Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

The Meribrother character is to support Sandor, and I think he's important. He has been in the main cast from the start.

So was Jaime Larry and he wound up as Bronn's sidekick in Dorne ... I think Sandor is important to Sansa's story in the novels, but they've butchered Sansa's story and before that they downplayed the bond between her and Sandor anyway on the show. I'm still deeply annoyed by this casting, sorry. At this point, they could do all my favorite scenes from Feast and Dance and write a love-letter to book fans and I would still be annoyed (though I think I have a greater likelihood of being struck by lightning than of any of this happening). I can't erase what they've done in season 4 and season 5 from my memory.

It's the antidote to GoT! Compare and contrast approaches to adaptation and female characters and viewers.

Outlander is the antidote to a lot of crappy "romance" stories targeted towards women. And it has A LOT of tropes that many would consider sexist or antifeminist (like, damsel in disgrace). And somehow, the protagonist is still a strong female character.

Ok, not "somehow". It's due to good characterization and writing.

Outlander is the antidote to a lot of crappy "romance" stories targeted towards women. And it has A LOT of tropes that many would consider sexist or antifeminist (like, damsel in disgrace). And somehow, the protagonist is still a strong female character.

Ok, not "somehow". It's due to good characterization and writing.

Yeah, I think reducing everything to tropes and hanging labels is missing some good stories, there's the quote from the bible, there is nothing new under the sun. It's all in the telling of the stories.

So was Jaime Larry and he wound up as Bronn's sidekick in Dorne ... I think Sandor is important to Sansa's story in the novels, but they've butchered Sansa's story and before that they downplayed the bond between her and Sandor anyway on the show. I'm still deeply annoyed by this casting, sorry. At this point, they could do all my favorite scenes from Feast and Dance and write a love-letter to book fans and I would still be annoyed (though I think I have a greater likelihood of being struck by lightning than of any of this happening). I can't erase what they've done in season 4 and season 5 from my memory.

My problem with them is that, in books, Sansa will likely discover something new with Sandor, either sex or simple sexual arousal.

Now, in shows, she's "broken" and hurt. He is going to "cure" her. That's is so fucked up! "Oh, I was beaten and raped but I'll be better now I bed this amazing guy and be cured and saved by the power of his dick".

My problem with them is that, in books, Sansa will likely discover something new with Sandor, either sex or simple sexual arousal.

Now, in shows, she's "broken" and hurt. He is going to "cure" her. That's is so fucked up! "Oh, I was beaten and raped but I'll be better now I bed this amazing guy and be cured and saved by the power of his dick".

I can't even begin to take her story seriously. They chose to have her brutally raped night after night as a virgin, does that sound like they give a shit about her? But if she were to have a loving sexual experience, I would just see it as that. Just someone loving her, that's all.

LOL, like D&D have any interest whatsoever in writing about Sansa's sexual pleasure or romantic happiness as an end in of itself. I don't want to bang the "D&D won't write about Sansa's happiness because they don't care about her character" drum, but, well, if the shoe fits...

With that said, I don't buy the "Sansa reminds D&D of the cheerleader who spurned them in high school, and therefore they want to punish her." I dunno about D.B. Weiss, but what would give anyone the idea that a cheerleader would have spurned Benioff in high school? A lesbian cheerleader, maybe. If Ralph Fiennes and Eric Bana had a baby, it would look like Benioff. He's also tall and rich, even before college (his father was a former head of Goldman Sachs). Any guy in high school ticking the tall, rich, and handsome boxes in high school would never lack for his preferred romantic company. Nothing about Benioff screams "former high school nerd struggling with the scars of romantic rejection." He was in not only a frat but also a secret society at Dartmouth, for crying out loud. Guys like that aren't gnashing their teeth over the women who brutally rejected their romantic advances, because 1) there aren't any, and 2) they're too busy fending off hordes of admirers vying for their romantic attention. And I doubt anyone married to Amanda Peet, who was considered one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, would be dedicating his current fictional efforts to redress past slights from women who spurned him if any such women existed.

I actually have trouble envisioning TV Sansa in any kind of happy romantic or sexual relationship, with a guy at least. Could be the actress, I suppose. TV Sansa/Margaery had some really nice chemistry. D&D have shied away from the same-sex dabbling in the books for Cersei and Dany (apart from that bit with Doreah straddling Dany in Season 1, I guess), but they have teased two female characters who were either stated to be--Myranda--or hinted to be--Margaery--attracted to Sansa, so maybe they will go there with some mutual same-sex attraction next season. It would give Sansa something to do, at least, and would be good for ratings and for generating controversy (leading to huffy articles about how traumatic experiences with guys don't turn straight women into lesbians and how GOT is reinforcing hurtful stereotypes, LOL). The affair will have to go horribly wrong, of course, so that Sansa suffers an "appropriate" amount commensurate with past seasons. Sounds like a plan! (...Kidding. I hope?)

Guys, this is funny. You're gonna laugh.

This tweet happened: https://twitter.com/WatchersOTWall/status/644285723319869440

I RT'ed with these words: "Why they keep casting irrelevant people and not, say, THE FUCKING PROTAGONIST OF DORNE, ARIANNE?!"

Then I closed the tab and opened again. And this happened. (it says "tweet not available).

So, I went to check what the f happened...

THIS  happened.

They BLOCKED me.

They blocked me because I criticised the show :dunno:

Now is personal, Watchers. Now is personal...

(I still can RT you manually... :dunno:)

Wow. Real professional! 

Guys, this is funny. You're gonna laugh.

This tweet happened: https://twitter.com/WatchersOTWall/status/644285723319869440

I RT'ed with these words: "Why they keep casting irrelevant people and not, say, THE FUCKING PROTAGONIST OF DORNE, ARIANNE?!"

Then I closed the tab and opened again. And this happened. (it says "tweet not available).

So, I went to check what the f happened...

THIS  happened.

They BLOCKED me.

They blocked me because I criticised the show :dunno:

Now is personal, Watchers. Now is personal...

(I still can RT you manually... :dunno:)

LOL, maybe they blocked you not because you "criticized the show," but because you were ranting in all caps about the "FUCKING PROTAGONIST OF DORNE." Abusive language, even when not directed at the poster, and all-caps--the Internet equivalent of shouting--is a banworthy offence on most heavily-moderated, tightly-run ships on Twitter or other message boards. 

You cannot block critics. It makes you look like a brat.

Critics, no. Jerks? Absolutely. If they can't express themselves in a civil fashion, which is pretty common on the Internet, blocking posters who act like jerks is completely acceptable. You don't get a licence to behave like a jerk because you have a Twitter account and then take issue with a lack of professionalism when said jerky behaviour results in consequences (blocking, in this case). If you can be blocked for being a racist, sexist, or homophobe on Twitter, you can be blocked for acting like a jerk, and rightly so.

If they insult you, yeah, totally understandable. But I said nothing against them: my comment was against the show.

So what? You said with a hostile, all-caps mini-rant about the "FUCKING PROTAGONIST." If anyone was being "unprofessional" as in uncivil and rude, it was you. It's not unprofessional to block someone who uses profanity or all caps to express an opinion on one's Twitter. It's professional to weed out posters incapable of expressing themselves in a temperate fashion and prevent them from clogging up a Twitter with shouty rants.

It really doesn't look like you were blocked for "criticizing the show," as you claim.

• 1 month later...

My wit and wisdom is gone! gone! <O> 

I can still find some of your wit and wisdom on Twitter and Tumlr, though, right?  If only I could figure out Tumblr in any type of capacity.  All this time travelling and I fear I must admit..........it's most giving me LOST flashbacks, shows and boards.  I don't like this version of the board, LOL, and I recall having the same problem when LOST forums got fugly looking, LOL  

What is up with the forum? I can't see anything.

Also I have less posts. Huh.

Talk about less posts.

I am down to a commoner from a council member. Who will now give council to the king????

Anyway, ranting and raving must go on. These pety changes will not stop us bashing respectfully criticizing the show :commie:

Archived