Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

1 minute ago, Titan said:

It is so INCREDIBLY amusing to read book reader being upset about this. Did you even read AFFC? If so try again.

Because the BwB are certainly NOT "robin hoods merry men that can do no wrong".

They certainly aren't, but they have never been nearly as bad as that in the books.

7 minutes ago, Sansa's Hairnet said:

Brother Ray's gold necklace with the 7 star emblem was missing when they showed his body hanging.

Well, that is pointing into some bizarre fanatic crime as well. Sigh.

2 minutes ago, David Selig said:

They certainly aren't, but they have never been nearly as bad as that in the books.

a. Not my quote ;)

b. I don't think it's between 'bad' and 'not as bad', but between ideology gone wrong vs simple thugs/cheap fanatics.

My biggest problem was that Clegane is close enough to hear the whinny of a horse but he never hears the screams of the people being slaughtered?

And as noted, the details and motivations of the attackers are all wrong. They looked too well-dressed for outlaws, and the BWB still fights for the small folk, so I first thought they were some lords' men. You can't just go chopping down trees in someone's forest without leave -- although the structure had a good view of the valley, so maybe it could be converted into a watchtower. But they bore no banners and didn't issue any ultimatums, and if they were there on a religious crusade they would have burned down the structure.

So, not well thought out all the way around.

4 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Well, that is pointing into some bizarre fanatic crime as well. Sigh.

I don't really take it that way... it was gold, after all, and probably the only thing of any real value in that camp, so they stole it.

Look out if Sandor sees someone wearing it though -- he'll know he's got the person(s) he wants vengeance on.

9 hours ago, duysim said:

Because lady stoneheart is the leader of the bwb. And she heard the story of the mother who's son got murderd in front of her eyes. Then stoneheart demand the bwb to kill them all and hang that guy who killed that boy.

Im sorry for my english but i hope you understand what im saying

oh sweet lord....this is probably right. It is god awful writing but you are probably right. 

44 minutes ago, OmnomnomPomelo said:

The Brotherhood killing innocent people is the typical bullshit of HBO.

Sadly and frustratingly, this seems to be it. HBO sometimes tries to push a false narrative that noone can be classically good. Everyone has bad intentions, people who are good don't stay good for long, being a bad person gets people benefits, etc. All lies, but the narrative nonetheless.

I hope that the next episode gives a reasonable explanation for it beyond "The Brotherhood killed them for preposterous, out of character reason X" and proves me wrong.

21 minutes ago, DamonDanceForMe said:

oh sweet lord....this is probably right. It is god awful writing but you are probably right. 

Mother... son... mother... son killed in front of the mother... as she screams his name and curses his killer...

Yeah. I'm convinced.

The scene seemed to highlight Lem eyeing Sandor before leaving. Presumably having recognized him?

Maybe they killed Brother Ray and the others because they were harboring he Hound - a well-known former Lannister man... because they are now under the command of a certain Lady who wants to kill (...by hanging...) anyone loosely related to Lannisters and Freys.

24 minutes ago, Il Passante said:

The scene seemed to highlight Lem eyeing Sandor before leaving. Presumably having recognized him?

Maybe they killed Brother Ray and the others because they were harboring he Hound - a well-known former Lannister man... because they are now under the command of a certain Lady who wants to kill (...by hanging...) anyone loosely related to Lannisters and Freys.

...then why not just kill The Hound instead? 

Or make sure that in the massacre, you managed to take out The Hound as well?

2 hours ago, NeoCount said:

Really folks?

Some of you seem to be putting way too much thought into the whole thing. To me it seems like a simple religious purge with poor peasants getting the pointy end of swords.

The red Witch likes to find an excuse to burn those who don't fall in line with her Red God. Send out the troops to kill, just give them instructions to focus on followers of The Seven. Simple concepts, simple results.

If you are the priest in charge (whomever that might be), sending out the troops makes it easier to feed your remaining troops. Blame and retribution from Kings Landing, if they actually even worry about it, will be pointed at roving bands of thieves rather than anything deeper and darker. Keep your followers pumped up to kill non-believers, Get a bit of plunder. What more would a priest of the Red God want?

If that was the simple reason, the question comes up as to why they outright killed them rather than burning them.  The answer would be that killing keeps the possibilities wide open for who might have done the dirty deed but mass burnings would point the finger right at the Red God.

Maybe I am just trying to over simplify things but until something shows up in later episodes to contradict my idea, I am sticking with it.

Really folk?

It seems like they didn't put enough thought into this and neither did you.

10 hours ago, wolverine said:

Right.  When was the last time we saw or heard of Beric or Thoros?

I was talking to some unsullied the other night and they had no idea who Edmure Tully was when the Frey's dragged him out last week.  It would seem strange to rely on show fan's memories of Beric or Thoros at this point.

No one who hasn't read the books has had the slightest idea what the fuck is going on for at least two seasons now.

Luckily for D&D, who cares? Tits and dragons and a couple recognizable characters doing cool stuff.

I too felt that the scene was needless excessive violence.  But that is something the show simply has never shied away from so.  Obviously Sandor motivation, but to paint such a rosy picture of that group and then end it with their deaths.  That's tough.  

But I think also another reminder that no matter what good (or bad) you put out into the world, you can be killed.  They, and GRR, do no discriminate.  

Archived