Suddenly Davos remembers Stannis and Shireen?

McAssey

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

So, Jon was stabbed on the same day that Mel rode in to Castle Black?  Is this the way of it?  LOL.  What's the evidence for this other than an assumption that makes it okay that Davos never demanded some answers from her until now?  

Cas either it was a day OR Davos was never on screen at any point between them. Either way there was no time from the start of the season where you have any real argument to complain, 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Hustle said:

Mel leaves before Stannis is defeated.  So, let's say that all happened in the same day.

Sansa and Theon jump, also in the same day.

So, now the idea is that the time between the jump at Winterfell and them arriving at CB was two days?  LOL.  Winterfell is now two days ride from Castle Black?  No wonder Sansa looks so good then, if she was only out for 2 days.

And yes the two timelines have to connect since we see the Stannis battle and Theon and Sansa jump.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Mel leaves before Stannis is defeated.  So, let's say that all happened in the same day.

So, now the idea is that the time between the jump at Winterfell and them arriving at CB was two days?  LOL.  Winterfell is now two days ride from Castle Black?  No wonder Sansa looks so good then, if she was only out for 2 days.

And yes the two timelines have to connect since we see the Stannis battle and Theon and Sansa jump.

This is a different argument....one which is common across ALOT of shows....magic horses/cars/planes that get you from A to B in stupidly quick time, this is a common TV trope.

However, in terms of the Castle Black scenes there is no break in them that suggest months have passed since Mel arrives at the wall and Davos asking the question.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Hustle said:

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Cas either it was a day OR Davos was never on screen at any point between them. Either way there was no time from the start of the season where you have any real argument to complain, 

Except he was on screen, watching Mel arrive at CB during the day, where he asks her about Shireen and she walks away.

So, the only way this could make sense is if Jon was literally stabbed a couple of hours later...which beggars the question of since when was Winterfell only a 2 day ride from Castle Black?  

3 minutes ago, MrsStocksey said:

This is a different argument....one which is common across ALOT of shows....magic horses/cars/planes that get you from A to B in stupidly quick time, this is a common TV trope.

However, in terms of the Castle Black scenes there is no break in them that suggest months have passed since Mel arrives at the wall and Davos asking the question.

I suggest that more than an hour or two must have passed between Mel arriving at CB and Jon being stabbed.

I suggest that the show has already indicated that Winterfell is more than a 1-2 day ride from Castle Black, which makes the idea of Mel's arrival last season and Sansa's arrival this season being only 2 days is not possible, not even in the realm of GOT timing....

Of course, all the show had to do was show Davos confronting Mel again, and having her refuse to tell him or lie.  Problem solved.  Easy.  He could even have referred to putting aside their 'unfinished business' when he asks her to resurrect Jon Snow.  Easy.  Problem solved, there is two options. The show never takes the easy 20 second fixes for things, they leave them hanging.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

NO. the relevant question is how much of a headstart melissandre had on sansa etc. Seeing as they both made essentially the same journey. Could have taken a week on both sides, the relevant point is that Melissandre arrives in late afternoon Day x, js stabbed night day x, standoff takes place till  day x +1;  and so on until sansa arrives, 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I suggest that more than an hour or two must have passed between Mel arriving at CB and Jon being stabbed.

I suggest that the show has already indicated that Winterfell is more than a 1-2 day ride from Castle Black, which makes the idea of Mel's arrival last season and Sansa's arrival this season being only 2 days is not possible, not even in the realm of GOT timing....

Of course, all the show had to do was show Davos confronting Mel again, and having her refuse to tell him or lie.  Problem solved.  Easy.  He could even have referred to putting aside their 'unfinished business' when he asks her to resurrect Jon Snow.  Easy.  Problem solved, there is two options. The show never takes the easy 20 second fixes for things, they leave them hanging.

You are making the mistake of assuming that things happening in different places in a particular episode show have to happen at the same time. 

That not true of any show apart from 24. 

It is obvious to anyone not being obtuse that the writers a series of events in winterfell in episode 10 of last season and episode 1 of this season at the same time.

what happens in castle black is a  week or however long a horse ride to castle black later.

what happens in the dothraki sea is on a different time scale again.  

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Mel and Sansa both left for Winterfell the day of Stannis' attack. 

But didn't Mel leave in the morning and go directly there, where are Sansa left later in the day and dithered around in the woods for a bit?

The people in the show are never late neither they are early, they arrive precisely when db weiss wants to... despite any logic.

That being said, the king you worship and have been loyal for the whole life and the child you love march to a hard battle, ANYTIME later a survivor pops in. If you take more than 15 minutes to ask about their fate logic is already dead.  

And the Davos care for Jon Snow? wtf?

Just now, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

You are making the mistake of assuming that things happening in different places in a particular episode show have to happen at the same time. 

That not true of any show apart from 24. 

Just now, MrsStocksey said:

But didn't Mel leave in the morning and go directly there, where are Sansa left later in the day and dithered around in the woods for a bit?

So now Castle Black is LESS than a day's ride from where Stannis was bogged down, "starving" and all the rest of it?  I mean seriously if he was less than a day's ride, they could have set up relays for food from the Wall.  Surely he could have waited like 24 hours to get fresh horses and food.

And they still could only have 'dithered around in the woods' for 1 more day.

I'm not the one who says that Mel's arrival to Sansa's arrival is only two days.

I'm saying that MORE TIME passed between Mel's arrival and Jon's death...and it also appears to me that more time, at least another day passed between Jon's walk out and Sansa's arrival..

Giving Davos LOTS of time to remember to get some details about Stannis and Shireen.

I understand being distracted by the task at hand (Jons resurrection), but Davos wasn't curious about Shireen after Jon is alive but before the execution of his attackers? He was safe, Jon was alive, immediate threat is dealt with... 

1 minute ago, joaozinm said:

That being said, the king you worship and have been loyal for the whole life and the child you love march to a hard battle, ANYTIME later a survivor pops in. If you take more than 15 minutes to ask about their fate logic is already dead.

Yup. 

2 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

The people in the show are never late neither they are early, they arrive precisely when db weiss wants to... despite any logic.

so every war movie that ever uses a later scene to have dialogue to ask what exactly happened on the battlefield ( death having been established from the beginning) is invalid to you.... Christ you haven't watched many war movies, 

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, more than an hour or two passed....I'd say four or five getting it from early afternoon to late evening/night.

I again cite magic horses/flying cars/time travelling planes in most TV shows which defy laws of the universe by getting places stupidly quickly....it's not logic but just a common place TV trope.

I guess this is down to personal opinion....I was personally more focused on Davos not dying, old Woman Mel and resurrected Jon to care about Stannis for the 3 episodes we've had so far, so it hadn't bothered me that he wasn't mentioned.  If Davos had confronted Mel and she'd refused to tell him the truth so he just shrugged his shoulders and said something about 'unfinished business' we'll discuss later I'm sure people would have complained just as much.

Davos did ask Mel about them. That very night, Jon was stabbed, and Season Six starts a few minutes after that.

Let's not forget how fucked up the timelines of the Show are (and the Books have the same problem, though only after ASOS). Jon's death and resurrection must have taken 3-4 days, while we have Sansa escaping of WF and getting to Castle Black at the same time. Or Walda's pregnancy, which was mentioned back in 5x04, and we are supposed to believe 9 months happen between that episode and 6x02.

This is actually the very first time Davos has the time to ask Mel about it, and he did. Chill out.

4 minutes ago, MrsStocksey said:

I agree, more than an hour or two passed....I'd say four or five getting it from early afternoon to late evening/night.

I again cite magic horses/flying cars/time travelling planes in most TV shows which defy laws of the universe by getting places stupidly quickly....it's not logic but just a common place TV trope.

I guess this is down to personal opinion....I was personally more focused on Davos not dying, old Woman Mel and resurrected Jon to care about Stannis for the 3 episodes we've had so far, so it hadn't bothered me that he wasn't mentioned.  If Davos had confronted Mel and she'd refused to tell him the truth so he just shrugged his shoulders and said something about 'unfinished business' we'll discuss later I'm sure people would have complained just as much.

Wow.  So now Stannis army was bogged down only 4-5 hours from Castle Black? Ot is it 8 or 10?  And he still burns his daughter and won't ride back to get horses and food?  You've got to be kidding me.

I understand that many people just watch GOT for the individual segements and don't really care if they stack up together or make sense as a whole, which is fine, it's much more enjoyable that way.

But, really, the idea that it's been only 2 days between Mel's arrival and Sansa's arrival does not work even in the showverse of timing.  

**ETA...when I complained last season about Mel arriving so quickly I was told that I was too stupid to realize that more time had passed...we don't know how long she's been riding...obviously it was more than a few hours...because that was a different plot hole...now, it turns out, it was only a short ride when the goal is to close yet a different plot hole.  It's impossible to reconcile all the plot holes, as you see, when you close one, it opens another.

11 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

So now Castle Black is LESS than a day's ride from where Stannis was bogged down, "starving" and all the rest of it?  I mean seriously if he was less than a day's ride, they could have set up relays for food from the Wall.  Surely he could have waited like 24 hours to get fresh horses and food.

And they still could only have 'dithered around in the woods' for 1 more day.

I'm not the one who says that Mel's arrival to Sansa's arrival is only two days.

I'm saying that MORE TIME passed between Mel's arrival and Jon's death...and it also appears to me that more time, at least another day passed between Jon's walk out and Sansa's arrival..

Giving Davos LOTS of time to remember to get some details about Stannis and Shireen.

more obtuseness so no doubt  a waste of time to explain but anyway..

Castle black is x number of days from winterfell.  

Melissandre leaves a day/ 2 days before sansa and arrives similarly in advance. 

the events at castle black in s5 ep 10 happen  AFTER the sansa events in winterfell in s6 ep 1, maybe a week later.

Not exactly an unusual dramatic device 

Got it?

And by the same token and in advance of the same littlefinger jet pack nonsense, the events in s6 ep 4 could have happened very soon after  the events in s5 ep10... ...

11 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

And he asked the second she came back. So it's moot. 

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Wow.  So now Stannis army was bogged down only 4-5 hours from Castle Black? Ot is it 8 or 10?  And he still burns his daughter and won't ride back to get horses and food?  You've got to be kidding me.

I understand that many people just watch GOT for the individual segements and don't really care if they stack up together or make sense as a whole, which is fine, it's much more enjoyable that way.

But, really, the idea that it's been only 2 days between Mel's arrival and Sansa's arrival does not work even in the showverse of timing.  

Yeah it does. They both left the same day. 

Archived