Acrophilia #9

yomi

8 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

:lol:

No excuses :pirate:

I'm trying SNA's stout refusal to purchase things, possibly because I cannot find the proper motivation, or possibly to aim for a mid-table position to decrease the chances of rocksniffer ending up there.

I, on the other hand, went on a spending spree, but somehow I don't think it will earn me a place high on the list. :P

7 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

As long as I tried my hardest, I'm a winner with or without purchasing hints... but you should try your hardest. Trying my hardest might be a mistake.

Are you not interested to see how you do if you try your hardest? I get the impression you haven't really put the full effort in since winning the first round of the first game.

6 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Are you not interested to see how you do if you try your hardest? I get the impression you haven't really put the full effort in since winning the first round of the first game.

I'm not much of a winner, it's true.

Part of it is time. Part of it is that I enjoy making clues more than solving them. Part of it is that I only have my memory and the wiki... that I lent out my books and haven't listened to the audio books much in the last year. Part of it is sheer laziness.

ok i have submitted final list and theme guess...spent enough points that i could have missed several and still broke even...i am shooting for the bottom though i am trying to win...

such is fucking life...

:smoking:

Vote for your favourite round 1 hint!

1. Old incised simpleton.   -   Aegon "Jinglebell" Frey

2. Heavy. Regrets early attitude. Bound outrageously.   -   "Great"Jon Umber

Heavy refers to the size of The Greatjon. The next sentence is about how he was being a jerk at Winterfell until Grey Wind and Robb showed him who was boss. The final two words refer to him being taken captive at the Red Wedding.

3. "Obese". Insatiable sovereign.   -   Aegon IV Targaryen

4. He ruled - eleven aged boy - overwhelmed.   -   Aegon III Targaryen

I don't think my clue needs an explanation. Probably its only virtue.

5. Height reduced, enhancing absurd byname's orderliness.   -   "Small"Jon Umber

Upon his decapitation during Walder Frey's wine-stained celebrations, the junior Jon Umber - colloquially known as The Smalljon despite his considerable magnitude - fit his nickname to a marginally more sufficient degree.

6. "Heir.” Rider. Exterminate all Blacks (opposition).   -   Aegon II Targaryen

"Heir" cause Rhaenerya was the actual heir because of their dad's decision. He's a dragon rider. He was on the Greens side, so he didn't want any Blacks around, they were the opposition.

7. Honorably refused executions, abetted belligerent overthrow.   -   Jon Arryn

"Honorably" is a reference to House Arryn's words, "As High as Honor." Jon refused to surrender Ned and Robert to King Aerys and instead raised his banners and helped lead Robert's Rebellion.

8. OK, I'm stoned.   -   Jon Connington

Refers to Jon Connington, who contracted greyscale rescuing Tyrion and is hiding his affliction in order to buy time to support Aegon's claim / conquest - thereby accepting his fate as an eventual stoneman.

9. Humanistic rex empirically addressed beast's ontogenesis.   -   Aegon V Targaryen

Aegon V tried to hatch a dragon (or dragons) - beast - by means of a mysterious experiment in Summerhall. He can be described as humanistic because he wanted to protect the smallfolk, and that was at least one of the reasons why he wanted a dragon. 

10. Original incestuous subjugator.   -   Aegon I Targaryen

11. Hidden Rex?  Else a bamboozling obfuscation...   -   Aegon VI Targaryen / fAegon

Young Griff is either the true, saved and hidden, king, or he's a fraud foisted on the public.

Theme: Jons and Aegons

If you want to add an explanation to your clue or change the current one, you can still do so.

Please vote for your favourite clue via PM until Friday, the 8th April, 10 pm Central European time.

On 28.3.2016 at 11:54 PM, yomi said:

Round 2 letters:

TISNN

or

YSOAN

Please submit your clues until Wednesday, the 6th April, 10 am Central European time.

I still miss two clues and because I don't feel like coming up with them the players have time to hand them in until Friday, the 8th April, 10 pm Central European time.

Your maximum author points will be 3 points in round 2, though.

I move that we make the clue discussion public, and we will at least have something to do here till Friday :ninja:

I like a few!

Smalljon, Jon Arryn, Jon Connington, Egg, Aegon the Conquerer. It is quite unusual for me to like any. Also, I think, the 4th clue is good work, especially what the person had to work with.

Jon Connington and Conquerer clues were the most obvious, but still really good! I had them, Smalljon, Griff, and Frey quickly, and the theme was achieved. If it wasn't, I would have never guessed any of these characters I never heard about :blush:

53 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

One of them I dislike while also liking, which is strange.

Which one? :ninja:

It's funny how minds work in this game.  I read the list and all I saw was kings, and after searching a few words quickly found 3 or 4 of them.  Since they were all Aegons, I wondered if all of them were Aegons and searched every damn one of them.  Then to tackle the rest, I started with "heavy" and searched "fat" and "obese" and couldn't find any matches.  So I switched to "stoned", which in Canada can be a euphemism for either drunk or drugged.  Since Westeros characters don't do drugs, so far, I searched every reference to "drunk" and "drink", and when I found a notorious drunk Targaryen I wondered if the rest were still Targs not named Aegon (and wondered if Jinglebells was a red herring).  I bought a clue and was told it wasn't Daeron, so I searched "stone" and got to greyscale, and without doing any more searching decided it must be Jon Con, as a pairing to Young Griff.  I went back to "heavy" and wondered if it just meant a big man or a tough man, like the "heavy" in a gangster movie, and first guessed Sandor the Hound (nicknames again).  He did regret his past and the BwB did tie him up.  But it took a while yet to get to the Greatjon, and once I got there, I thought maybe pairings were going on, so I looked at the Smalljon.  When I saw Aegons and Jons, I thought about Jon Arryn being an honorable man, who took part in the Rebellion and who refused to slaughter people but negotiated peace instead.  I completely forgot about the Arryn motto.  :P

I know exactly about clues I both love and hate.

I'm not sure who I will vote for, a clue that made my life easy or a clue a loathed....kinda negates the idea of 'favorite' clue.

Most of the clues are very good. There are a couple I do not like at all though.

My lack of motivation and effort showed up badly, especially in a round that needed some considerable research.

ah well, let's hope you all have good taste in the clue voting

The Aegon clues had the advantage of having words like rex or ruled in them and the theme quickly became apparent once you had two.

Some of the other clues I was resenting when I finally got them because they could point to more than one person - although maybe the correct person does fit a bit better once you get them. I was confused about so many that I couldn't get the theme and I found several hard to guess without the theme.

Incised old simpleton  When I first saw that clue I immediately thought 'simpleton' would mean fool (professional fool) and after looking up fools on wiki decided it must be Patchface (his tattooing being the incising). I wasn't looking for an Aegon because all the others were Kings and I appeared to have the full set, and I felt Jon Con was definitely the correct answer to another so it wasn't all King Aegon's. Cunning Yomi, cunning! And it is very hard to fit Patchface into a theme with the Aegon's so this drove me crazy (I was initially looking for a unified theme like Aegon's and people who served them, because Jon Con was the first non Aegon clue I got). I got it because I started to try to think of actual simpletons and in total frustration I went back to the wiki and typed in simpleton instead if Fool.

5. Height reduced, enhancing absurd byname's orderliness - this was cruel because I figured out the cryptic elements completely that it was someone beheaded whose beheading increased the aptness of their nickname - but couldn't come up with a convincing answer - Thought it could be Eddard the quiet wolf except 'quiet wolf' is not very absurd. I also considered Duncan the Small and had to look up how he died. I did try typing beheading into wiki at one stage but I didn't notice Smalljon com up. I only got Smalljon when I got Greatjon and that was when I was again dredging through people who had been imprisoned and noticed the word 'heavy'. I had been so fixated on heavy as a euphemism for fat I hadn't got anywhere with that clue. Once I got him I got the Jon theme. 

Ohhh its an addictive game!

I have a quibble on number 9.

We don't know what was going on at Summerhall or who all was involved in it. We know all the Targs, including Aegon V, were interested in hatching dragon eggs. It's suspected that someone was trying to hatch them at Summerhall. But we don't know for sure that Aegon V was in on that, or that it wasn't just a massive attempt at eliminating the Targaryens via arson...quick before they manage to hatch dragon eggs.

Not a bad clue though. I actually did consider Aegon V for it even without thinking of Summerhall.

I'm just picky and hung up on details is all.

My complaints tend to be quibbles. I don't see smalljon as an absurd name, for instance. This is more an exercise similar to the Apples to Apples game than anything else. You have to think like others... and nobody thinks like me. Even I barely think like me most of the time.

38 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

You have to think like others... and nobody thinks like me. Even I barely think like me most of the time.

No, you just have to know what others think :ninja: Which is easy, when no one thinks like you, because then you have practice in recognizing their different standard :ninja:

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

My complaints tend to be quibbles. I don't see smalljon as an absurd name, for instance. This is more an exercise similar to the Apples to Apples game than anything else. You have to think like others... and nobody thinks like me. Even I barely think like me most of the time.

Well The Smalljon is an absurdity simply because he isn't small, surely!

Much like Small Paul. It's absurd!

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

No, you just have to know what others think :ninja: Which is easy, when no one thinks like you, because then you have practice in recognizing their different standard :ninja:

I have never been sure how hard you work at being enigmatic. Are you saying, not at all?

Archived