Acrophilia #9

yomi

I initially thought the theme was pairs of siblings too, (although I said pairs or groups as with 11 entries it couldn't be pairs) and although I paid to learn that was about half right I couldn't refine it correctly. I had a couple of POV characters in it incorrectly or I suppose might have noticed. I actually had more clues right than I thought - I was very unsure of several which messed up theme guessing. I don't mind the theme though.

i had rhaegar for 5 but then went ahead and spent the point and said is the answer to 5 a targ?? answer = no...so i moved on is the answer a frey...the only other real tyrant...answer no...so now who is a tyrant not a targ or frey....ummm tarly, key word was inheritor, no frey has inherited yet, and rhaegar was heir but dead when daddy died so no inheritor...and i had the theme so i knew it couldn't be sam but brother instead...

wicked good clue...

and siblings was obvious as soon as i realized nevermore meant crow's eye...nevermore...hahahahaha:smoking:

On 4/18/2016 at 0:03 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

That's 2 more ways than I can see.

DG, Now that you know the answer, I can elaborate on the 2 ways I used: 13 is in reference to one of the Qarth 13 or it is someone's age. I went with age first and sunshine was obviously Sunspear. The wiki records Trystane as being 13, so I believed it was more solid than the sunshine referring to the desert around Qarth. I felt it could only be Trystane or Xaro.

Round 2 Details

1. Twas infidelity scuttled nymph's nuptials.   -   Lyanna Stark

author: Fragile Bird

clue guessed correctly by 5 people = 4 points

favourite points = 1 points

guessing points = 30 points

theme points = 1 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = 3 points

sum = 36 points

2. 'Tramp''s impatient. - Scrounger - Neatly nixed.   -   Viserys Targaryen

author: lil' ghost

clue guessed correctly by 8 people = 3 points

favourite points = 2 points

guessing points = 6 points

theme points = 0 points

sum = 11 points

3. Tree inscriptions stop nearing northwest.   -   Benjen Stark

author: a shadow

clue guessed correctly by 7 people = 4 points

guessing points = 27 points

theme points = 1 point

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -2 points

sum = 35 points

4. Trout's ignoble spawn. Newlywed nincompoop.   -   Edemure Tully

author: rocksniffer

clue guessed correctly by 8 people = 4 points

theme points = 3 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -12 points

sum = 28 points

5. Tyrant’s inheritor. Supplanted nervous nelly.   -   Dickon Tarly

author: Night's Queen

clue guessed correctly by 6 people = 4 points

favourite points = 1 point

guessing points = 15 points

theme points = 0 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -1 point

sum = 22 points

6. Thirteen is sunshine's nascent noble.   -   Trystane Martell

author: SNA

clue guessed correctly by 7 people = 3 points

theme points = 0 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = 0 points

sum = 21 points

7. Youngest stray of arctic nobility.   -   Rickon Stark

author: Dolorous Gabe

clue guessed correctly by 10 people = 4 points

theme points = 0 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = 0 points

sum = 22 points

8. Tendency: insurrection. Success: none. Nuisance!   -   Balon Greyjoy

author: Julia H.

guessing points = 18 points

theme points = 0 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -3 points

sum = 24 points

9. Trout is saxatile ninny, nuisance.   -   Lysa Arryn

author: Lady Blizzardborn

guessing points = 21 points

theme points = 3 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -8 points

sum = 23 points

10. Terrible incarnadine sewing necklaced Northman.   -   Robb Stark

author: Castellan

clue guessed correctly by 6 people = 4 points

guessing points = 24 points

theme points = 1 point

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -1 point

sum = 31 points

11. The Insightful Seaman - Nevermore...Nevermore!   -   Euron Greyjoy

author: SWMBO

clue guessed correctly by 5 people = 4 points

theme points = 3 points

voting points = 3 points

points spent = -3 points

sum = 39 points

Theme: Siblings of POV characters (who aren't themslves POVs)

Points given to the host: 33 points

Ranking after 2 rounds:

1.   SWMBO   78

2.   Fragile Bird   73

2.   a shadow   73

4.   Castellan   70

5.   Julia H.   61

6.   Night's Queen   60

7.   rocksniffer   59

8.   SNA   54

9.   Dolorous Gabe   47

10. Lady Blizzardborn   43

11. lil' ghost   24

SWMBO did as well in the second round as she did in the first one, and secures her leading position. Castellan did quiet well, too, but not well enough to defend her position against a shadow and Fragile Bird, who passed her and now share the second rank. rocksniffer tried hard to get to the ground by spending 12 points, but it didn't really work out. I'm a bit worried about lil' ghost, since we haven't heard of her since Tuesday. I hope she's just busy, not ill.

I obeyed she who must be and voted for her clue. My only issue with it was that a different S word could have made it an incredible clue for Bloodraven, who fits the rest of it even better. Still, it was my favourite.

I found making an interesting clue for Rickon with those letters exceedingly difficult. Every interesting avenue I took led me to something that could fit other characters.

I wish I did not spend all of my points to get the answers "correct" :pirate:

I also would like to say to Night's Queen hat I hope you were not upset about my comments over your clue. I generally think people will not get upset, but maybe sometimes they do :pirate: 

I also want to ask about this:

author: lil' ghost

clue guessed correctly by 8 people = 3 points

author: Lady Blizzardborn

author: SNA

clue guessed correctly by 7 people = 3 points

author: Julia H.

I have never read the rules :ninja:

Congratulations to SWMBO! :)

I admit I was totally misled in this round and also led to some interesting theme ideas, alas not to the correct one. 

I must share this: I did see the idea of siblings at the very beginning. Then something happened. It was Clue 10. 

Terrible incarnadine sewing necklaced Northman

Oh, yes, I did think of Robb Stark. Yet, sewing can be interpreted in a (sly) figurative sense as well (cf. Needle). And I found this:

Then a string of red tears appeared across the big man's throat, bright as a ruby necklace, and the blood gushed out of him, and Qhorin Halfhand fell.

I was sure that Qhorin must be the correct answer and I adored this clue for its subtlety and precision! (Even sewing seemed to fit, after all, the "necklace" was done by the guy who had named a sword Needle.) Sadly, that was the end of my thoughts on siblings, and I looked for other theme ideas, which turned me away from other correct guesses. 

Just to share more of my thought process:

Twas infidelity scuttled nymph's nuptials.

My first thought was Mya Stone. She is quite like a mountain nymph and her hopes for marriage ended when her love married a noble girl. I also thought of Lyanna, but in the end I went with the Queen of Thorns (whose betrothal was also broken in her youth), because she fit my wrong theme idea better. 

Trout's ignoble spawn. Newlywed nincompoop.

I was shocked when I realized that this one must be Edmure (ignoble is such a negative word), because it was out of the question that we could have Lysa  Tully twice in the same round (Lysa is also newlywed as Littlefinger's wife). 

Tyrant’s inheritor. Supplanted nervous nelly. 

I thought of Dickon Tarly first but I rejected the idea because the dictionary definition I found said nelly either means "a silly person" or it is an offensive word meaning  "an'effeminate homosexual man" . Sam is described in the book as definitely intelligent and I didn't think the other meaning could be intended. I figured the answer could also be Daenerys, then I tried trickier interpretations to fit my theme idea, so ... yeah.

Thirteen is sunshine's nascent noble.

I guessed this one correctly, but I only got the reference to Trystane's age, and I discovered that Edric Dayne is the same age as Trystane. He comes from House Dayne and may become the Sword of the Morning so sunshine seemed quite appropriate here, too, but luckily, this time I went with the more obvious interpretation. 

The Insightful Seaman - Nevermore...Nevermore! 

At first I was quite certain that it was Euron, the Crow's Eye. After all, nevermore must refer to a raven and well, a crow is the raven's poor cousin... Then I started to think about it more... (I think you can see it coming now:) I discovered another possible interpretation. Cotter Pyke is a seaman and a watcher from Eastwatch. He is also a crow, what is more, we repeatedly read about his raven messages to Jon Snow. Actually he seems to spend half of his time dictating and sending raven messages. In the end I chose Cotter Pyke over Euron. (I still like this clue though.)

Since I guessed Benjen Stark correctly, I had now three black brothers from the three main Night's Watch castles. And I realized that other possible characters all came from a different castle each (I associated Lysa with the Eyrie rather than Riverrun).  So I started to look for different castles (different major castles) and it seemed to work - I was even able to fit Viserys in! LOL

I guess overthink is the word to describe what I did. :D

Regarding my own clue:

First of all thanks for the favourite clue points! They made me feel pleasantly surprised. :)

When I sent the clue to Yomi, she said it was relatively easy but she liked it as a description of Balon, so I was happy about it, and I had other things to think about anyway (like solving some clues).

It is true that Viserys was a total nuisance, too... and he would have liked an insurrection in Westeros as well, but what he was actually planning sounds more like conquest using a foreign army than insurrection perhaps, and it didn't occur to me that he could be another possible answer. 

Finally, I must say that I think Clue #3 -

Tree inscriptions stop nearing northwest.

- is perfect.

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I wish I did not spend all of my points to get the answers "correct" :pirate:

I also would like to say to Night's Queen hat I hope you were not upset about my comments over your clue. I generally think people will not get upset, but maybe sometimes they do :pirate: 

I will admit I was upset, but mostly because by my count there are at least five clues far worse than mine and I had very little to work with in terms of my character. I have (almost) made peace with this horrendous round so I am not going to rehash it now (although I'm sorely tempted). Many thanks to the person who gave my clue a favorite vote. Takes away some of the sting. :)  And congrats to SWMBO!! Very well done! 

Still too demoralized from last round to make an attempt at new clues...

The Edmure clue shows how our subjective perceptions of characters can very occasionally be slightly problematic in this game.

In many ways I agree with Julia that it's a harsh opinion of Edmure because his troublesome action came from a place of decency; of concern for the smallfolk he should be protecting. On the other hand, it is a perfectly valid opinion that Robb would have stood an excellent chance of winning the war if Edmure hadn't taken this action.

This said, I was aware of the wide dichotomy of opinions on Edmure and got the clue right.

I overthought crazily and I mean crazily.

I had the reverse reaction to Julia H, For some reason I thought both the Tully clues could only point to Edmure because saxatile meant rock dweller and I immediately pictured Riverrun as a big riverside rockery that some lizard like creature dwelled in. it took me days and days and days to realise it was Lysa. Even when I finally considered her I thought ninny and nuisance sort of understated her negative qualities as an adult and was more apt for Edmure. But basically I had this picture of Riverun as a rockery and thinking about who lived there. So this made me keep returning to the strange idea that possibly there were two clues for every person this round and that was an evil cunning theme. Unfortunately, if you take that as your premise, you can force a bunch of clues to fit it. So this was just a thing nagging at my mind that distracted me. Some time on my 50th run through of Tullys I remembered Lysa. and realised the Eyrie is a rock. and read more about saxatile and found it refers to lichens or something that grow on rocks rather than among them. Also realised ninny is used more often of females. Yikes! 

Then although I saw siblings I could not really see a theme except a broad one of separation from and loss of siblings. For a while I had 'has a dead or missing sibling' which made me doubt Dickon Tarly as Sam is not missing just banished more or less. So I started to think that could be Rymand Frey taking over from the more cautious Stevron as Walder's heir. Mainly because Walder is referred to as a tyrant in his wiki entry. Luckily I changed it back at the last minute.

It took me so long to get the Viserys clue, getting it was the only extra clue I worked out after asking for extension.

Euron - I didn't get 'Nevermore' at all, I am showing my ignorance is that Poe? I thought it must be one of the three Ironmen siblings and can't remember which I put in. I wasn't sure if I wasn't getting the 'Nevermore' part or if the clue writer was just struggling with the two Ns. 

For the Balon clue I put Arianne. I think I did have Balon at one point but forgot about him. It fits Arianne pretty well I think.

For Rickon I had Alys Karstark first but decided the dog imagery of 'stray' and the implication that there were other strays said Rickon.

I had Lyanna but she didn't seem to fit having died before ASOIF timeline., so that was another thing that kept throwing me into doubt.

I never would have worked out the Benjen clue, which I voted for, without the search of ice and fire. 

.....and even though this round looks so much easier it still has enough for me to get obsessed about.....

i am shocked i did not spend my way to the bottom...c'mon people ...

in all seriousness getting to ask the yes or no questions helps me more with theme than anything else...but this time the theme seemed plain as day something to do with sibs...since i had edmure and euron and viserys i was sure it was third born children but the other trout had to be lysa...i really liked the use of saxatile, by the way...i started looking for sibs, it also happened to be national siblings day in the US so i was thinking about my 9 sibs...

i at first thought it was pairs lyanna and benjen, robb and rickon, edmure and lysa, but then there wasn't a rhaegar or dany so that was when i figured out it was pov sibs...

i thought most of the clues were straightforward once i knew theme i just isolated pov characters and discovered their sibs...

clue 1 had me for a while because i wanted it to be cersei because i had tyrion at 5...but again once i knew theme i knew none of the lannister kids worked since they are all povs...but i found clue 1 to be spot on once i had sibs as working theme...i knew benjen first and i was sure then it had to be lyanna...also being the dirty old man i am, at first i interped nymph as nymph-o-maniac, so that was cersei, in my mind and when i discovered nymph as in slender young spirited female i fell in love with this clue  :wub:

i also had arianne in for balon for a long time...but again some points are worth spending ;)

i did not know that the euron clue was SwmbO, but i suspected since she is the biggest poe fan i know...she has probably been sitting on nevermore waiting for 2 Ns...but as a seaman i knew fron the beginning that it had to be a greyjoy and nevermore gave me crow's eye...i do agree with Gabe that with Seer it would have been bloodraven all day long...

excellent round my friends...

:smoking:

Wow, I can't believe I am in the lead :commie:

Thanks to everyone who cast a fav vote my way and yes it was Poe. I saw the 'N's and knew I had to use nevermore, nevermore! 

I enjoyed all the clues and I see now that Cotter Pyke was an alternative for my clue. My use of italics on Insightful was to indicate having one eye made him less "sightful". Stupid but there it is!

Deadline is over, but two players haven't send list of round 3 answers, and one of them and another haven't send clues for round 4. And at least the missing of one of these new hints might be due to site problems...

So shall I wait? I don't know. Sometimes I hate hosting...

Vote for your favourite round 3 hint!

1. Supports the shattered - provides rides.   -   Dancer

2. “Pet” leads organization.   -   Nymeria (Arya's direwolf)

3. Safeguards travelling star-pointer. "Ruff!"   -   Dog (the dog accompanying Septon Merribald)

4. Snow teamer. Sat perched. Repetitious. - Jeor Mormont's raven

Supposed to imply that the Raven supports Jon Snow. The perching is a reference to his avian identity. Repetitious because he tends to repeat things, for instance "Corn, corn, corn."

5. She's the silver princess's ride.   -   Dany's silver mare

6. Spitting, torn survivor. Perhaps Regal.  -   the Red Keep's old tomcat, thought to be Rhaenys' kitten Balerion

this is in ref to him yowling and spitting when Arya caught him; the fact that people suspect he is Balerion, the pet of Rhaenys and one who survived the sacking of King's Landing as well as his owner's death; and a play on the words the Gold Cloak spoke to Arya that the Tomcat was "the King of the castle"~ Arya III, GoT.

7. Season, truly. Sojourning pack ravenous.   -   Summer

Summer is truly the name of a season and the pack (a hint at wolf) was traveling (sojourning) quite hungrily (ravenous) towards Bloodraven (also related to ravenous).

8. Strong trumpeter says plowing repulsive.   -   Stranger/Driftwood

9. Sharp teeth savoured postmenly repast.   -   Shaggydog

I kept trying to use the word priest or pastor, as if Luwin was a septon, and had to kick myself each time to remind myself he was a maester.  I finally looked at the Wiki under Maester and discovered they are described as "scholars, healers, postmen and scientists". I tried to use the singular, postman, but if you search that word nothing comes up, only using postmen.  I assume people will be smart enough to try postmen in their searches.  :P Repast means meal, so with "Sharp teeth savoured" you should understand a bite is involved.

10. Smallest, tamest, sweetest. Perished rapidly.   -   Lady

11. Spat toward suspicious puss...Really!!   -   Ser Pounce

based on dialogue in text by cersei and by tommen about pounce. tommen tells a story about pounce hissing (spat) at the "bad cat" (suspicious pussy)...i added really because when a young child is telling a story he/she usually ends it with "Really!!" just in case i am leaning toward disbelief.

Theme: Pets / domesticated animals / animal companions

If you want to add an explanation to your clue or change the current one, you can still do so.

Please vote for your favourite clue via PM until Monday, the 2nd April, 10 am Central European time.

Round 4 hints:

1. Originally redoubt, anchorage - wyvern's Wharf Royal.
2. Offing ruler, adversity we weather regularly.
3. Oceanside - Rock Above - Westerlands - Wharf - *roar*
4. Ostentation rendered arrogantly. Walled, weeping ready.
5. Tokars? Yes. Ghiscari? Seldom. Maroon.
6. Toward yonder graces, Skahazdhan's mouth.
7. One reaches anchorage watching waving ragpyckers.
8. Trees you get shipped, mostly.
9. This yielding gob smells mermaidy.
10. Taken. Yolky generals soon mocked.
11. Onyx ringed area wants war, readies.

Please hand in your answers until Tuesday, the 10th May, 10 am Central European time.

Archived