Batman and Superman IV: "Do you bleed?" "Only on the home release..." (Now with SPOILERS)

Rhom

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is Affleck even signed on to do a Batman movie? I thought it was only JL movies? 

Either way I think they've screwed the pooch with Batman, they've put him in a strange position now you have this large world full of superheroes and massive monsters. How can he go back to what was the interesting part of his life, solving crimes and fighting smaller villains?

:dunno: 

They manage to do it with the comics.

13 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

If you're someone who has a problem with the Avengers not coming together in every Marvel film, you'll have that exact same problem here, if you aren't you won't. So just try not to worry about it.

I don't have a problem with it. My problem would be that Batman is a bit of an odd character that gets shared around different universes in the comics and have many different iterations. He sometimes exists in a realistic gritty world full of criminals and murderers, and somtimes he exists in a world of aliens and monsters. But you don't really ever feel its the same batman, like its just another version of that character being shown to you. 

It felt very strange having Afflecks Batman fighting Doomsday, and it didn't quite work. I don't think his version of Batman fits this world at all, and now they've tried to establish him in that world, its hard to imagine him going back to the small scale stuff.

43 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Is Affleck even signed on to do a Batman movie? I thought it was only JL movies? 

Either way I think they've screwed the pooch with Batman, they've put him in a strange position now you have this large world full of superheroes and massive monsters. How can he go back to what was the interesting part of his life, solving crimes and fighting smaller villains?

I think they can certainly keep his solo movies in that genre, but that's really his strength in terms of his role in the JL. He's their strategist, and is really probably the most key member of the group in that aspect. Despite the sort of threats the JL faces being out of his league in terms of raw power, he ends up pulling the league's fat out of the fire more often than not. 

And once again Batman alone can and will save the DC universe. How meta :lol:

But I feel bad for Batfleck.  First you receive shit , then turn out to be amazing, but then everything else turns out to be shit. Ben Affleck just can't catch a break. 

Similarly sorry for David Ayer and Patty Jenkins. They'll have to deal with the shit's fallout now, not to mention have its dark , long shadow cast upon them. 

Speaking of which,  if Snyder is still directing JL I'm going to WB and throwing my hat in the ring to direct a DC movie. Maybe Cyborg. Because that'll mean nothing is impossible in this universe of ours. 

I'm done with the DCEww. Maybe if everybody on the planet raves about SS I'll see it , until then to the Nolan movies & Animated-verse !

On that note, exactly when do you think Affleck started writing his screenplay ? 

I think something like this happened :

Affleck : So um Zack , how's things going ?

Snyder : Great! Great.  Just finished this scene wJesse's going 'The red capes are coming.... The red capes are coming'

Affleck : Ok....I'm going to write all my stuff myself from now , ok ? 

Snyder : Dialogues ?

Affleck: Movies 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I really hope this doesn't derail the Batfleck written and directed solo film.  Surely, a WB exec can look at all these reviews and say "What's the one thing everyone praises?" and then allow him to go forward. 

I highly doubt it would. It seems like the one universal praise is Batfleck. I'd actually be interested in the idea of having him direct JL.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Town had quite a bit of action in it. I wouldn't have a problem with them giving him a crack at it. 

I'd pay approximately all of the monnies to see Batman stand 10 feet away from a florist while they shoot the shit out of each other.

21 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'd pay approximately all of the monnies to see Batman stand 10 feet away from a florist while they shoot the shit out of each other.

Eh, it's been done...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/batmantheanimatedseries/images/4/4c/PP_54_-_Batman_vs_Ivy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150804230607

On 4/3/2016 at 11:00 AM, DaveSumm said:

Where it really falls down is that, in order to do this justice, you need someone who can do depth of character. Snyder really can't. You need to very clearly establish the two personalities and how this dynamic works, and there are just too few scenes where the two protagonists discuss why they feel the way they do. The fact that Superman has so few lines and we're still struggling to pin down how we feel about Cavill's portrayal is telling, Superman watches all of this debate around him and barely utters a word on his position. When he does, it's often more for plots sake to nudge the battle ever closer.

And this is my issue with the overall debate around Snyder's Superman; some would argue that he needs freshening up and that the traits of the old Superman are boring. I would argue that Snyder is actually trying to give us the same Superman, but he just isn't interested in portraying any of these old traits. They're still there, under the surface. Superman still can't stand by and watch a bus crash without helping, despite what Pa Kent told him. Faora tells us in Man of Steel that his morality is a weakness, in much the same way Zod operates in Superman II. This is the same Superman. He hasn't been replaced with one who has any meaningful differences, he's a cardboard cutout. Snyder is just more interested in the imagery and styling of these characters, not in analysing what makes them tick.  

Fully agreed with this analysis. I like Cavill as Superman but he just has so few lines ( if any!) to explain how he feels about this debate that is arising in society about his role. In addition to his action scenes being underplayed in this film, there is also little attempt to create a character here, someone you know a little bit. In that sense the comics or the Superman cartoon of the 90's did a much better job than these films do.

I saw it a couple of days ago. I think I'd agree with a lot of people in this thread that while the film isn't without some good points it's a bit of a mess overall. It does feel like there's a good film in there struggling to get out (probably a Batman film) but there are lots of flaws. I liked Batfleck and Jeremy Irons as Alfred, although I think they did need to work a bit harder establishing why Batman is so focused on killing Superman, I think the film makes a reasonable argument for why Bruce might want to be prepared to fight him if it becomes necessary, but it seems a bit of a leap to go from there to actually putting the plan into action. It doesn't help that one of the key bits of motivation is the dream sequence which I think manages to be the most baffling scene in the film, I don't know how Snyder ever thought including that was a good idea.

I don't feel Superman is a particularly interesting character in this film, he doesn't really get to do enough for his character to develop and it feels likes we barely see Clark Kent. I liked Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman but I'm not sure she really needed to be in the movie, and the introduction of the other superheroes was a scene that would have worked better as a post-credits sequence than in the middle of the film.

The villains were a big problem. Plenty of recent superhero films have had disappointing villains but none as annoying as this film's take on Lex Luthor who was incredibly irritating every time he appeared on screen and who didn't seem to get any explanation for what he was trying to do (unless the explanation is just that he's crazy). Then there was the big CGI thing at the end which was more of an animated obstacle than an actual villain, although the action sequence of the three heroes fighting it did make for a reasonable finale.

One problem of the dour tone is that I feel less inclined to forgive the flaws than for some of the weaker Marvel movies. While something like Age of Ultron has some similar structural problems to BvS, at least a lot of the individual scenes are entertaining even if the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It doesn't help that one of the key bits of motivation is the dream sequence which I think manages to be the most baffling scene in the film, I don't know how Snyder ever thought including that was a good idea.

Because it hints at Justice League, same reason all those email cameos were there. We didn't need those in the film.

I loved the movie. I can definitely see it's faults, but as an avid comic reader, the storyline all over the place is nothing new to me, and i quite enjoy the jumps to the future, the dream sequences, etc. Loved the action scenes, anything with Batman/Bruce Wayne was gold, Wonder woman looked awesome.

Even the Martha moment, which many people like to make fun of, was a PURE comic book moment. Batman hearing his mom's name, will affect him no matter what. It could have been done much better, but i totally understand what Snyder was going for. 

The bad :

Lex Luthor's speech at the part made me cringe, literally. I could not have hated that part more. 

Doomsday, still hated how he looked, although it got better with time during the fight as the bones started to appear. 

The justice league e-mail...oh boy, i have never been so excited yet disappointed at the same time as when i watched that. SO happy to finally see Aquaman and Flash on the big screen, but then again the Aquaman thing looked pretty bad, why did it seem like he was holding his breath? It was weird, and looked cheaply done. I was expecting them to cameo during the fight or something like that, but i still liked it even if it was one of the worst parts for me.

I must admit i'm quite relieved this was a box office failure. Looks like it will be roughly around $800m which is a very slim profit. Though considering it features 2 of the most loved superhero characters of all time it was always going to make that gross on reputation alone. There are far too many sloppily-written, noisy and downright moronic movies making crap-tonnes of money feeding into a myth that blockbusters shouldn't, or don't need to have a bit of thought put into them. Hopefully Michael Bay's future tripe also falls by the wayside

Archived