Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

Shouldn't have been a penalty with the earlier foul on Ozil, but oh well - Monreal shouldn't be sticking a foot out like that even if he doesn't touch anything with it. These days strikers are looking for any excuse to go down. Easy to say in hindsight I guess, but Vardy had already lost control of the ball.

Still a half of football to go - game not over yet by any means. I wonder if Wenger will try Walcott.

The yellow cards are going to hurt us. Coquelin, Ramsey and Koscielny are possibly the three worst people to be playing on yellows in terms of defense.

Not convinced that was a penalty. Looked harsh to me. Arsenal created opportunities but, as is too often the case, they failed to capitalise while Leicester improved as the half progressed. A win or even a draw here for Leicester will make them title favourites. Incredible story especially considering that this time last year they looked doomed to be relegated.

Re: the penalty:

Vardy certainly goes for it. He hasn't lost control of the ball, he pushes it past Monreal. What he cannot do is change direction fast enough. So he's helped immensly by Monreal sticking out his foot. Once Monreal actually did that, the penalty became hard to avoid. Vardy could have tried to avoid it, and we would all be glad if he did, but he didn't.

I tend to agree that Arsenal should have had a penalty when Kanté handled. Sure, it was from close range, and his hand was along his torso, but for me it's cruicial that he moved it there, conciously or reflexively, to stop the ball from passing him on his left. Those situations are hard for the refs, though, with all the changes over the years, and the ambiguity as to what is actually a handball.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Arsenal really need to realise one thing: Leicester not winning this game might be handing the title to Tottenham. Give up, Gunners!

It's funny, I've accepted Leicester winning the title as a thing that could happen but my brain just rejects the idea of Tottenham as champions, it's just so wrong. 

Archived