Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

Just a bunch of soy milk sippers aka vegan hipster twats aka dry cow-poo shampoo users who should have thought twice before trying to shoot their next Kinfolk video in effin Westeros. They deserved to die, it's darwinism. 

1, BwB did it: makes no sense.

2, A breakaway group of BwB did it: makes little sense either.

3, Some other outlaw group did it: makes more sense but makes little contribution to the storyline.

4, Some other group did it to frame the BwB. This makes the most sense IMO. Note the number of arrows left on the scene. No self-respecting archer would leave his/her arrows behind like that ... unless you want someone to find those arrows.

5, Just bad story writing: always a possibility ...

26 minutes ago, watcher of the night said:

4, Some other group did it to frame the BwB. This makes the most sense IMO. Note the number of arrows left on the scene. No self-respecting archer would leave his/her arrows behind like that ... unless you want someone to find those arrows.

Tywin Lannister could have pulled this one out but he's dead, roose then... dead. I'd love it if you theory was true but it seems too elaborate for D&D.

On 6/6/2016 at 1:11 AM, The Ice Wolf of Loki said:

They wouldn't, showrunners have screwed up.

I love how this is everyone's first assumption...ever considered those guys weren't BwB?  Do you remember the massacre at the Saltpans?  Seems way more likely to me it's a way to have a pissed off Clegane have a run in with the brotherhood..

6 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Is Thoros returning confirmed ? I've seen an interview around with the actor saying that he dislikes how the BwB is behaving and decides to leave them.

Yes, he's been confirmed to return.  

Spoiler

As for what we’ve heard about Kaye’s colorful character Thoros- last fall, we did hear from one anonymous source that Kaye had been filming. We also heard from another source that Kaye had been involved in some sort of hanging scene.

So take that how you want to B)

3 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

Yes, he's been confirmed to return.  

Hide contents

As for what we’ve heard about Kaye’s colorful character Thoros- last fall, we did hear from one anonymous source that Kaye had been filming. We also heard from another source that Kaye had been involved in some sort of hanging scene.

So take that how you want to B)

LSH CONFIRMED ! GET HYPE !

3 hours ago, Noveson said:

I love how this is everyone's first assumption...ever considered those guys weren't BwB?  Do you remember the massacre at the Saltpans?  Seems way more likely to me it's a way to have a pissed off Clegane have a run in with the brotherhood..

Definitely a nod towards the Saltpans.

But one thing that we didn't find out was he fought for.  We know he was a soldier.  We don't know which army.

5 hours ago, The Imp slap said:

Tywin Lannister could have pulled this one out but he's dead, roose then... dead. I'd love it if you theory was true but it seems too elaborate for D&D.

Most likely it is BWB.  Remember in the books they are more than happy to hang three people who have done nothing wrong.  A large element of their group has broken bad in the novels.

5 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Most likely it is BWB.  Remember in the books they are more than happy to hang three people who have done nothing wrong.  A large element of their group has broken bad in the novels.

I agree that it is the BWB because the main one, Lem?, says something about the god of light to Ray and the Hound.

The rest is not correct. The BWB are all over the Riverlands in small factions that act as one. It is mentioned in the book in Arya, Jaime and Brienne's POV's that a majority of the small folk are with them, even dogs. The BWB consists of innkeepers, farmers and they even set up an orphanage to help with the aftermath of the War of 5K's. Part of the BWB's mission statement is to fight against general outlaws and raiders. The smallfolk support the BWB.

There are like two or three guys that are going a little rogue and there are plans to deal with them.

The faction that LSH is with has run amok and Thoros sees and acknowledges that. No secrets there. And it is because of Lady Stoneheart and her being an actual symbol of revenge and what revenge can do to a person that is bringing that faction down. This is not the entire, or even a large element, of the  BWB.

You possibly are a Frey loyalist if you say that the BWB are, "more than happy to hang three people who have done nothing wrong." Or maybe you haven't read the books? I dunno :dunno: But in the books, the only people that have been hanged are those directly related to the Red Wedding and the broken vows not kept to a living Catelyn. Again, this is a result of what revenge does to a "person" and why LSH coming back IS NOT like Jon, or Beric, or the Hound (who never died), or even Aegon. The basic lesson is revenge = bad. However, even in the end scene, LSH gives Brienne an option and lets Brienne and Pod and Hyle live if they finish the agreement.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I agree possibly are a Frey loyalist if you say that the BWB are, "more than happy to hang three people who have done nothing wrong." Or maybe you haven't read the books? I dunno :dunno: But in the books, the only people that have been hanged are those directly related to the Red Wedding and the broken vows not kept to a living Catelyn. Again, this is a result of what revenge does to a "person" and why LSH coming back IS NOT like Jon, or Beric, or the Hound (who never died), or even Aegon. The basic lesson is revenge = bad. However, even in the end scene, LSH gives Brienne an option and lets Brienne and Pod and Hyle live if they finish the agreement.

No, the lesson is that the gods shall not be mocked.  Remember the story of the Rat Cook.

Violating guest right is so heinous a crime that the old gods have raised up one of the fallen to dispense righteous revenge upon the blasphemers.  

You do not murder someone under your own roof after bread and salt have been given.

The gods shall not be mocked, and in the end justice, not mercy, will prevail.

20 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

No, the lesson is that the gods shall not be mocked.  Remember the story of the Rat Cook.

Violating guest right is so heinous a crime that the old gods have raised up one of the fallen to dispense righteous revenge upon the blasphemers.  

You do not murder someone under your own roof after bread and salt have been given.

The gods shall not be mocked, and in the end justice, not mercy, will prevail.

What if Walder said "mayhaps" like in the game Lord of the Crossing Bran and the little Freys play back at Winterfell? I figured that little detail was part of the of foreshadowing for the betrayal and Red Wedding. Lord Walder says "mayhaps" three times when he is bargaining with Catelyn right before the wedding. Then it would be revenge.

I agree with the breaking guest right, but in this case it goes beyond that.

Adding: Lady Stoneheart's other name is Mother Merciless. So this is the opposite of what should happen.

Walder even uses the game rules on Catelyn which basically shows he is about to betray them.

A Storm of Swords - Catelyn VI

"I need to see my men across the river, my lord," Robb said.
"They shan't get lost," Lord Walder complained. "They're crossed before, haven't they? When you came down from the north. You wanted crossing and I gave it to you, and you never said mayhaps, heh. But suit yourself. Lead each man across by the hand if you like, it's naught to me."
"My lord!" Catelyn had almost forgotten. "Some food would be most welcome. We have ridden many leagues in the rain."

On June 6, 2016 at 4:35 AM, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Yes and none of them heard the wood chopping by Sandor & he didn't hear the screaming or slicing either.

Didn't D&D say Sandor was a mile away when the slaughter occurred? Maybe they didn't mean literally a whole mile, but pretty far away regardless. And I was under the impression that Sandor DID hear something, which is why he ran back to camp. If he was far away, the slaughter would have been over by the time he got back there on his gimpy leg. 

On 6/6/2016 at 8:11 AM, RoamingRonin said:

People also seem to forget the books don't equal the show. Characters will have different motivations so complaining "B-b-b-but that's what they'd do!" is pretty pointless. 

Lem could have arranged that massacre because they worshipped the seven and not red R'hllor. 

No the books don't equal the show, because apparently the show has turned a group of outlaws founded on and dedicated to protecting the small folk into a psychotic group of sadists that massacres peaceful smallfolk for nothing closely resembling a valid reason.

They're going to have to dive into some backstory as to why this shift has occurred (the new boss is a psychotic killer who turned the group into psychos who kill for the fun of it because she's blames humanity in general for the Red Wedding and not just the Freys/Boltons/Lannisters), or we're going to learn that they somehow recognized the Hound when they first arrived so she ordered them to return and kill them all because they're Lannister spies/agents. But then that would leave the glaring hole in that they didn't ask anyone where Sandor was to go and get him as the main target. Either way, it's Dorne level writing.

On 6/6/2016 at 3:00 PM, Titan said:

It is so INCREDIBLY amusing to read book reader being upset about this. Did you even read AFFC? If so try again.

Because the BwB are certainly NOT "robin hoods merry men that can do no wrong".

Do you realize there's a difference between these three things?

1. "robin hoods merry men that can do no wrong."

2. an outlaw group dedicated to a twisted perception of justice by murdering anyone involved or connected to those involved with the Red Wedding massacre

3. psychotic religious fanatics who brazenly massacre dozens of non-threatening smallfolk for no reason beyond they came upon them.

If you don't, try again.

Archived