TTTNE 457: Late Summer at Casterly Rock--Travels and Hugos and School OH MY!

DreamSongs

@Buck (not quoting because I might see what's in the forbidden spoiler tag)

[spoiler] I agree about Ronica and Serilla. One thing that struck me about Serilla (and one of the the things you might be referring to) is that she's just not very good at dealing with traders. For example at the Concourse she strides bedecked with jewelry and fancy clothes, while all the traders have just had their houses and wardrobes looted. Serilla thinks is a way to establish superiority but to Ronica it's just plain offensive. There are more examples like these.

Oh, Livships is definitely more 'female'. Really strong undercurrents of feminist views present in this trilogy, but not in a bad way, it fits the story and come through the voices of the characters rather than the author. Farseer didn't have that, and had more male characters, especially in positions of power. I understand what you mean. Gender role issues are encountered all over the place in Bingtown (and via characters like Althea and Ronica) but not nearly as present in the Six Duchies, were things are already more 'progressive' and a bunch of the most important characters just happen to have penises as well.

I agree about Malta and the Satrap too. We're really seeing eye-to-eye today :P

Also, I'm really really hoping that Burrich will find out that Fitz is alive in Tawny Man :D But don't say anything about that :P [/spoiler]

Thanks for the tip about Rain Wilds, it's good advice but I don't think any libraries near me have them. I'll see, in any case I have to finish Liveship Traders and Tawny Man first.

Oh, according to their site, my library has RWC. Bless, I never thought I'd see this day :commie: I can't recall the ast time my library had a book I wanted.

Odds that I'll read RWC have increased by 50%, now that I can do it free of charge.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM8StjxWsAAw1w3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CM734O7XAAEZGxK.jpg

Note the OT Stormtroopers and OT Falcon.

Yep, I saw that too. These were approved by Lucasfilm though, according to Jedi Council Forums. Some claim it's to show a balance between old and new but that's sounds like bullshit. Other than that I really like these though.

(I have to admit I only noticed that the Falcon was different earlier today when I looked at a picture).

There is a Fools Assassin thread. I haven't read Fool's Quest yet.

Locked.

@Buck (not quoting because I might see what's in the forbidden spoiler tag)

[spoiler] I agree about Ronica and Serilla. One thing that struck me about Serilla (and one of the the things you might be referring to) is that she's just not very good at dealing with traders. For example at the Concourse she strides bedecked with jewelry and fancy clothes, while all the traders have just had their houses and wardrobes looted. Serilla thinks is a way to establish superiority but to Ronica it's just plain offensive. There are more examples like these.

Oh, Livships is definitely more 'female'. Really strong undercurrents of feminist views present in this trilogy, but not in a bad way, it fits the story and come through the voices of the characters rather than the author. Farseer didn't have that, and had more male characters, especially in positions of power. I understand what you mean. Gender role issues are encountered all over the place in Bingtown (and via characters like Althea and Ronica) but not nearly as present in the Six Duchies, were things are already more 'progressive' and a bunch of the most important characters just happen to have penises as well.

I agree about Malta and the Satrap too. We're really seeing eye-to-eye today :P

Also, I'm really really hoping that Burrich will find out that Fitz is alive in Tawny Man :D But don't say anything about that :P [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I especially like how it is emphasised that women have an important role in the society and economy because they manage the estates while the men are around trading. *nods*

Interesting that you describe Six Duchies are progressive ... most of the characters do not see it that way, they think the further north you go, more undeveloped the world is. (Partly stolen from somewhere on the internet, cannot remember where): Jamaillia considers itself the top of the civilisation. Bingtown is an enlightment/renaissance trading town, with its own culture, highly developed fashion and architecture and art ... 6D are stuck in the middle ages, if you look at the descriptions of the architecture, working techniques, clothing, furnishing of rooms etc. You see the continuation of that in Tawny Man.

I think the gender discourse is more noticeable in Liveships than in any Fitzy book, at least as far as I can remember. And TBH, I cannot even remember what the rules of inheritance are in 6D - Shrewd only had sons. Helena, BB, anybody knows? In Bingtown, I know that the son usually inherited the family estate, but only under Chalcedean influence have women begun to have more of a passive role, which Ronica and Althea surely do not want to put up with.[/spoiler]

Oh, according to their site, my library has RWC. Bless, I never thought I'd see this day :commie: I can't recall the ast time my library had a book I wanted.

Odds that I'll read RWC have increased by 50%, now that I can do it free of charge.

Hah, lucky you! I had to buy them all. Luckily they are not expensive, but there is four of them. :dunno: Well, at least they are paperbacks and pretty!

I was lucky to borrow two of the Liveships and the whole Tawny Man.

Yep, I saw that too. These were approved by Lucasfilm though, according to Jedi Council Forums. Some claim it's to show a balance between old and new but that's sounds like bullshit. Other than that I really like these though.

(I have to admit I only noticed that the Falcon was different earlier today when I looked at a picture).

I think it's either something really cool, or JJ is messing with people, or it's just some sort of composite/abstract piece.

I have to admit, I think your SW hype haz started to rub off on me...

Good! Use your fangirlish feelings, girl. Let the hype flow through you!

Come up to DC in November.  I will :leer: with you :leer:

darling i am actually planning a trip for late october could that work for you??  :leer:  :leer:

Happy spamming from WorldCon, having fun with Lily and Maid. Got to meet the lovelies Fragile Bird and Elder Sister.

The smoke filled skies are reminding me of Mordor, though.

well keep the one ring close and tell all the lovely ladies I am with y'all in spirit and am sending  :leer:  :leer:  :leer:  :leer: :leer:  y'alls way...one for each ;)

[spoiler]I especially like how it is emphasised that women have an important role in the society and economy because they manage the estates while the men are around trading. *nods*
Interesting that you describe Six Duchies are progressive ... most of the characters do not see it that way, they think the further north you go, more undeveloped the world is. (Partly stolen from somewhere on the internet, cannot remember where): Jamaillia considers itself the top of the civilisation. Bingtown is an enlightment/renaissance trading town, with its own culture, highly developed fashion and architecture and art ... 6D are stuck in the middle ages, if you look at the descriptions of the architecture, working techniques, clothing, furnishing of rooms etc. You see the continuation of that in Tawny Man.
I think the gender discourse is more noticeable in Liveships than in any Fitzy book, at least as far as I can remember. And TBH, I cannot even remember what the rules of inheritance are in 6D - Shrewd only had sons. Helena, BB, anybody knows? In Bingtown, I know that the son usually inherited the family estate, but only under Chalcedean influence have women begun to have more of a passive role, which Ronica and Althea surely do not want to put up with.[/spoiler]

Hah, lucky you! I had to buy them all. Luckily they are not expensive, but there is four of them. :dunno: Well, at least they are paperbacks and pretty!
I was lucky to borrow two of the Liveships and the whole Tawny Man.

[spoiler] Well, I meant progressive in terms of gender roles. Mad Ship said that women have it easier in the 6D than in Bingtowown or Chalced. But yeah, the 6D are behind in pretty much everything else.

Women have a VERY passive role in Chalced. The Satrap just told Malta, 'In Chalced no man's woman is every man's woman.' Yikes. I really hope Malta gets away from him soon. [/spoiler]

I think it's either something really cool, or JJ is messing with people, or it's just some sort of composite/abstract piece.

Probably the latter. Still great pictures IMO.

I'm glad tibits about TFA are coming more quickly now. Btw how much spoilers have you read? I know the very general outline of the story, but there are really detailed reports about what happens.

[spoiler] Well, I meant progressive in terms of gender roles. Mad Ship said that women have it easier in the 6D than in Bingtowown or Chalced. But yeah, the 6D are behind in pretty much everything else.

Women have a VERY passive role in Chalced. The Satrap just told Malta, 'In Chalced no man's woman is every man's woman.' Yikes. I really hope Malta gets away from him soon. [/spoiler]

Probably the latter. Still great pictures IMO.

I'm glad tibits about TFA are coming more quickly now. Btw how much spoilers have you read? I know the very general outline of the story, but there are really detailed reports about what happens.

I read Making Star Wars' scene by scene synopsis of the entire movie. [spoiler]It largely matches up with the leaks/reveals so far.[/spoiler]

I was swimming in the sea today and I am going to the zoo tomorrow! :)

[spoiler]Maybe they have. I do not rememeber that quote, but I can see why it would be said so. They are pretty equal in the 6D, with women also being soldiers and in other trades.

Yeah, Chalced is ... Chalced. *sigh*[/spoiler]

If you insist ...

Are you not playing pictionary ... or did the host disappear? :s I hope all is well with Neumond.

I was swimming in the sea today and I am going to the zoo tomorrow! :)

[spoiler]Maybe they have. I do not rememeber that quote, but I can see why it would be said so. They are pretty equal in the 6D, with women also being soldiers and in other trades.

Yeah, Chalced is ... Chalced. *sigh*[/spoiler]

If you insist ...

Are you not playing pictionary ... or did the host disappear? :s I hope all is well with Neumond.

Spoiler for the last Liveship book.

[Spoiler]

The chalcedeans are comedically evil. Would have been nice to have a little more nuance to them. Hobb does a particularly bad job of writing rape. There are two instances and neither quite gets the horror across, and the fallout of neither is really investigated. It's such a horrible concept that it has to be handled with real skill or not at all.

[/Spoiler]

I was down for playing Pictionary, but Neumond hasn't posted since the 10th. Hasn't read my message. I asked if anyone knew where they were, but no one did. :grouphug:

Archived