[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

10 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I love the Brienne&Jaime relationship in the books. It is my second favorite romance (next to SanSan ^_^).

But in the show ... I stopped caring and hoping a long time ago.  

She has a violence problem and he's a cretin in love with his sister. What could go wrong?

So Brienne, who was a sworn sword of Catelyn Stark and is now a sworn sword of Sansa Stark, is going to give Oathkeeper back to the Lannisters? Oathkeeper, which was made from Ice, the Stark's sword.  Yeah DanDy don't hate the Starks

10 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Lanna fight with the Brute and Carol!!!

We should have had that at Joff's wedding, when Cersei smirked and snarked at her for being in love with Larry (or was he Jaime then? Or at least Jaimish...)

Either way, Cersei was at least Cersish. Now she's Carolified.

9 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

So Brienne, who was a sworn sword of Catelyn Stark and is now a sworn sword of Sansa Stark, is going to give Oathkeeper back to the Lannisters? Oathkeeper, which was made from Ice, the Stark's sword.  Yeah DanDy don't hate the Starks

:ack::ack::ack:

They really do not get it. 

They do not get the current power of the Lannister's power is built upon corruption, blood and death of so many people. Tywin, ... are not lawful neutral. 

The beauty of the Northern storyline is that several of the Norths are fighting in Ned's name because he was a good and honorable person. His honor is and should be more lasting than Tywin's vile and dirty tricks. 

(I must say I really like the moment when they did the forging of Oathkeeper and Widow's wail(? - that is the name, right. Joffrey had three swords. Sigh. I cannot keep them apart. I hated Tywin so much than but it was well done)

I actually think they really believe Tywin's choices are the ones you should take as example and not Ned's. And in my opinion, this is actually a very very wrong message.  

15 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

They do not get the current power of the Lannister's power is built upon corruption, blood and death of so many people. Tywin, ... are not lawful neutral. 

The beauty of the Northern storyline is that several of the Norths are fighting in Ned's name because he was a good and honorable person. His honor is and should be more lasting than Tywin's vile and dirty tricks. 

(I must say I really like the moment when they did the forging of Oathkeeper and Widow's wail(? - that is the name, right. Joffrey had three swords. Sigh. I cannot keep them apart. I hated Tywin so much than but it was well done)

I actually think they really believe Tywin's choices are the ones you should take as example and not Ned's. And in my opinion, this is actually a very very wrong message.  

You should watch the video I linked, it was all about how GOT got the spirit of ASOIAF all wrong.

21 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

I just caught the old Dune movie from the 1980's a day ago. I forgot that many of the characters in the movie express their inner thoughts through voice over. This actually really added to the vibe of the film and made the interactions more interesting because the viewer knew how the character was really feeling versus what they were actually verbalizing. I kind of wonder if this would have been a positive addition to GOT? I mean, characters that are very internal such as Sansa could have been able to keep more of her arc in tact because of this method. I think they could have done her arc even without this, but because they seem to be so lacking as creative writers, it may have been a better way to go. I definitely think it would have aligned with the books POV structure much better.  They could have utilized this for each POV character. We would have had more book quotes too. I personally love many of the characters' internal musings in the books and would have really loved to see that in the show. Everything in the show is so devoid of inner life that this could have really helped.

Ah, Dune. I love that weird, weird movie.

I agree that the inner voice would work well with an ASOIAF adaption. Of course, many people might find it hokey or "cheating,"(whatever, I wouldn't!) but done correctly it would be interesting. GRRM manages to give us the POVs of people who still aren't expressing everything in their own heads. 

32 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

@The Scabbard Of the Morning I already did some week(s?) ago. ^_^ It was very interesting and sad at the same time. 

I am not really fan of badasses btw <_<

I'm going to have to check out that video myself.

The term badass really has lost all meaning except being a person who kills and lords it over others. (although I suppose Tyrion could be seen as "badass" for constantly verbally PWNING people) It reminds me of 90s comics, everyone with huge guns, grimaces, and no pupils, killing without remorse and expecting us to find that "cool."

Personally, I like it when characters do "badass" things as long as that's not their only character trait. I like capable warriors and brave heroes (and the capable and brave who aren't warriors), but there's always more to them than ruthless murder. Brienne's a perfect example of sacrificing nuance for "badass." Show Brienne sounds inconsistent and mean. Sure, she can fight and apparently beats everyone, but why should I root for her? Book Brienne can fight, too, but she also stays true to her mission, defends others, and treats Pod well. If she loses a few fights? Well, I'd rather that happens than the show's interpretation. 

Making everyone a narrowly-definded "badass" turns them into boring characters.

21 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

Making everyone a narrowly-definded "badass" turns them into boring characters.

In the same way that making everyone's motivation "revenge" puts me to sleep. They've only got one note as writers, it's embarassing.

Guys who would have been your dream writers for the series? I think Bryan Fuller is a very good story teller as he showed with Hannibal. I know he's doing American Gods now, but he may have been a great choice. I really wish George had been show runner too. It would have been better for him to ink the deal when he was mostly done writing TWOW. At least then by the time they got to season 6, we would have already read TWOW and would have been waiting for ADOS. I really don't want to see their bastardized version of the ending.

12 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Bronn is part of their "cult of the badass"

see:

Thank you for posting this link - he touched upon almost all the major points that bother me in the show. Brilliant!

9 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

Sickening, isn't it.

9 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Exactly so.

On 10/06/2016 at 2:26 AM, Darkstream said:

Well, I'm a bit late to the party on this, but just wanted to pile on with my praise. I think these two post can use a bump anyway, everyone needs to see these. I read these posts the other night and have been dying to commend you both on your brilliant posts. Fantastic job guys. :bowdown: 

Thank you, kind sir! :blush:

How is Bronn doing after almost being poisoned to death last season? 

I think what's lingering possibly is the memory of the rather lovely Sand girl who administered the poison more than anything. I think she had quite an effect on him. Even after the poisoning event, he was pretty keen for her to come back to King's Landing and get something going with him. So I think that's the main lingering feeling. I think it actually gave him more respect for her. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-star-bronns-loyalty-900479

Well, it's Westeros. Ages are all off in Westeros. And it's a story, with a lot of the male actors playing down in age. And age gaps are common in the classics.

Some of my favorites have big age gaps. Jane Eyre is 20+ years, for example. Little Women is even more. Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Little Dorrit... There are lots.

What stands out for me is that there's more to come. I've been saying this since last season, that's not the end of this. There's going to be a follow up to that last scene.

Archived