Acrophilia #9

yomi

I agree that trains of thought are interesting.

I got the Rex's, Jon Con and Jon Arryn... which set me on the path of Kings and Hands - a more sensible pairing (in my head) than Aegon's + Jon's and one that seemed so clear I never reconsidered it.

I spent a good while over lunch one day trying to research wiki's of old Kings who fit either of the Umber clues (to no avail) then I turned to Hands. Ned was decapitated and I've always thought 'Stark' was an absurd last name that suspended my disbelief a bit. "By-name" seemed a reasonable stand-in for "last name" in an acro, so I settled on that. I think I went with Rhaenyra for the heavy clue, given her weight gain as a mother. I didn't recall her regretting anything, necessarily, but maybe I missed something and her dead children or unfaithful husband weren't happy things. I also might not agree that Umber regretted his opposition, but that's beyond the point. The first clue was also a struggle and I decided that the Mad King was an awkward fit ... but a fit. He was often incised by the throne, was noted as looking old due to stress and such and... well... simpleton was the reason I didn't like the answer but maybe one of you was such a bad clue writer that you decided his illogical ways made him simple. I had also thought maybe one of Cersei's Hands would fit because they were psychophants and largely incompetent, but after looking them up, I decided that those seemed even more wrong. Given my narrow theme interpretation, I never even considered a true simpleton (fool) or the Umbers. I did change my theme to Rulers of 7 Kingdoms and Hands in order to accommodate Rhaenyra and I wondered how best to word it since FAegon has yet to rule... but he was a claimant, so I ran with it.

As always, I blame the host. Why not?

19 hours ago, a free shadow said:

No, you just have to know what others think :ninja: Which is easy, when no one thinks like you, because then you have practice in recognizing their different standard :ninja:

There are some difficulties though. You need to pretent convincingly you are still taking your meds, and it makes a bit harder not to bite the ward personnel. And biting them may lead to electrocutions or water whips, which makes the recognizing a real challenge.

my first theme guess was targs with nicknames which led to kings...and even when i started getting jons, they all had nicknames or aliases as well... jon arryn was the last i got since he had no nickname, but by then i had spent enough points to know nicknames was wrong...

the hardest clues were stoned jon con (since i am a drunk and a stoner, i also was looking for drunks, like tyrion or someone who chewed the red leaf stuff) but it was tyrion that led me to jon and greyscale...smalljon, was hard going...i thought of beheaded but abandoned it since i was still focused on nicknames...however even though his wiki points out his name was absurd as he was almost 7 ft and was still growing, i struggled against him cause i had penciled in tyrion here thinking "my giant lannister" was the absurd name...and he does have reduced height...

:smoking:

I was thinking Targaryens, but my clue didn't match so I was thrown off. And it was a long and stressful time between getting the clues and the deadline (for non-game reasons), so I just kept my prelims and will hope for better things in the next round.

Train of thought: I got all but one of the clues within hours of their appearance but then I started thinking of alternative answers. The most difficult one was the Smalljon clue, because I thought "Height reduced" meant simply 'short' and I was sure it referred to either Tyrion (the Imp) or Littlefinger. That dilemma hid the theme for a while. I figured that it could be something about names; however, my first theme guess was incorrect, so I tried other directions, trying to include Tyrion or Littlefinger. Then I thought the first clue might be Patchface or even Aerys II (although "simpleton" didn't feel right there). I confess I asked a few questions (but I hadn't been able to do it last game, so I really had to try this option) and I was working furiously on the theme. I had already checked all the Aegons (but I also thought it could be some misdirection), and finally I checked the Jons as well, and it was only then that I remembered the Smalljon (even though I had had the Greatjon early on). And then I realized the clues must be all Aegons and Jons. I could have figured it out much sooner if I hadn't insisted on the Tyrion/Littlefinger interpretation. 

When I had all the Aegons and Jons, I decided the theme was "characters with the names of Rhaegar's sons". 

On 4/7/2016 at 2:51 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

It's seemingly opposite (ironic?) but it's accurate based on the two people being distinguished... and therefore not really absurd.

It is absurd. The Greatjon factor doesn't make it a sensible name for The Smalljon (and not intentionally ironic in the way Small Paul is intentionally ironic), and the factor of two people being distinguished should have led you to Smalljon through the use of "byname", which is a name someone is known-by to distinguish between him/her and someone else with the same name.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Are we voting for favourite clue right now?

Thanks for the reminder!! I almost forgot to vote and there is one clue that I think is so outstanding I would be upset if I didn't have the chance to vote for it.

p.s. No one is quibbling over the clue that most irks me. 

Wow, it seems like everyone was struggling at some point. I got most of the Aegons right off but still had to ask if all answers were men because I really thought there were a couple ladies who would have worked for two of the hints. However upon learning all were in fact men, the Jons came quickly. I admit I tried several permutations of kings and hands but Jinglebells and fake Aegon were clear cut clues, so I reckoned kings and hands were just a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

It is absurd. The Greatjon factor doesn't make it a sensible name for The Smalljon (and not intentionally ironic in the way Small Paul is intentionally ironic), and the factor of two people being distinguished should have led you to Smalljon through the use of "byname", which is a name someone is known-by to distinguish between him/her and someone else with the same name.

As I said, my preferences versus others are quibbles. I wouldn't define that as absurd at all, because it's accurate in the context. I can see why another might (wrongly, imo) call it absurd, and so I dislike and like the clue at the same time. I also begrudgingly voted it as my favorite despite my complaints.

That said, as described in my train of thought post, had I not been convinced of another theme, I might have considered the Umbers. Absent them being in consideration, the nicknames I considered were useless and I settled on a surname instead of a nickname... a surname I consider rather absurd.

31 minutes ago, Night'sQueen said:

p.s. No one is quibbling over the clue that most irks me. 

Some clues disappoint me severely, once revealed. I try to (and sometimes succeed) keep true complaints to myself. Sharing my stronger thoughts would be rude in a casual game where we're all trying. If I mention something, it's often not too strong a complaint.

Agreed, Ser. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and my quibble is minor in that I feel a particular clue worked for two people who both fit the theme.

In truth, I am more irked at myself than anyone, because I chose the wrong answer when I initially had the right one (damnit!), and I did that because I decided something that was... silly and arbitrary. I am my own worst enemy in this game. [insert smiley falling on its own sword here]

Round 2 hints:

1. Twas infidelity scuttled nymph's nuptials.

2. 'Tramp''s impatient. - Scrounger - Neatly nixed.

3. Tree inscriptions stop nearing northwest.

4. Trout's ignoble spawn. Newlywed nincompoop.

5. Tyrant’s inheritor. Supplanted nervous nelly.

6. Thirteen is sunshine's nascent noble.

7. Youngest stray of arctic nobility.

8. Tendency: insurrection. Success: none. Nuisance!

9. Trout is saxatile ninny, nuisance.

10. Terrible incarnadine sewing necklaced Northman.

11. The Insightful Seaman - Nevermore...Nevermore!

Please hand in your answers until Sunday, the 17th April, 10 pm Central European time.

Round 1 results:

1.   Castellan   39

1.   SWMBO   39

3.   a shadow   38

3.   Night's Queen   38

5.   Julia H.   37

5.   Fragile Bird   37

7.   SNA   33

8.   rocksniffer   31

9.   DGabe   25

10. Lady B   20

11. lil' ghost   13