2016 NFL Wildcard cont: Their Bones Will Turn To ICE!

Jace, Extat

Yeah, if the average football fan is the target audience for this Benghazi movie, maybe Kalbear is right and we should all stop watching.

By the way, the premiere for it is at Cowboys Stadium... Ugh....

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/13-Hours-Movie-to-Debut-at-ATT-Stadium-Tuesday-364628351.html

I should go wearing a Bernie Sanders TShirt

Four winners of terrible divisions were knocked out this weekend, although two of them came close at least. Only the Vikings had a real advantage from home field and, even with the best possible break they could have got (the freeze suits their game and hobbles a Lynch-less Hawks), they still couldn't win.

I hope the really weak divisions improve next year.

Four winners of terrible divisions were knocked out this weekend, although two of them came close at least. Only the Vikings had a real advantage from home field and, even with the best possible break they could have got (the freeze suits their game and hobbles a Lynch-less Hawks), they still couldn't win.

I hope the really weak divisions improve next year.

The AFC North isn't a terrible division. 

Well, my rooting interests are super easy next week. In each game there is a team I am sick and tired of, two of which I actively dislike.

So, Chiefs, Cardinals, Broncos, and Panthers fans, as I will be rooting for your team, I apologise in advance.

To the fans of the four teams I rooted for this week, I just apologise.

I'm pretty sure this one is over.  Washington's D was exploited- much the way Jaime said they would be.  Cousins played fine, but they needed him to be next-to-perfect and he could not do it all alone (he DID have a lost fumble in GB territory that swung 6 to 10 points, but overall the Packers were just much better). 

I sort of feel like the NFC's 4 best teams are playing next week; not entirely sure I can say that about the AFC.

Yep, this is exactly it. It unfolded pretty much just how I was afraid it would. Our defense was pure smoke and mirrors all season and that shit just doesn't work against an elite QB. They never really had a prayer of getting off the field in the final 3 quarters which is just a crushing experience as a fan, especially after that inspiring start.

And GB's defense actually could disrupt us. GB's defense isn't all-world but unlike our defense it actually has some teeth to it and it showed. This was the shakiest performance by Cousins in over a month. He had some good plays, some bad. It's just that had gotten too accustomed to him being seamlessly devastating out there. Just further proof of how much different a QB generally is when he's uncomfortable (see also: Aaron Rodgers' last month). Also not coincidentally the shakiest performance by this O-line in a long awhile. Most shockingly it was Trent Williams who wasn't holding up - Clay Matthews was a monster. 

At least Jordan Reed proved he's ready for primetime. Even a team great at defending TEs like GB had no answer for him. Yeah he still can't block but he's the only guy elite at anything on this roster. 

All the same, can't be too upset. This team was playing with house money just by improbably making the playoffs. Yeah they won a terrible division, but I'm absolutely taking 9 wins in a year where most everyone had this team between 30-32 in their preseason power rankings. So yeah it's clear they're nowhere close to good enough but hopefully this is a building block. It would've been fun to be the team eviscerated by the Cardinals but looks like the Packers have that role filled. 

The Packers O line won that game.  I really did not expect that.  Murphy made the safety in the first quarter and that was the only sack (and virtually the only pressure) of the game.  But once we could get no pressure on Rodgers without blitzing and the Packers run game got going, a GB victory was more or less assured.  Maybe if the offense had played an A+ game they could have kept pace, but they weren't very sharp either.

We lost because we got outplayed, and that's what happens.  Nowhere near the devastating losses that the Bengals and Vikes fans had to deal with.    Just have to maintain perspective that it was a good season for us.  We have a lot of good pieces in place on offense.  The O line didn't have a great game, but they are mostly young and getting better.  Reed is a beast.  Cousins will be back and hopefully he can continue to improve.  The defense lacks talent, but there were a lot of young guys out there playing.  Get a little younger on D line and we could be pretty good on that side of the ball as well.  The Giants and Eagles are rebuilding, and the Cowboys always think they're closer than they really are.  There's a lot more optimism going into this offseason than there has been since 2005.

The Packers O line won that game.  I really did not expect that.  Murphy made the safety in the first quarter and that was the only sack (and virtually the only pressure) of the game.  But once we could get no pressure on Rodgers without blitzing and the Packers run game got going, a GB victory was more or less assured.  Maybe if the offense had played an A+ game they could have kept pace, but they weren't very sharp either.

We lost because we got outplayed, and that's what happens.  Nowhere near the devastating losses that the Bengals and Vikes fans had to deal with.    Just have to maintain perspective that it was a good season for us.  We have a lot of good pieces in place on offense.  The O line didn't have a great game, but they are mostly young and getting better.  Reed is a beast.  Cousins will be back and hopefully he can continue to improve.  The defense lacks talent, but there were a lot of young guys out there playing.  Get a little younger on D line and we could be pretty good on that side of the ball as well.  The Giants and Eagles are rebuilding, and the Cowboys always think they're closer than they really are.  There's a lot more optimism going into this offseason than there has been since 2005.

Yeah we saw it the same way. 

So goodbye RGIII and AlfMo. Thanks for some awesome memories.

Where do we go in the draft? So much to fix. D-line? Secondary? Another pass rusher? RB or is Matt Jones good enough? 

Yeah we saw it the same way. 

So goodbye RGIII and AlfMo. Thanks for some awesome memories.

Where do we go in the draft? So much to fix. D-line? Secondary? Another pass rusher? RB or is Matt Jones good enough? 

Ideally, I would say either a stud D lineman or a safety.  But it's always BPA, so really anywhere on the defense would be fine.  We need more talent at all three levels.  I don't think we actually need to spend a high draft pick on a rb, although if there's someone really great, I guess I would be ok with it.  Hell, I wouldn't mind drafting a WR or another O lineman either really, we need more talent across the board.  We got legit contributions from a lot of rookies this year in Scherff (1st), Smith (2nd), Jones (3rd), Crowder (4th), Jarrett (6th), and Dunbar (UFA).  Depth in draft matters, not just one stud and a bunch of backups like it has been for years.

Best of luck to RG3 and AllMo.  I was really hoping that Morris would have a vintage run tonight, just to get a huge ovation from the crowd.  He had one 19 yarder, but still.  

Ideally, I would say either a stud D lineman or a safety.  But it's always BPA, so really anywhere on the defense would be fine.  We need more talent at all three levels.  I don't think we actually need to spend a high draft pick on a rb, although if there's someone really great, I guess I would be ok with it.  Hell, I wouldn't mind drafting a WR or another O lineman either really, we need more talent across the board.  We got legit contributions from a lot of rookies this year in Scherff (1st), Smith (2nd), Jones (3rd), Crowder (4th), Jarrett (6th), and Dunbar (UFA).  Depth in draft matters, not just one stud and a bunch of backups like it has been for years.

Best of luck to RG3 and AllMo.  I was really hoping that Morris would have a vintage run tonight, just to get a huge ovation from the crowd.  He had one 19 yarder, but still.  

Yep agreed with BPA. At least I'm confident in McCloughan's ability to find value.

Talent's the biggest issue but I'm also not convinced Joe Barry is a good enough DC. Sometimes guys look less talented than they are because a DC doesn't know how to cover up their weaknesses. I fear the only thing keeping it from being completely exposed was a bunch of fumble luck and a weak slate of opposing offenses and that even with a talent infusion next year's first place schedule will make it even more obvious. I hope I'm wrong. There were moments this year...but Haslett's D had moments too in 2012. Just don't want to see this fragile success sabotaged.

Yep agreed with BPA. At least I'm confident in McCloughan's ability to find value.

Talent's the biggest issue but I'm also not convinced Joe Barry is a good enough DC. Sometimes guys look less talented than they are because a DC doesn't know how to cover up their weaknesses. I fear the only thing keeping it from being completely exposed was a bunch of fumble luck and a weak slate of opposing offenses and that even with a talent infusion next year's first place schedule will make it even more obvious. I hope I'm wrong. There were moments this year...but Haslett's D had moments too in 2012. Just don't want to see this fragile success sabotaged.

Barry at times looked good, I do think that most of the time he was making do with what talent he had.  But I'm not sold on him long term, we'll see if it seems like the defense is close to making the next step once we get a bit more talent there.  Really there are only two guys who I'd say are clearly above average on the entire defense:  Breeland and Kerrigan.  And in both cases, I can come up with several guys right off the top of my head that are better than them at their positions.  

Building a football team takes time.  We made good strides this year.  The real question is whether we can continue going forward when we have a much harder schedule in the NFC and within the division (the East is not going to be that weak again).

Why not? Two new coaches and the Cowboys?

I suppose you're managing expectations, but the Washingtons are in as good a position as any to win the east.

Seconded. How's the East suddenly going to get better? If Romo manages to stay healthy for an entire season they could be tough to chase, but the Giants and Eagles are a hot mess right now. 

Archived