and there can be only one of it ever made?

I'm almost wishing I didn't buy the first one after seeing some of the responses here and on Amazon. It's definitely moved it down the reading list. Maybe I'll have to pretend it's like Highlander and there can be only one of it ever made?

Blood Song was a very enjoyable read. I usually wait a while for hype to die down and another entry or two in a series before starting to read them. It's usually only certain authors I will read on release. I suppose I will have to treat Blood Song as a stand-alone.

It's even worse I'd say if Tower Lord was your favorite. He absolutely destroys any personalty the new POVs had. It really feels like he didn't want to write this book at all and just made some shit up. Hell, there's maybe, MAYBE a novella's worth of plot here. Ug, I'm still so pissed off.

Blood Song was a very enjoyable read. I usually wait a while for hype to die down and another entry or two in a series before starting to read them. It's usually only certain authors I will read on release. I suppose I will have to treat Blood Song as a stand-alone.

Technically you could consider it a stand-alone. Not unlike Abercrombie's stand-alone novels that are part of the same world as the First Law, only where Abercrombie's stand-alone novels are concentrated on only a specific part of the world, Blood Song is concentrated on only one character.

Technically you could consider it a stand-alone. Not unlike Abercrombie's stand-alone novels that are part of the same world as the First Law, only where Abercrombie's stand-alone novels are concentrated on only a specific part of the world, Blood Song is concentrated on only one character.

Yep. For those who haven't read this saga yet, do yourself a favour and read only the Blood Song. It is absolutely a great book and stands very well on its own. That ending works and there is no need to continue reading the two other books (although I liked the Tower Lord but the final book sucks).

I suppose I won't even bother with Tower Lord then.

That's right.

Vaelin defeated the Ally in the end of the first book. That ending is infinitely better than the final ending. If I know that this will happen, I would have stopped there.

Seriously speaking, books 2 and 3 are a completely different story ark.

Man, this sucks to hear x_O I really enjoyed Blood Song back then, but I decided to wait for the next two books and read them in one sitting because I was a bit overloaded on fantasy series at the time. Shame the series turned out this rotten, I guess I'll just leave it at Blood Song as some have suggested here.

Archived