Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

1 hour ago, Ser Hyle said:

No the books don't equal the show, because apparently the show has turned a group of outlaws founded on and dedicated to protecting the small folk into a psychotic group of sadists that massacres peaceful smallfolk for nothing closely resembling a valid reason.

They're going to have to dive into some backstory as to why this shift has occurred (the new boss is a psychotic killer who turned the group into psychos who kill for the fun of it because she's blames humanity in general for the Red Wedding and not just the Freys/Boltons/Lannisters), or we're going to learn that they somehow recognized the Hound when they first arrived so she ordered them to return and kill them all because they're Lannister spies/agents. But then that would leave the glaring hole in that they didn't ask anyone where Sandor was to go and get him as the main target. Either way, it's Dorne level writing.

They haven't given even any reason yet you're already complaining. Calm down and wait for the next episode or you can stay upset because of reasons you made up all on your own. 

1 hour ago, RoamingRonin said:

They haven't given even any reason yet you're already complaining. Calm down and wait for the next episode or you can stay upset because of reasons you made up all on your own. 

Actually pretty calm, but thanks anyway; it's good to know I can count on you for unsolicited advice.

Since we're on the topic of unsolicited advice, you should maybe make yourself some tea and soak your feet in epsom salts, breathe deep, exhale smoothly and count slowly to ten to help you calm down because you shouldn't be so upset that I'm complaining.

I'm just trying to figure out how they're going to pull this off, it will be pretty awesome if they do, but things like Dorne lead me to believe that they're not.

My theory is that this a group that separated from the BWB.  The hound will track them down, kill a few, then get outnumbered and at the last minute saved by Thoros and what remains of the real BWB. Thoros will explain that Beric died for good and the group fell apart.  

What happens afterwards is anyones guess but I like to think this is a pretty sound theory that makes sense within the context of the show.

On 6/6/2016 at 4:06 AM, Drz said:

"You want a good show but you need bad writing." - Sand Snakes

On 6/6/2016 at 5:46 AM, Philpenn said:

Yup, the Brotherhood got Dorned.

This is what I am afraid of.  It was very weird to me.  Trying to justify it to myself I theorized that they just pretended to be the BWB.  I noticed that one of them appeared to have twin towers on his cloak though.  Not sure what to make of that.

2 hours ago, The Night King Cometh said:

My theory is that this a group that separated from the BWB.  The hound will track them down, kill a few, then get outnumbered and at the last minute saved by Thoros and what remains of the real BWB. Thoros will explain that Beric died for good and the group fell apart.  

"Only Cat."

That or it isn't the Brotherhood.  Maybe they will end up being the BC's or a group posing as TBWB like how fake Hound was going around killing people in the books.  Sometimes things just have to play out.  All we know is the Hound thinks it's TBWB because they're R'hllorists. We don't know that they actually are yet.

TINFOIL ALERT:

One theory I haven't seen mentioned is that those particular BwB had a vendetta against Septon Ray. Ray regales his former life as a soldier who committed terrible acts (killing children, burning villages), and his speech is immediately followed by the first encounter. It may be possible that those BwB, genuine or otherwise, recognized him and were his victims in the past. It would explain why they take away his seven pointed star thingy too, knowing of his unSeptonly past actions. 

I prefer this train of thought over the over-simplistic religious zealot angle by a long shot. 

On 6/6/2016 at 5:26 AM, wolverine said:

I do wonder if this is stolen from the book plot a bit though.  Will the monastery Sandor is at be ruthlessly attacked so he returns to violence?  Probably, peaceful  or kind people need to die in Westeros.

I had seen this post days ago and kept forgetting to respond. I don't think there is any chance of that being the same case in the books, as there seems to be no reason to attack the monastery and it was supposed to be extremely difficult to get to that location in the books. If you recall horses almost needed to step exactly in the same spot as the one in front of them, the average Joe can't even get to that location. Getting a group to that location would not seem easy. 

Of course when the tides change it can be easier by boat maybe? But overall I think its more likely he hears something from the outside and ends up leaving without something actually happening on the Quiet Isle.

1 minute ago, Heartofwinter said:

I had seen this post days ago and kept forgetting to respond. I don't think there is any chance of that being the same case in the books, as there seems to be no reason to attack the monastery and it was supposed to be extremely difficult to get to that location in the books. If you recall horses almost needed to step exactly in the same spot as the one in front of them, the average Joe can't even get to that location. Getting a group to that location would not seem easy. 

Of course when the tides change it can be easier by boat maybe? But overall I think its more likely he hears something from the outside and ends up leaving without something actually happening on the Quiet Isle.

No, I actually did not recall the remoteness of the monastery from the books.  If monasteries in Westeros are anything like monasteries from medieval Europe, they could house plenty of treasures and be worthy of being attacked.

This is an excellent question. I think that we will find out more in the next episode or it's just really bad writing. The BwB did decline from their original purpose and become more dark but I still don't think that they just randomly murdered small folk for nothing. It may have to do with Ray's past. Maybe it was revenge against him but still why kill everyone else. I'm hoping we get an explanation because otherwise this was just a plot device to bring back the HOUND vs Sandor Clegane. So we see another character abandon their book redemption arc.

If we look at the man on the left in this photo:

Outlaws

His sigil is a tower, one on each clasp of his cloak, or "Twin Towers"  Recall that Lord Walder complained that the BWB was causing him problems and were much loved by the small folk.  What better way to undermine the small folk's support than to make it look like the BWB is killing innocent people.

Also, these men are too well dressed to be common brigands.  I think Lord Walder is behind these "Broken Men."

Edit: Sorry, photo didn't post, photo here:  http://watchersonthewall.com/give-us-thoughts-broken-man-no-one/

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, Eddy1 said:

Every time something confusing happens on the show, people here come up with dozens of theories to explain it. Yet the explanation always turns out to be the same: the show is badly written.

'Always' doesn't mean what you think it means. Sometimes those theories are right. But by the time it has been elaborated on in the show, the people that were loudly complaining about bad writing have moved on to loudly complain about something else they don't understand. No, the show doesn't always get everything right, but it would be nice if occasionally people came back to the threads where they where complaining and admit they jumped the gun.

Provided these guys are not just rogue killers, I think its possible they killed "Ray" because of terrible things he had done in the past.
As for the small folks with him; it was clear that they loved Ray and had a very high opinion of him so when the bandits tried to kill him, the people likely rose to fight in his defense. The bandits then decided that if those people would fight for Ray, then they are as guilty as he is and killed them all.

The thing that makes me think they had an agenda and not just rogue marauders is because they killed the women too. I would expect a random pack of outlaws to have captured the women to use for recreational purposes rather than kill them outright.

On 6. 6. 2016 at 9:00 PM, Titan said:

It is so INCREDIBLY amusing to read book reader being upset about this. Did you even read AFFC? If so try again.

Because the BwB are certainly NOT "robin hoods merry men that can do no wrong".

I am not upset, I just wanted some clarification

It didn't turn out as bad as we feared, but it was still a load of nonsense.

Why did the BwB allow moronic psychos to become members? Not only did they kill innocent people for no reason, they did so knowing that their leader would execute them for it.

Archived