Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

O/T but Terminator Genysis or however it's spelled is on cable now, I tried to watch it.  It was bad.  Emelia was kinda bad also, I guess the GOT glow extends to the GOT cast too since she got decent reviews.  It was bad to the tune of unwatchable.

3 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Imagine if you will what might have been if Joss Wheedon had HBO money and forbearance when making "Firefly." 

:crying:

It is a wonderful thought, but the times they have a changed...

The one benefit from GoT's run is that money is being pored into speculative fiction IPs for television.  And in some cases, that money and the desire to have the next big thing is translated to much greater author involvement and even control of the projects.  The Expanse has clearly benefited from this, and since one of the writer's worked as an assistant to GRRM it is quite the contrast to see how involved they are in various aspects of the show.

Although there may be a causal relationship there...

18 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

Firefly gets cancelled and Game of Thrones is the biggest show on TV.

Life ain't fair.

I'm not a big Firefly fan to be perfectly honest (my sci-fi shows were Battlestar Galactica and Farscape). I feel like the concept not that exciting and a lot of the characters seemed familiar to me from other Whedon shows. For me, it irks me that The Borgias, which began when GoT did, was cancelled after three seasons :(  ...

My comparison to Buffy/Angel is more about how they were similar to GoT in the sense that "the world was at stake" and that the plots didn't always bear the most minute examination and they had that "anyone can die - including Buffy" theme going on BUT because the characters were front and center and were remarkably consistent (eg Willow uses magic to make things better starts really early on!) the occasional plot hole didn't bug me nearly as much as they do on GoT (partly because the plot holes are far more numerous and partly because the characters are so inconsistent and two-dimensional that the plot needs to be watertight and mostly because THEY HAVE THESE BOOK THINGS with plots already there for them. Grrrr arrrrgh as the little ME monster would say ;)) 

and yet the Buffyverse didn't get nearly the "prestige drama pass" that GoT gets on a nearly universal basis.

15 minutes ago, A_Cornered_Wolf said:

It is a wonderful thought, but the times they have a changed...

The one benefit from GoT's run is that money is being pored into speculative fiction IPs for television.  And in some cases, that money and the desire to have the next big thing is translated to much greater author involvement and even control of the projects.  The Expanse has clearly benefited from this, and since one of the writer's worked as an assistant to GRRM it is quite the contrast to see how involved they are in various aspects of the show.

Although there may be a causal relationship there...

I think you are right that at least GoT is helping other, better shows find a footing they might not otherwise have done (but I think it could have been the best of them all given its story and its characters. Sigh!!) 

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

O/T but Terminator Genysis or however it's spelled is on cable now, I tried to watch it.  It was bad.  Emelia was kinda bad also, I guess the GOT glow extends to the GOT cast too since she got decent reviews.  It was bad to the tune of unwatchable.

I tried watching that but never finished, fell asleep both times. Ok, it was one of the in-flight movies, and that doesn't help. But the film is bad, the dialogue is mostly bad and cheesy... I'd like to see her in something good for a change, and see how she does then. Proper script, proper director, etc. 

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I tried watching that but never finished, fell asleep both times. Ok, it was one of the in-flight movies, and that doesn't help. But the film is bad, the dialogue is mostly bad and cheesy... I'd like to see her in something good for a change, and see how she does then. Proper script, proper director, etc. 

Yeah, it's not like Terminator and T2 were high art or anything, but as sci fi action flicks they worked.  This was just? Yeah, cheesy, and dull that voice over went on forever, and then it was oh yeah, here we go with timeline people disappearing, so lame.  I'll force myself to watch it eventually, but it looks worse than the reviews even made it out to be based on the 20+ minutes I was able to manage.

10 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

New Clip: Sansa and Theon: 

It's...okay, I suppose? Not particularly impressive. 

I imagine it gets worse from there... Alfie said in an interview that they're running from Bolton men with dogs, and get to a river and he goes in but Sansa is afraid and doesn't. And someone here - can't remember who, sorry - said that it makes perfect sense that after all she'd gone through with Ramsay, she'd be afraid of a little creek and rather risk being recaptured by the Boltons. So true. :lol:

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

I imagine it gets worse from there... Alfie said in an interview that they're running from Bolton men with dogs, and get to a river and he goes in but Sansa is afraid and doesn't. And someone here - can't remember who, sorry - said that it makes perfect sense that all she'd gone through with Ramsay, she'd be afraid of a little creek and rather risk being recaptured by the Boltons. So true. :lol:

If that is true, she is absolutely, then hands down the stupidest person on GOT, eclipsing Shae the funny Whore who threw away a bag of diamonds for luv.

2 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlCFXpbX6eU&nohtml5=False

Another one. I just feel a real aura of indifference about these clips. And that CG wide shot didn't look very good. Nothing outright bad otherwise, just really "eh, what's the deal?"

Khaleesi's expression is kind of strange in that clip?  She looks like all confused and awestruck or something but SHE'S BEEN TO VAAS DOTHRACK already, ahem.

11 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

New Clip: Sansa and Theon: 

It's...okay, I suppose? Not particularly impressive. 

Ohhhh dark forest.  Like, can't see much of the action, too dark.

4 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

Another one. I just feel a real aura of indifference about these clips. And that CG wide shot didn't look very good. Nothing outright bad otherwise, just really "eh, what's the deal?"

"Move your ass", "suck my dick". Yup, seems the bad pussy will be in good company. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

Was that Cliff Curtis as the guy greeting her?

4 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

And another: 

Jamie and Cersei this time. I'm honestly stumped - he manages to succeed in nothing, his daughter is killed, and they're still on good terms with each other? 

You don't get to choose who you love! -_- Poor Carol just can't stop loving her incompetent bonehead child-losing brother even when he's ... Well, a total bone head. Here she is, sharing her deepest fears and concerns about the death of her baby girl and he's all "don't think about it and about how I pretty much fucked up another one of our kids." That woman, she puts up with SO much!

The clip with Dany just made me miss Irri, Jhiqui and Rakharo :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

Jamie and Cersei this time. I'm honestly stumped - he manages to succeed in nothing, his daughter is killed, and they're still on good terms with each other? 

Carol is the most forgiving person ever. The problem is that I like their acting? D&D, you could have done so much with NCW and Lena Headey :dunno:. To be honest, I am not really sure Larry does have any reason to break it off with Carol? She should break it off with him. 

Archived