Suddenly Davos remembers Stannis and Shireen?

McAssey

5 minutes ago, God-Emperor of Yi Ti said:

and i've showed you by timeline how its perfectly possible. Once you put aside the idea that something shown in scene A in winterfell is happening at the same time as Scene B in castle black [ i.e. every show ever apart from single set shows or 24] .

Davos's first spoken dialogue since Jon came back to life was to turn back to ask about Shireen (not to mentioned off screen dialogue on the principle of show not tell). But not enough and to hell with the dramatic logic of building this up to the scene where he finds the pyre... Because who needs pacing in drama and its not like they don't get criticism for that in any event...

Your timeline is not possible.  It is not possible that Mel and Stannis camp was less than a day's ride from CB.  It is not possible that Winterfell is 2-3 days from CB either.  Since Sansa and Theon jumped at the end of the Stannis battle, then those two timelines have to become one.

Um what?  Davos has already had a long convo with Jon since he was reanimated.  

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Your timeline is not possible.  It is not possible that Mel and Stannis camp was less than a day's ride from CB.  It is not possible that Winterfell is 2-3 days from CB either.  Since Sansa and Theon jumped at the end of the Stannis battle, then those two timelines have to become one.

Um what?  Davos has already had a long convo with Jon since he was reanimated.  

either not reading or not understanding.....

16th may- snow melts, melissandre does a runner,

17th may battle, sansa escapes, sansa rescued by brienne sansa sets off for castle black

23rd may- mellissandre arrive at castle black, stabbing takes place 

25th may sansa arrives. 

I think you have a mental block about the fact that some of the events on 23rd were shown last season and some of the 17th this season. thats your problem though, not the showrunners....

55 minutes ago, joaozinm said:

The people in the show are never late neither they are early, they arrive precisely when db weiss wants to... despite any logic.

That being said, the king you worship and have been loyal for the whole life and the child you love march to a hard battle, ANYTIME later a survivor pops in. If you take more than 15 minutes to ask about their fate logic is already dead.  

And the Davos care for Jon Snow? wtf?

Thats because cliche boy is one of the only characters allowed big budget battles so to "condense" they repeat the WF and battle of it for a whole season because silly Stannis cant win WF that would be dumb it has to be Lord to dumb to lead.

46 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Wow.  So now Stannis army was bogged down only 4-5 hours from Castle Black? Ot is it 8 or 10?  And he still burns his daughter and won't ride back to get horses and food?  You've got to be kidding me.

I understand that many people just watch GOT for the individual segements and don't really care if they stack up together or make sense as a whole, which is fine, it's much more enjoyable that way.

But, really, the idea that it's been only 2 days between Mel's arrival and Sansa's arrival does not work even in the showverse of timing.  

**ETA...when I complained last season about Mel arriving so quickly I was told that I was too stupid to realize that more time had passed...we don't know how long she's been riding...obviously it was more than a few hours...because that was a different plot hole...now, it turns out, it was only a short ride when the goal is to close yet a different plot hole.  It's impossible to reconcile all the plot holes, as you see, when you close one, it opens another.

But Cas remember Stannis was totally in a desperate situation with no ways out LOL

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Good grief, HBO has the map of Westeros on it's show site.

If you think this distance is a "day long" ride I don't what to tell you.  But, it's not my problem

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-4/episode-10/map/location/1/ashemark

So GRRM never screws with the distances? 

Also who really cares, this seems like beyond a minor nitpick. Possibly one of worst I've seen on this website.

Well maybe the show shouldnt start off with a Map animation of all the locations and then continually disregard them every single time for plot nonsense i wouldnt say much but nah.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

So GRRM never screws with the distances? 

Also who really cares this seems like beyond a minor nitpick. Possibly one of worst I've seen on this website.

The distances and time isn't even my point, my point was that it's poor construction of the segments for Davos/Mel interaction about Shireen and Stannis...and I was told that he "hasn't had time" because only 2 days have passed...which is impossible, even in the show.

I very rarely complain about the timing in the show, it's the least of it's problem and the timing isn't my complain, my complaint about the Davos/Mel interactions not being in character for him.

What's the struggle here. 

Mel leaves before the battle and is unobstructed.  Sansa, Theon jump the wall.  Brienne and Pod find Sansa after the battle somewhere in the woods - not on the well beaten path.  They formulate a plan, set off for the Wall.  Why is it hard to believe they may be 2-3 days behind Mel?

Mel arrives at wall Day 1.  Jon is killed night 1.  Davos Finds Jon night 1/morning 2.  Davos sends Ed out night 1/morning 2.  Alliser gives his notice.  Night 2/morning 3 the Wildlings arrive.  Jon is resurrected Day 3.  Jon deals out punishment Day 3 or 4.  Jon prepares to leave that day or the next, Sansa shows up.   Davos speaks with Mel. 

So a knight, squire and lady roll up 2-3 days after Mel.  They probably avoided the main roads to avoid Bolton banner men... seems pretty logical they would arrive when they did.  Davos having to deal with the insanity at the wall probably preoccupied him since he was you know, dealing with his life in danger and a god resurrection.  

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The distances and time isn't even my point, my point was that it's poor construction of the segments for Davos/Mel interaction about Shireen and Stannis...and I was told that he "hasn't had time" because only 2 days have passed...which is impossible, even in the show.

I very rarely complain about the timing in the show, it's the least of it's problem and the timing isn't my complain, my complaint about the Davos/Mel interactions not being in character for him.

its perfectly possible once you accept that the stabbing in 5x10 happened days after the sansa rescue in 6x01.

You know, like all those shifting timelines you were happy to accept between AFFC and ADWD.....

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Good grief, HBO has the map of Westeros on it's show site.

If you think this distance is a "day long" ride I don't what to tell you.  But, it's not my problem

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-4/episode-10/map/location/1/ashemark

IT DOES NOT MATTER how long the ride is. Mel starts 1 day before Sansa. So 1-3 day earlier to arrive is a logical conclusion. Are you really that ... Sorry

What are you talking about, the first thing he did in the S5 finale when he saw her was ask her about Shireen and then Stannis. Now for the first opportunity when he had more time to talk about it.

1 minute ago, baxter said:

Mel leaves before the battle and is unobstructed.  Sansa, Theon jump the wall.  Brienne and Pod find Sansa after the battle somewhere in the woods - not on the well beaten path.  They formulate a plan, set off for the Wall.  Why is it hard to believe they may be 2-3 days behind Mel?

Mel arrives at wall Day 1.  Jon is killed night 1.  Davos Finds Jon night 1/morning 2.  Davos sends Ed out night 1/morning 2.  Alliser gives his notice.  Night 2/morning 3 the Wildlings arrive.  Jon is resurrected Day 3.  Jon deals out punishment Day 3 or 4.  Jon prepares to leave that day or the next, Sansa shows up.   

So a knight, squire and lady roll up 2-3 days after Mel.  They probably avoided the main roads to avoid Bolton banner men... seems pretty logical they would arrive when they did. 

Look at the map on HBO's site.  It's not possible.

And of course if it were that would mean that Stannis forces were "starving" when they're a day's ride from CB.....LOL.

2 minutes ago, baxter said:

Mel arrives at wall Day 1.  Jon is killed night 1.  Davos Finds Jon night 1/morning 2.  Davos sends Ed out night 1/morning 2.  Alliser gives his notice.  Night 2/morning 3 the Wildlings arrive.  Jon is resurrected Day 3.  Jon deals out punishment Day 3 or 4.  Jon prepares to leave that day or the next, Sansa shows up.   

So a knight, squire and lady roll up 2-3 days after Mel.  They probably avoided the main roads to avoid Bolton banner men... seems pretty logical they would arrive when they did. 

yep, pretty easy to get if you are willing to think about it. 

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The distances and time isn't even my point,

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I've come to the conclusion that you're trolling. 

And of course if it were that would mean that Stannis forces were "starving" when they're a day's ride from CB.....LOL.

Cas, I think you're missing the point.  It's a matter of relativity, not distance.

Both parties leave from relatively the same location.  It's a matter of when they leave.  Mel leaving is the start of the clock.  So when she leaves camp we'll say that's Day 1.  

We know the battle happens that morning, and that Sansa jumps the wall and is found by Brienne after the battle, lets say evening of Day 1.  So Sansa is in the woods while Mel is clipping along on a horse up the road already.  If Sansa and Bri start their journey right then, likely the evening of day 1, and we assume they tried to avoid major roads it would be reasonable to expect 3 riders wary of capture to take a few days longer to reach the Wall WHEN LEAVING FROM THE SAME LOCATION AS MEL.  

This is TV, while it looks like Jon's betrayal is happening while the battle / Mel leaving are in process that is not the case.  It is likely week(s) after the battle concluded.  

This is just going round in circles....the distance between the wall and Winterfell in irrelevant, the map is irrelevant.  It could be weeks, it could be days....it's a TV show so it will be as long/short as it needs to be.

The point of the argument is when did Davos have time to ask about Shireen and Stannis (other than when Mel first turned up).

People have been giving perfectly reasonable timelines that fit what happened in the scene's we've seen. Not in guesstimated gaps in time. 

There are 2-3 days between Mel and Sansa arriving at the wall, as per the scenes we see, deadlines given by Thorne and the changes from light to dark and in that time a lot of stuff happens to Davos, I'm pretty sure his head is all over the place....he just saw a man rise from the dead!

So yes, this is his first quiet moment to deal with the Stannis/Shireen situation, that ties in with the narrative we are seeing on the show. 

4 minutes ago, baxter said:

Cas, I think you're missing the point.  It's a matter of relativity, not distance.

Both parties leave from relatively the same location.  It's a matter of when they leave.  Mel leaving is the start of the clock.  So when she leaves camp we'll say that's Day 1.  

We know the battle happens that morning, and that Sansa jumps the wall and is found by Brienne after the battle, lets say evening of Day 1.  So Sansa is in the woods while Mel is clipping along on a horse up the road already.  If Sansa and Bri start their journey right then, likely the evening of day 1, and we assume they tried to avoid major roads it would be reasonable to expect 3 riders wary of capture to take a few days longer to reach the Wall WHEN LEAVING FROM THE SAME LOCATION AS MEL.  

This is TV, while it looks like Jon's betrayal is happening while the battle / Mel leaving are in process that is not the case.  It is likely week(s) after the battle concluded.  

yep, again, once you are willing to accept that point, it all makes perfect sense......

I can't believe people are here defending this nonsense. Forget the timeline it is not important.

Please. I beg you. PLEASEEEEEEE. Explain how it is in character for Davos to care more about the resurrecting of Jon than to ask about what happened to Stannis and Shireen. Please explain it. I am looking for a logical answer but there isn't any.

Davos has been shown throughout the show as majorly disliking magic. And yet hes the one who asks Melisandre to do it. He even says that her magic is "miracles". That is not in character. This is the guy trying to convince Stannis not to use Melisandre in battle at the Blackwater. This is the guy who tried to MURDER her because of her magic. Please explain his motivation there.

How does Davos suddenly care more about Jon Snow who he's barely met. That he can't even ask what happened to Shireen. The girl that taught him how to read. The girl he loved. Jon is more important ?!?! I can maybe understand not having time to freak out on Mel during the hostage situation. But Jon snow's possible resurrection is more important than the people he loved and served his entire life. :/ Please explain his motivation here. 

Why can't people just accept that something is wrong here. This is not a "nitpick" this is a valid criticism of the show. Davos does not have a consistent characterization. Maybe somehow you can make the timeline work, but you can't make this character motivation work. I'm sure some of you will try. So convince me. How does this make sense?

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

This is why nobody takes a bunch of you seriously 

Archived