Will Brienne end ASOIAF a virgin?

forod

12 hours ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Ultimately, she makes the old dude fight her for her hand not because she doesn't want to marry, but because she doesn't want to marry someone who is going to brutally repress her.  If he had been gentlemanly, accepting of who she was, and loving/gracious in his proposal, she'd have probably married the guy.  She believes in honor and duty, and part of that for her is fulfilling her duty to her father - who she happens to love more than anyone.

There is this thing that many people gets wrong about Brienne and many other ladies. Yes, I agree with you: Brienne shouldn't have any problem with marriage due to her views, which are the same as the views other women have. Even Arianne, the most "independent" of the bunch knows her duty is to marry and have children. Westerosi see marriage in a different way as we do: it's a matter of honour and duty to their families and people. It's not for self-fulfillment but because they know it can achieve a greater good.

What happens is that Brienne belongs to that lucky bunch whose families would let them have an opinion on who to marry. Honestly, I can't see Ned Stark forcing Arya to marry someone she wouldn't like. Brienne's father is the same. If Brienne ever marries Jaime, her father would be happy not because it's her duty but because she is happy.

14 hours ago, JonCon'sRedBeard'sHoneypot said:

There is this thing that many people gets wrong about Brienne and many other ladies. Yes, I agree with you: Brienne shouldn't have any problem with marriage due to her views, which are the same as the views other women have. Even Arianne, the most "independent" of the bunch knows her duty is to marry and have children. Westerosi see marriage in a different way as we do: it's a matter of honour and duty to their families and people. It's not for self-fulfillment but because they know it can achieve a greater good.

What happens is that Brienne belongs to that lucky bunch whose families would let them have an opinion on who to marry. Honestly, I can't see Ned Stark forcing Arya to marry someone she wouldn't like. Brienne's father is the same. If Brienne ever marries Jaime, her father would be happy not because it's her duty but because she is happy.

I agree completely with first paragraph.

People love to push their own beliefs on the characters of medieval fantasy, without realizing that view of marriage changed significantly in the past and are vastly different even now on various places in the world.

I don't think Brienne and Jaime will get married though, but it can happen.

Btw, when did it occur to you that changing your username to the even longer and more complex one was a great idea :D 

1 minute ago, Equilibrium said:

I agree completely with first paragraph.

People love to push their own beliefs on the characters of medieval fantasy, without realizing that view of marriage changed significantly in the past and are vastly different even now on various places in the world.

I don't think Brienne and Jaime will get married though, but it can happen.

Btw, when did it occur to you that changing your username to the even longer and more complex one was a great idea :D 

I fixed it now because Jon Con can't have a honeypot... his Red Beard can. U_U

On 18/04/2016 at 5:48 PM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Sorry about the tag Spoon, my lappy is being a dick. 

Marcus Agrippa, but do you honestly see Brienne having sex without getting the cloak? 

And Do you see the new, honour bound Jaime doing anything but give her one? 

13 minutes ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Marcus Agrippa, but do you honestly see Brienne having sex without getting the cloak? 

Getting the clock is how we call the "putting a ring" in Westerospeak?

Cause if you liked it then you should have put a cloak on it
If you liked it then you should've put a cloak on it
Don't be mad once you see that he want it
If you liked it then you should've put a cloak on it ♫

2 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Getting the clock is how we call the "putting a ring" in Westerospeak?

WIN

2 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I think Jaime will lay the pipe right before he runs after cersie to say it the doucheist way possible. Seriously, I suspect them to have sex in a somewhat large moment of passion, the timing is difficult, but I think it will be right before aegon takes KL.

On 18/04/2016 at 5:48 PM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Sorry about the tag Spoon, my lappy is STILL being a dick. 

12 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Getting the cloack is how we call the "putting a ring" in Westerospeak?

:rofl:

10 hours ago, Marcus Agrippa said:

I think Jaime will lay the pipe right before he runs after cersie to say it the doucheist way possible. Seriously, I suspect them to have sex in a somewhat large moment of passion, the timing is difficult, but I think it will be right before aegon takes KL.

Sorry I am unfamiliar with this slang terminology?? 

13 hours ago, Marcus Agrippa said:

I think something like this could happen, especially if it seems like one of them is going to die or is about to ride off to do something ridiculously dangerous / heroic and they are unlikely to ever see each other again. 

I don't personally think either of them is going to require marraige to have sex with each other.  While as I said I don't think Brienne is against marraige at all and still wants it someday its not Currently on the top of her priority list.  Sexing Jaime, should the opportunity arise, would be near the top though.  Alongside things like protecting the innocent and following a great leader. 

I expect Jaime might protest a little if anyone of the two would.  But not too much. :P

15 hours ago, Marcus Agrippa said:

I think Jaime will lay the pipe ~~~snip~~~

5 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Sorry I am unfamiliar with this slang terminology?? 

It's sex, laying the pipe means sex.   :)    

One of the biggest impediments to marriage is that Jaime is still a member of the Kingsguard and to some extent Brienne seems to have inspired him to rethink his cynicism about that role. At the moment, he isn't really in a position to offer marriage to anyone - sex, of course, may be a different matter.

1 minute ago, Wall Flower said:

One of the biggest impediments to marriage is that Jaime is still a member of the Kingsguard and to some extent Brienne seems to have inspired him to rethink his cynicism about that role. At the moment, he isn't really in a position to offer marriage to anyone - sex, of course, may be a different matter.

Putting on a cloak can also be symbolic; see Sansa and the Hound which has happened twice, and Sam and Gilly as he has put his cloak on Gilly as well.  

8 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Putting on a cloak can also be symbolic; see Sansa and the Hound which has happened twice, and Sam and Gilly as he has put his cloak on Gilly as well.  

While not a cloak, Jaime has given her his sword (which was done in a lot of marriage rituals in the MA), and the sword is named "Oathkeeper", as in, you know, marriage oaths and such.

There are a lot of elements that work as marriage symbolism in their story. I mean, just re-read the White Sword Tower scene.

1 minute ago, HairGrowsBack said:

While not a cloak, Jaime has given her his sword (which was done in a lot of marriage rituals in the MA), and the sword is named "Oathkeeper", as in, you know, marriage oaths and such.

There are a lot of elements that work as marriage symbolism in their story.

Wouldn't a sword be more of a sex symbol in ASOIAF tho?  The swords and daggers are phallic and the cloak put over a woman's shoulders by a man symbolizes marriage.   I'm pressing the point because the cloak is the symbol for marriage in this story.   The 'Oathkeeper' name could be seen as you mentioned I don't dispute your point there.  :)

Just now, LongRider said:

Wouldn't a sword be more of a sex symbol in ASOIAF tho?  The swords and daggers are phallic and the cloak put over a woman's shoulders by a man symbolizes marriage.   I'm pressing the point because the cloak is the symbol for marriage in this story.   The 'Oathkeeper' name could be seen as you mentioned I don't dispute your point there.  :)

Haha well I forgot to write it, but yes of course. The sexual imagery is so strong with them I dont' even feel the need to point it out, sometimes. 

"Give me the sword, Kingslayer."

"Oh, I will."

26 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Haha well I forgot to write it, but yes of course. The sexual imagery is so strong with them I dont' even feel the need to point it out, sometimes. 

"Give me the sword, Kingslayer."

"Oh, I will.

Now that's what we're talking about!  :fencing::smileysex:

Archived