Queen of Fire - Anthony Ryan

john

I didn't think it was quite as bad as some of the people in this thread. It's definitely a bit rushed and it's disappointing in the sense that it's nowhere near as good as the first book but I didn't think it was that much worse than Tower Lord. :dunno:

After I finished Blood song, Anthony Ryan was on my short list of fantasy writers of "pre-order and read on the day available". Of the so called new wave of writers I have Abercrombie, Daniel Abraham, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Miles Cameron, John Gwynne, Brian Staveley, Luke Scull, Michael J Sullivan and Mark Lawrence on that not so short list. Lynch & Rothfuss would be on the list if they ever managed to publish with any regularity. 

I felt Tower Lord was a pretty good book. May be not enjoyable as the Blood Song, but I argued on this board in favor of shifting to multi POV style. I thought it expanded the scope of the story. 

After Queen of Fire, Ryan is not getting  a single penny out of me again unless I see  better than 4 star reviews for ALL the books of the next series. I am so bummed that I don't even want to explain why I feel so let down. I will treat Blood Song as a self contained novel. That ending was perfect. I will pretend Tower Lord also does not exist since it ends in a cliff hanger.

He's also written a short story set in the world. It's only available as an Audiobook and It's called The Lord Collector: A Raven Song Novella.

According to the Synopsis it's been done to explore the characters introduced in Tower Lord and the Queen of Fire.

So if you want to pay £9.00 to have character development for characters that don't have any in Queen of Fire or Tower Lord, go ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it, and I agree with all the dissatisfaction mentioned here about this book.

I have no idea what kind of ending that was, there was too much warfare, and little or no character development, and the overall direction that this story took was just disappointing.

My opinion of Tower Lord wasn't that high before this, now I think it stands in a much better light.

I even find Reva's ascension to ultimate badass more believable than Alornis's ascension to Archimedes/Da Vinci level.

I liked the first book and was meh on the second. I haven't read the third one yet but I'm not surprised at the criticisms. I think Anthony Ryan has some talent. His prose isn't spectacular, but it's solid enough. But what we're reading is basically an early effort by an author that's new to his craft. He probably could have benefited from a stronger editor. Or, better yet, toiling away for a few years (or decades) writing short stories and standalone novels. There's some talent there though. 

I was thinking hard about getting Blood Song for one of my next reads, but I've skimmed this thread and am now much less motivated to do so. 

I was thinking hard about getting Blood Song for one of my next reads, but I've skimmed this thread and am now much less motivated to do so. 

Well, most people liked it. It's the ones after Blood Song that are problematic. But Blood Song itself is enjoyable enough.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived