Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

It's my understand, backed up by his blog and podcast, that the book is a) not written, b ) not being written, since he's too busy playing videogames.

That's not entirely fair. He also runs a charity.

Yeah, Rothfuss is about as big a waste of talent as you can get. He's that top NFL draft pick that gets his first contract and promptly gains 50 pounds.  Sanderson is that undersized, scrappy guy who may not have the most talent but works harder than everyone else.

15 hours ago, Lord Barger said:

I'm a little confused on what's going on with Doors of Stone; perhaps someone can clarify? Its my understanding the book is already written (there is a picture on the web of a huge manuscript) and he spends his time, when he does find time to work, endlessly polishing the story. Almost like he believes that he is a Virgil trying to perfect the Aeneid.

What cracks me up is that when I went to the Sanderson book signing for WoR, he was talking about a name for Stormlight 3 and said that his plan had been Stones Unhallowed, but his publisher suggested that it would be a bad idea to be releasing a book with Stone in the title the same year Doors of Stone was coming out... :lol: 

Stormlight Archive has become really popular:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/5gj79o/what_is_your_we_should_never_meet_our_heroes_story/dat3hq3/?context=3

His [Robert Jordan] heir, certainly. In many senses of the word. My career was given a huge boost, and sales of the Stormlight books have reached the same that the Wheel of Time was doing when he passed. So...yeah, I owe that man more than I can ever repay, not just for the books in my youth, but for the learning I got working in his world, and the attention of many readers.

I needed something that I could read for a couple days and then put away when Babylon's Ashes came out.  I picked up Sanderson's short fiction collection Arcanum Unbounded.

So far I only read the two stories from the Elantris setting, but I will say that I thought The Emperor's Soul was fantastic. It was a little over a hundred pages and originally sold as a novella, but I thought it was great.  The short story set during the climax of Elantris was not anything to write home about, but in the author commentary I get that he really didn't feel that way about it either.  :dunno: 

I dig his concept of an overarching Cosmere, but I really do think it has already jumped from being just a cool background into a full on world that could begin to pose an entry barrier to readers.  I think the moment it jumped that shark came when you had the talking sword from Warbreaker show up as the big cliffhanger in WoR. 

Anyways, I'm interested in getting back to AU once I finish up the Dan Abraham book.  Next up are the three short stories that happen in the Mistborn setting.  Those should be a lot of fun and I had been meaning to read the novella ever since I read Bands of Mourning earlier this year.  Interested to see if it just reads as a giant retcon or what.

The last novella in the collection is Edgedancer from the Stormlight Archives setting.  Looking forward to that as well.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I dig his concept of an overarching Cosmere, but I really do think it has already jumped from being just a cool background into a full on world that could begin to pose an entry barrier to readers.

Sanderson said last week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5f76sk/doctor_strange_crosses_600m_ww_now_mcus_biggest/dajkprl/?context=3

Marvel has played out well, and its popularity is part of why I think the film companies were suddenly interested in things like the cosmere. I'd like to think I presaged the MCU with what I was doing--but the truth is that Marvel and DC had been doing crossovers before I was born, so...

Anyway, I've been trying to warn readers because many are starting to wonder things like you are. Is this like the MCU? Well, it is, and it isn't. The goal of the cosmere is to take individual fantasy worlds, then--over generations--tell an expansive story about their interactions one with another.

I'm not pointing toward an Avengers style, "Your favorite characters all team up" story. The magics will interact, as will the worlds, and even some of the characters--but the story is not about a super-team.

2 minutes ago, Jussi said:

Interesting.

As I said above though, I do think it has become unwieldy now.  Part of the great appeal of Sanderson was that he had so many unique worlds and you could jump in anywhere.  Nightblood showing up in WoR loses all significance if you have not read Warbreaker.  :dunno: 

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Interesting.

As I said above though, I do think it has become unwieldy now.  Part of the great appeal of Sanderson was that he had so many unique worlds and you could jump in anywhere.  Nightblood showing up in WoR loses all significance if you have not read Warbreaker.  :dunno: 

You miight have lost the significance of that showing up, but you don't lose the significance of the book. I had never heard of Nightblood or Warbreaker until you just brought it up, but the book still worked just fine.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

You miight have lost the significance of that showing up, but you don't lose the significance of the book. I had never heard of Nightblood or Warbreaker until you just brought it up, but the book still worked just fine.

Been a while since I read it, but IIRC it was kind of a big deal when a late chapter ends with a sword talking to someone about eliminating some evil.

Served as a major tease, but you and other readers didn't know what it was teasing.  By comparison, when the training guy is in there and a lot of his metaphors have colors in them but there's not anything else; its okay to not know that he was a Warbreaker crossover.  It didn't add anything to the story.  The sword being front and center as a tease felt more significant to me.

:dunno: 

Sorry I'm so off on this one, its obviously been a long time since I read it and it was a big book...

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Been a while since I read it, but IIRC it was kind of a big deal when a late chapter ends with a sword talking to someone about eliminating some evil.

Served as a major tease, but you and other readers didn't know what it was teasing.  By comparison, when the training guy is in there and a lot of his metaphors have colors in them but there's not anything else; its okay to not know that he was a Warbreaker crossover.  It didn't add anything to the story.  The sword being front and center as a tease felt more significant to me.

:dunno: 

Sorry I'm so off on this one, its obviously been a long time since I read it and it was a big book...

Again, it didn't matter. I didn't know about the sword and the book and scene still worked. The tie-ins don't matter so long as the works standalone by themselves, which is the case with the Stormlight books.

1 hour ago, Jussi said:

In terms of initial hardcover sales boosts, I'd be interested to see if that is the case. WoR hit #1 on the NYT bestseller list, like the last few WoT books, so that's certainly possible.

In terms of overall sales, Sanderson is at about 20% of Jordan's total sales, which isn't too bad going at all.

1 hour ago, End of Disc One said:

I remember Sanderson saying a few months ago that he believes that he, Rothfuss, and Butcher are all about even in total books sold, and are the runners up behind GRRM out of the current epic fantasy authors.

Rothfuss's figure was 10 million a year ago, Sanderson's latest figures take him up to about 22 million. But Rothfuss's sales are for 2 books (3 if you count the novella), Sanderson's are for about 25. Rothfuss probably has far more readers than Sanderson.

Butcher, as far as I can tell, is at around 10 million, which is decent going not on either Sanderson or Rothfuss's level, since he has, what, about 20 books?

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

In terms of initial hardcover sales boosts, I'd be interested to see if that is the case. WoR hit #1 on the NYT bestseller list, like the last few WoT books, so that's certainly possible.

In terms of overall sales, Sanderson is at about 20% of Jordan's total sales, which isn't too bad going at all.

Rothfuss's figure was 10 million a year ago, Sanderson's latest figures take him up to about 22 million. But Rothfuss's sales are for 2 books (3 if you count the novella), Sanderson's are for about 25. Rothfuss probably has far more readers than Sanderson.

Butcher, as far as I can tell, is at around 10 million, which is decent going not on either Sanderson or Rothfuss's level, since he has, what, about 20 books?

I think that on that number he had in mind, he didn't count the three Wheel of Time books that he wrote. And rightly so. People were going to read those books anyway (regardless of who wrote them), and I don't think that he got that much money for them (i.e he got less money for a Wheel of Time book than for the other books he wrote).

So, I guess all three of Rothfuss, Butcher and Sanderson have sold around 10m books (with Sanderson having sold an another 12m as part of WoT). Rothfuss' numbers are kind of amazing, and will only grow when he released the third book and of course, the movies/TV show will push his numbers higher.

4 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

I think that on that number he had in mind, he didn't count the three Wheel of Time books that he wrote. And rightly so. People were going to read those books anyway (regardless of who wrote them), and I don't think that he got that much money for them (i.e he got less money for a Wheel of Time book than for the other books he wrote).

So, I guess all three of Rothfuss, Butcher and Sanderson have sold around 10m books (with Sanderson having sold an another 12m as part of WoT). Rothfuss' numbers are kind of amazing, and will only grow if he releases the third book and of course, the movies/TV show will push his numbers higher.

Fixed that for ya.

On 7.12.2016 at 8:08 PM, Rhom said:

Interesting.

Yea, but apparently Nightblood and it's owner originally appeared in the proto-version of WoK. Sanderson had their detailed backgrounds all worked out and _then_ decided to utilize them in a standalone novel, which turned into "Warbreaker". But they were conceived as SA characters first and would have been in it regardless, so complaints about unwieldliness kinda miss the point in this particular case ;).

My Facebook has this from Brandon Sanderson 6 hours ago:

That's a wrap, folks. Oathbringer is done at 461,223 words. Still much work to do, but we have a first draft. November 2017 release date.

Machine.

We might see Dragonsteel after the fifth Stormlight novel. This is from an earlier update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/d7ffe3n/

Question:

Also, is there any chance of the Dragonsteel series starting before the second set of Stromlight Archive comes out?

Answer:

Yes, there is a chance on the second.

Archived