Batman and Superman IV: "Do you bleed?" "Only on the home release..." (Now with SPOILERS)

Rhom

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

I can't tell you how much I think this sucks... It is the worst scenario for my fandom... 

It was inevitable this box office performance, I expected it.

Rhom is right though I am curious to see how big the second week drop off will be. Word of mouth seems to be tepid about it from what I gather. Some people did really like it, but others thought it was just ok, but there is a significant portion that thought it was disappointing. This will have an effect on week 2 where Star Wars so many people said it was great and were going to see it again and bring other people with them with only a small amount saying it was bad.

I really think Snyder's role is going to be diminished but probably this current continuity will go on for the next 5-10 years hinging on WW, SS, and JL are recieved.

Also if Civil War does better not only opening weekend but has good critical reviews and good word of mouth, hence strong second and third week showings, that will be a factor too.

So if you really enjoy Civil War, see it more than once.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

So it made $170 million domestically over the weekend and $400 some odd worldwide which makes it one of the biggest superhero openings ever.

Anyone hoping for a change to the franchise based on box office will need to find a new reason to hope...

Collider are saying that was an overestimation, it's still pretty huge (domestically 166 compared to 170 and worldwirde 420 compared to 424,) this is because it has apparently set a new record for Friday to Sunday domestic drop rate for a superhero film 55% (FF4 dropped 48%.) http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office-record/

Be very interesting to see how it holds out next weekend.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Oh and just because I forgot to put it in my earlier post, I found it absolutely hilarious how often they mentioned that the area where they were fighting Doomsday was deserted.

I saw the review that picked up on that before I saw it so I was looking out for it.......I counted two. 

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Collider are saying that was an overestimation, it's still pretty huge (domestically 166 compared to 170 and worldwirde 420 compared to 424,) this is because it has apparently set a new record for Friday to Sunday domestic drop rate for a superhero film 55% (FF4 dropped 48%.) http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office-record/

Be very interesting to see how it holds out next weekend.

Well... Sunday was Easter.  Dunno if that's the best time to go see a Superhero beat 'em up. :dunno: 

Although, with all the Christ allegories maybe it's not so far off. :lol: 

Is BvS the new Ben-Hur?

to Derfel : i know leto plays the joker in SQ and potentially in a new Batman movie, its just that i got the feeling that he is dead at this point. especially since he has obviously killed robin and propably sent batman overboard.

2 hours ago, koudoulis said:

Is BvS the new Ben-Hur?

to Derfel : i know leto plays the joker in SQ and potentially in a new Batman movie, its just that i got the feeling that he is dead at this point. especially since he has obviously killed robin and propably sent batman overboard.

I think Jared Leto's Joker used to be Batfleck's Robin. There was an interchange between Bruce and Alfred at one point that seems to indicate that. I do not rememebr the exact dialogue. But Bruce was saying how everyone in Gotham eventually gets corrupted. I think the original Joker broke Robin and made him his successor. Batfleck probably killed Joker. Or it could be even deranged Robin who killed Joker to take the mantle.

7 hours ago, trickster said:

I think Jared Leto's Joker used to be Batfleck's Robin. There was an interchange between Bruce and Alfred at one point that seems to indicate that. I do not rememebr the exact dialogue. But Bruce was saying how everyone in Gotham eventually gets corrupted. I think the original Joker broke Robin and made him his successor. Batfleck probably killed Joker. Or it could be even deranged Robin who killed Joker to take the mantle.

i like that...

I went out to see it last night. I enjoyed it, but mainly because my expectations were checked by the advance reviews. I'd rate it a bit below MoS but a on par with Age of Ultron, mainly because both spend time on setting up sequels when additional scenes could've fleshed out the movie better.

As long as it was, you could feel that there were a bunch of scenes ripped out of BvS. I wish they had kept them in and had less setup for Justice League. Especially the Batman dream. I get that it was needed as a way to show Batman's paranoia in wanting to kill Superman, but having Flash being the one behind it was just confusing to people not familiar with Flash.

(My wife and sons had no idea Flash could time travel. I only know because I saw a few episodes of the tv show and recently watched the newer DC Justice League movies. Before that, I just thought he was a dude who ran really fast)

For those saying the last scene was was too on the nose and unnecessary, it was very important for people who are not familiar with the comics. My 10 year old son got really excited when the dirt moved. "He's alive!"

Personally, I didn't find the setup to the main fight boring at all. I enjoyed Bruce and Alfred's interactions a lot. Irons nailed it. Their conversations felt both fresh and yet like old friends building on previous conversations/debates. 

Another random thought here: 

(sorry. I feel like I'm emulating the editing of the movie by jumping around :)

Regarding seeing the Waynes* killed again, it totally made sense to do it here given the role of their mothers in the final confrontation. I had forgotten their mothers shared a name (not sure I even made that connection). I'm not a fan of origin stories for the most part, but that prologue fit this movie perfectly. I just wish they hadn't felt the need to have Lois fly out there to make them see sense.

Speaking of Lois: I really like Adams in this role. I just really dislike how far they involve her in the climaxes. It sort of worked in MoS (she was in the ship and had the knowledge to defeat the machine). There was no reason it had to be her to catch a helicopter across the bay (which just dropped her off i the wrong part of town and left) to point out that Superman's mother was in danger. Especially when Superman was already making Batman see that before she popped in. And if she hadn't been there, it would've given Batman something to do during the fight between titans to retrieve the spear. I liked the moment Clark and Lois shared before he flew off with the poisonous spear, but not why she was there.

Sorry for the ramble. :) I liked the movie. I think I will like it more after digesting it. 

Oh, and agreed: Wonder Woman rocked. I thought her level of inclusion was perfect for this sotry. Looking forward to seeing more of her in her own movie and in JL.

*Maggie and Neegan!

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Because those always work...

On 3/30/2016 at 9:21 AM, Myrddin said:

As long as it was, you could feel that there were a bunch of scenes ripped out of BvS. I wish they had kept them in and had less setup for Justice League. Especially the Batman dream. I get that it was needed as a way to show Batman's paranoia in wanting to kill Superman, but having Flash being the one behind it was just confusing to people not familiar with Flash.

(My wife and sons had no idea Flash could time travel. I only know because I saw a few episodes of the tv show and recently watched the newer DC Justice League movies. Before that, I just thought he was a dude who ran really fast)

Was that actually Flash though?  Cyborg can also  sort-of time travel with the mother boxes and to me it looked much more like him.  Also I think that scene in particular is setting up another later plotline aside from Darkseid, that being Injustice.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Cyborg can time travel? 

Hmm guess I misremembered upon looking it up.  i thought Mother boxes could do that, seems they can't.  Still seems to me to look a lot more like Cyborg than Flash.

5 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Hmm guess I misremembered upon looking it up.  i thought Mother boxes could do that, seems they can't.  Still seems to me to look a lot more like Cyborg than Flash.

I think Mother Boxes can do that (or at least in some limited form, like project a hologram through time or something). I didn't realize they had changed Victor's origin to include a Mother Box.

Archived