The North storyline is worse then Dorne

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

They fucked up any opportunity for the North to make sense when they had no Northern lords w/speaking parts at Sansa's wedding last year.

THAT was the time to introduce 2-3 of these lords, give them 2 minutes of screen time to set the stage for how things are in the North, what their concerns are, loyalties, etc.

Then, it's not a bunch of random people we've never seen before getting 20 seconds of screen time and then disappearing again.

I dont know why you think that. It would serve almost no purpose to have last season, most people wouldn't even recognise them or understand who they are anyway.

Makes perfect sense to have them in the story now that there is a reason for them to be in the story with Jon and Co doing recruiting 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I dont know why you think that. It would serve almost no purpose to have last season, most people wouldn't even recognise them or understand who they are anyway.

Makes perfect sense to have them in the story now that there is a reason for them to be in the story with Jon and Co doing recruiting 

context. continuity.  common sense.

it would have served the purpose of explaining the situation in the North and setting up events of this season. 

Just now, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

What?! Appeasing them was the whole point of Sansa's marriage last year of course people would know who they were and why they were there

6 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

So the audience is stupid and can't put together Roose wants Sansa to calm down the lords so he is gonna invite lords to the wedding

Except now we find out the lords didnt' need calming down after all, cause everyone is like Starks? who? what?  Not interested.  This is GOT at its absolute best, where it creates multiple, contradictory plot holes.  This, they excel at.

Jon and Sansa fucked up by seeking small fish houses first. They needed a big force first and then smaller houses would join. It's one thing to join a fight for a Stark restoration, it's quite another to join a suicide pact with a Stark bastard and the runaway Lady Bolton. If they got Manderly first, Glover and others would have been more likely to join up.

Or they could have called a meeting in one place to convince them all at one time. But nobody is going to be the first volunteer.

I still think something is very off about the way smalljon umber approached Ramsay.

My guess is we'll see both the Umbers and Manderly's turn on the Boltons and Karstarks. The is just going to make Jon&Sansa the underdogs for now. And I think the invite from Sansa for LF to come help will end up being a huge mistake down the road.

41 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Except now we find out the lords didnt' need calming down after all, cause everyone is like Starks? who? what?  Not interested.  This is GOT at its absolute best, where it creates multiple, contradictory plot holes.  This, they excel at.

Its no wonder the "average viewer" cant follow it.

That having been said, I actually think this episode was a step up for them.  It was fantastic seeing Jaime finally rejoin his book plot and smack that Frey (wish that had been episode 1 or 2), and I loved Little Miss Mormont (Lyanna, I guess, I didn't actually catch her name).  For all the talk of how confusing it would be to have minor characters introduced, people absolutely love well written supporting characters.  Just look at the fan reaction towards Karsi last season.

They've really shot themselves in the foot trying to condense the story by tying it up in knots.

But of course we actually know that this is still Stannis's story they're doing.

Why would they have to sit on their hands?  Even the major GOT stars do other roles.  All tertiary characters have to do is carve out a week or two each year to be available.  But, whatever, this isn't worth arguing about.

The North in the show is not loyal to the Stark family.  It is what it is.  I find it a very strange creative choice myself, since it will rob the inevitable taking back of Winterfell of much of it's punch and satisfaction.  Jon and Sansa are going to get WF back not with the help of the North, but IN SPITE of the North.

You are taking this to extremes.  If they cast the additional couple of hundred actors required to match the books and 25% of them couldn't return when required?  The show is fucked.

1 minute ago, Winter's Cold said:

We won't know if this is Stannis' storyline until Winds of Winter is published.

Exactly.  I'm hoping it isn't Jon and Sansa doing Stannis's story though.  Because that would point to Jon spending most of TWOW in Ghost and Sansa doing little or less in the Vale.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

You are taking this to extremes.  If they cast the additional couple of hundred actors required to match the books and 25% of them couldn't return when required?  The show is fucked.

Dude, what are you even talking about?  I said cast TWO OR THREE people as Northern lords, couple hundred, what are you even talking about now?

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Dude, what are you even talking about?  I said cast TWO OR THREE people as Northern lords, couple hundred, what are you even talking about now?

You know they can only argue with straw men.  Its because they don't have an actual case to make.

I dunno. The scenes weren't actually stupid or horrible like the Dornish ones were. Although the wildlings seem a bit dim: hasn't Jon shown them the letter and read the bits where Rams threatens to kill them?

Looked at another way the show's version of the north is more offensive than its pitiful stab at Dorne though. Neither Jon or Sansa come across very well, Davos is wildly out of place and the North's reaction is pretty off. Lord Glover, in particular, seemed very implausible to me. If your army has been massacred under a flag of truce you don't go blaming you king, even though he was being a bit stupid: you blame the people who betrayed you.

The elements they chose to focus on were also strange. The scene at Bear Island was all about Lyanna Mormont and how cool she was, rather than about Jon or Sansa or the North's loyaly to the Starks and their anger at the Boltons/Freys. Some very odd choices they making.

context. continuity.  common sense.

it would have served the purpose of explaining the situation in the North and setting up events of this season. 

Nobody would have remembered them. They would have been random lords at a wedding that lasted a couple of minutes 5 years ago 

Just now, lancerman said:

Nobody would have remembered them. They would have been random lords at a wedding that lasted a couple of minutes 5 years ago 

Why did they bring the Blackfish back?  Nobody remembers him either, or Edmure Tully.   

Archived