Bakker XLIV: The Goddess of Negative Theology

lokisnow

Spoiler

The World is a granary Proyas... And we are the bread.

Not far in... but that line hit me like a ton of bricks.  :stunned: 

I was also surprised to see Kellhus POV's.  We haven't had those in TAE have we?

Spoiler

They called it the Tracery, the rite that determined who among them would sire children and so sculpt the future of their terrible race.

Bakker continues to strictly use male identifiers and words when speaking about the Dûnyain. Just a thought.

58 minutes ago, Hello World said:
  Hide contents

Bakker continues to strictly use male identifiers and words when speaking about the Dûnyain. Just a thought.

Ominous. Makes me suspect there may be something to the "Axtotl tank" theory regarding Dunyain women.

RE: Rhom

Spoiler

That whole section was pretty creepy, including the vision of the Outside - are the Ciphrang called "Sons" because he's seeing them from the perspective of the God of Gods? I wonder what Kellhus is building towards with his manipulations and head-games with Proyas.

I foresee more spoiler issues between now and release for those that don't want to read the preview chapters. 

Lot of food for thought in there. I think on me bit will make Kal crow a bit. 

Prologue: Momemn
And naught was known or unknown, and there was no hunger.
All was One in silence, and it was as Death.
Then the Word was spoken, and One became Many.
Doing was struck from the hip of Being.
And the Solitary God said, “Let there be Deceit.
Let there be Desire.”
——The Book of Fane

I've read that like six times and still getting resonant chills, dying to read more, stupid work.

Well, split, Great Ordeal still comes in at 500 pages, we have this confirmed. That makes it shorter than White Luck Warrior, but still a fair bit longer than The Judging Eye ( 420 pages).

The Unholy Consult would have added about 400 more pages according to Scott, plus a very large encyclopedig glossary. Combined in one book, this would have been a 1000 pages at least. This much we know from comments from Scott's blog.

As Gormenghast noted, the completed manuscript was 300,000 words, or about the same size as AGoT (600-700 pages in hardcover, 800 in paperback). So with the glossary added we might be looking at 900 pages in paperback, less in hardcover/tradeback. Very easily doable in one volume, except that Overlook are a small publisher and Bakker is a (relatively) low-selling author.

It has become lamentably common place for smaller fantasy books to be blown up in typeface/font/margins so books appear much longer than they really are, presumably because fantasy novels are always big. A 150,000-page novel should really take up no more than 350 to 400 pages in paperback (and less in tradeback/hardcover). However, I believe Scott's page and word counts didn't include either the 25-page "Story So Far" or the mini-glossary.

Orbit can certainly release books of that size. In fact, of all the UK publishers they are actually the least likely - apart maybe from Tor UK - to split volumes in half (Gollancz and HarperCollins Voyager do it way too much, and unnecessarily).

Overlook and Orbit have been sitting on a manuscript whose last rewrite was turned in in December 2013. By the time TGO comes out, that will be about 2 and a half years.

I would love to see TUC get published next summer. But given the fact that Orbit have yet to commit to the July pub date, I wouldn't be surprised if things keep getting pushed back.

The only thing that could speed up the process is if TGO is a commercial success. Given the wait and the fact that TUC was split into two installments and that there is not even a tentative pub date for book 2, that's a long shot.

As much as I hate to say this, we may have to wait for a while for TUC. . .

This is somewhat overly negative. The contract for Book 4 has been signed, so it will now, 100% be coming out or the publishers will both be in breach of contract. We also know that Orbit have committed to a 2016 release date for the book, whether it is in July or further back in September (as now seems likely). There isn't really a logical reason to wait longer than a year for Book 4, since they have to publish it. The only reason they might want to delay it is if they do a massive relaunch of the series in a blaze of publity, which would be good, obviously. If they want to sneak it out to get out of the contract, there's no reason to delay, and in fact no reason to have agreed to split the previous contract. They could have simply demanded massive cuts to Book 3 instead.

The last I heard from Orbit, the books have done very well in the UK and they are happy with his performance, so sales don't appear to be the issue. What I do think might be more of an issue, however, is that Orbit seem to have recently developed a habit of promoting their international books more, so someone like Abraham, the Corey Expanse books or Parker whom they can release on both sides of the Atlantic is going to get more marketing firepower behind them than someone like Bakker, where they just have the glorified reprint rights from an American publisher.

39 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is somewhat overly negative. The contract for Book 4 has been signed, so it will now, 100% be coming out or the publishers will both be in breach of contract. We also know that Orbit have committed to a 2016 release date for the book, whether it is in July or further back in September (as now seems likely). There isn't really a logical reason to wait longer than a year for Book 4, since they have to publish it. 

According to Orbit's website, their UK edition of the Great Ordeal is due September 29th, so it seems they are moving ahead as planned. What we now want to know is what date Overlook picks for book 4.

https://www.littlebrown.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781841498317

On May 16, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Kalbear said:

For spoiler talk about the excerpt or anything else related to TGO, go to the spoiler topic. Thanks!

Since people have been buying the ARCs on eBay is that thread just about the excerpt and safe to enter for all so soiled  or is it profane ground where the innocent doth not dare tread?

10 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Since people have been buying the ARCs on eBay is that thread just about the excerpt and safe to enter for all so soiled  or is it profane ground where the innocent doth not dare tread?

Just discussion about the excerpt, so you're safe.

Archived