Acrophilia #9

yomi

46 minutes ago, Castellan said:

DG, I thought he was old enough to qualify as old in the clue. The wiki says something about his being older and flabby compared to when he washed up and I was thinking roughly same as as Stannis because I had impression Stannis and Robert were children when the ship went down, But of course everyone in the books is doing stuff at a much younger age than you expect and I can't help being influenced by the show so Stannis is probably only in his 30s or something in the books. Aegon is not truly old either is he? In his 50s?

I completely understand being influenced by the show. I often find things I thought were the same in the books are actually different. I put Patchface in his 30s, as you say similar to Stannis. I must admit I thought Jinglebell was older but he is apparently in his 50s. I had forgotten he was Stevron's son, not Walder's. I really should read the wiki more while answering these clues.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I completely understand being influenced by the show. I often find things I thought were the same in the books are actually different. I put Patchface in his 30s, as you say similar to Stannis. I must admit I thought Jinglebell was older but he is apparently in his 50s. I had forgotten he was Stevron's son, not Walder's. I really should read the wiki more while answering these clues.

ye gods :o how do you figure out clues without wiki...do you at least use the search of ice and fire to search text :huh:

without it i would be shit out of luck....

...ah now i see how to come in dead last, blow off the wiki...

oh and thanks to the author of clue 3...i needed a reason to drink tonight 

:smoking:

I'll say. I'm going to play with that search engine now. I have got ASOIF electronically (the only way I can read now) but I rarely bother to reread unless I seem to have got most of a meaning but can't quite pin it down. Or the wiki says something a but vague that sounds like it could be relevant to the clue so I go the reference and look in detail. But I don't have the other stuff in e-book.

PS I just solved a clue with my first search. Rather a sneaky clue I don't think I could have solved it without this. I had already searched the wiki and not found it. I am going to see if I get it from the wiki if I type the same term in.

On 4/10/2016 at 10:56 PM, Castellan said:

Certainly gave me a shock to see myself at top of list (for alphabetical reasons).

LOL I just reckoned it was because you submitted first. I generally wait til the last minute :D

10 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

ye gods :o how do you figure out clues without wiki...do you at least use the search of ice and fire to search text :huh:

Interesting I found number 3 to be straight forward. 

And since when do you need a reason beyond the fact that you are awake? <_<

3 hours ago, yomi said:

Northerner in clue 10 has been changed to Northman.

Joyful, that just saved me a point! :commie:

11 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

I tend to resort to the wiki when desperate but I haven't in this game. My ambition is set quite low in this game.

I have never used the Search of Ice and Fire. Seems I should do. Maybe I'll save it for next game. I have very occasionally searched words in my ebooks.

9 hours ago, Julia H. said:

A very useful website: https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ Try it and you'll see. 

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Holy crap! OK, now we have to start over at Acrophilia 1.

Someone had mentioned the site previously, and unfortunately it doesn't work for me at all.  Maybe one time I could open it.  I don't know if it's my computer or my internet provider that's the problem, but nothing opens.  :(

16 hours ago, Castellan said:

I'll say. I'm going to play with that search engine now. I have got ASOIF electronically (the only way I can read now) but I rarely bother to reread unless I seem to have got most of a meaning but can't quite pin it down. Or the wiki says something a but vague that sounds like it could be relevant to the clue so I go the reference and look in detail. But I don't have the other stuff in e-book.

PS I just solved a clue with my first search. Rather a sneaky clue I don't think I could have solved it without this. I had already searched the wiki and not found it. I am going to see if I get it from the wiki if I type the same term in.

oh great something else to keep you securely at the top... :o

lucky for me my goal is in the other direction ;) 

11 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I tend to resort to the wiki when desperate but I haven't in this game. My ambition is set quite low in this game.

I have never used the Search of Ice and Fire. Seems I should do. Maybe I'll save it for next game. I have very occasionally searched words in my ebooks.

man i use the hell out of it...my brain only has one or two active cells left...i need to be reminded always about the various characters and the inter-relationships with each...

...though luckily for you Gabe, my friend my themes will not be so easy to wiki...but the search of ice and fire might help :devil:

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Someone had mentioned the site previously, and unfortunately it doesn't work for me at all.  Maybe one time I could open it.  I don't know if it's my computer or my internet provider that's the problem, but nothing opens.  :(

my dear Bird, i had that trouble i think chrome was blocking it but when i stopped getting updates it started working...and SwmbO has been able to use it all along (even though she also uses chrome)... she checks it pretty regular, though she can recite whole passages from memory...classic overachiever... :lol:

and to our resident Ser N/A...i send you condolences on losing the ability to sleep through the night, reading cinderella and the princess and the pea so often you will know those characters better than tyrion knows wine, oh and not to mention puberty, boyfriends and the driving lessons...

oh well... :cheers: 

Archived