Why would Brotherhood without banners kill all those people

SaChr222

Killing everyone because of Sandor, and leaving without finding Sandor, makes no god damn sense. Sandor not realizing there was a massacre the next hill over doesn't make any god damn sense either. One big wineskin while he chopped away, and a quick cut showing himself drunk and completely out of touch with his senses as he hacks away at the wood - hey it all makes some sense now! God damnit.

I thought the brain-dead Arya scene was the pits. But the logistics of the slaughter is irritating me more by the second as well.

Like many have mentioned it seems like some inconsistent or simply convenient writing from D&D:

Season 3:  The Hound was an antagonist (through our POV from Arya) and the BwB are "good" guys or at least better guys in her mind.

Season 6:  The Hound is a protagonist to most viewers.  So the writers had to make people Sandor hates the antagonists.  Sandor hates them after the trial by combat, and now we are all Team Sandor. 

Even if Ray/Maribald/Elder Brother was a Frey or someone that Stoneheart dislikes, killing innocent women and children would never be the MO of Catelyn, Thoros or Beric.  

It also seems easier for the writers to make the BwB antagonists without Gendry being a member of the squad like he still is in the books but as we know he was sold off in the show.  

Also, would a Stoneheart-lead  BwB without Thoros be so devoted to the R'hollor?  They have a lot to clear up about this plot line. 

17 hours ago, duysim said:

Because lady stoneheart is the leader of the bwb. And she heard the story of the mother who's son got murderd in front of her eyes. Then stoneheart demand the bwb to kill them all and hang that guy who killed that boy.

Yeah, when you put it that way, I can totally see Catelyn doing that.  The man hanged himself.

Because they needed to press the reset button on the Hound

Even disregarding anything you know from the books or anything you know about the BWB from the show up until this point... the whole thing didn't make a lick of sense. Attacking a group of poor people with nothing worth stealing, they didn't even take the women or their tools. So there is literally nothing to gain whereas you could potentially suffer casualties since the group had axes, tools, knives etc. Sloppy writing as per usual

Gotta love everyone jumping to conclusions about stuff right away so they can complain about it.  There is certainly a lot of sloppy writing on this show but to dismiss this right away as that is jumping the gun.  We don't know the Brotherhood's motivation because we haven't spent any time with them.  That is something that likely the show will deal with as the Hound starts his vengeance quest to get some answers.  If not, then yes, sloppy bad writing.  But I'd imagine we will get some kind of explanation going forward.

This reminds me of everyone flipping out last week over Margs's "conversion" when it was clear there was more explanation forthcoming.  

It's clearly not the BWB. It's some guys that have left the brotherhood. 

Spoiler

Spoilers say the Hound will meet the true BWB led or still with Thoros and they'all kill the pretenders.

The key question we should be discussing is why did they invoke the red god with "the night is dark and full of terror"???  Are they saying Rhilor and the red god are evil?  Are they saying LSH is back and they're making her a villain?

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Hide contents

Spoilers say the Hound will meet the true BWB led or still with Thoros and they'all kill the pretenders.

The key question we should be discussing is why did they invoke the red god with "the night is dark and full of terror"???  Are they saying Rhilor and the red god are evil?  Are they saying LSH is back and they're making her a villain?

Probably not. More so, I think they are saying that there is religion, and the religious fanaticism - which so happens to be one of the themes of the show to a certain extent 

23 hours ago, Zering said:

I'm guessing they were some sorts of BwB renegades and that they will take the places of the Brave Companions and Biter.

This would make sense.

I didn't really like this scene if i'm being honest.

crazy theory: Berics latest resurrection attempt didn't work. This leads Thoros to the conclusion that R'hollors power is withdrawing from him/them and they need to do something to please him -> Let's go full fanatic and kill some non-believers.

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Hide contents

I thought the reliable spoilers stated The Hound murders them all, including Thoros.

I hope it was a set up for a storyline about a rogue group pretending to be BWB in order to turn the common folk against the real BWB...  Otherwise, it will be yet another example of D&D making nonsensical changes to ASOIAF.

Yeah, this is something I stuggle with also. I am hoping there is an explanation behind the BWB appearing to kill innocent smallfolk.

There did seem to be a look of recognition at the Hound, so I guess they wanted him but killing everyone else doesn't really make sense if that's their goal.

I was hoping for a scen with Septon Ray and Brienne too so I'm disappointed by this scene.

2 hours ago, Ser Matt Dayne said:

Hide contents

I thought the reliable spoilers stated The Hound murders them all, including Thoros.

Spoiler

I thought they said the exact opposite.  The hound will run into Thoros and he and the real BWB will hunt down the rogue faction.  As much as I love the hound, no way he can beat the entire BWB and they have arrows too...

Just now, Smoke317 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I thought they said the exact opposite.  The hound will run into Thoros and he and the real BWB will hunt down the rogue faction.  As much as I love the hound, no way he can beat the entire BWB and they have arrows too...

Spoiler

And this goes in with Thoros' actor saying that he is fed up with the way the BwB is going and he breaks away.

1 minute ago, Ludo Kressh said:
  Hide contents

And this goes in with Thoros' actor saying that he is fed up with the way the BwB is going and he breaks away.

Spoiler

So could we really have LSH leading the rogue bunch???  These actions seem extreme for even her.  

2 hours ago, storm.131 said:

I hope it was a set up for a storyline about a rogue group pretending to be BWB in order to turn the common folk against the real BWB...  Otherwise, it will be yet another example of D&D making nonsensical changes to ASOIAF.

I couldn't see them as a rogue group, as the leader of the trio delivered his final line of the night being full of terrors quite convincingly. They represent the brotherhood or what's left of it at least.

Archived