Bad writing or fake arya?{spoilers}

ToTheWolves

I hope to god its some plot by Arya or a fake Arya, because otherwise it's atrocious writing.

Arya in either book or show is far too careful and clever to be so blatant in her movements and plans, especailly in populated areas - just think about how she was when she was in hiding in Kings Landing. 

For her to be this careless would be completely to undercut the whole of Arya's character. 

Waiting on next week for a satisfactory explanation but a bit concerned as to how they like to chop and change characters just to suit a plot point. 

I really hope Arya is up to something because even after Dorne, the writing / directing / whatever cannot be that bad, can it?

The scene was super wierd in every possible aspect. So my hope is that it wasn't our real Arya but instead it was Jaqen who was wearing her face. We know from season 5 that even faces of living men can be worn by FM. And the whole time Jaqen wasn't really testing Arya but he was testing the waif, because, despite all, she doesn't seem to give up on all her desires, emotions etc. And Jaqen uses Arya as the test. He gives his permission to the waif to kill Arya and then changes his face to Arya's one and tries to trick the waif into killing him. Until now, it is fine, because even D&D possibly can't try to make us believe that Arya would act in such a stupid way. But then, when the Arya is stumbling through the streets, it's quite wierd imo that no one seems to care that she is wounded in such a way, let alone trying to help her. And isn't it wierd that she can walk quite without problems while having two holes in her belly?

Did Arya mix herself a batch of Shade of the Evening? 

Getting a topic started on this forum is like getting teeth pulled, as mine are always rejected, so again I will just add to someone else’s

Is Arya experiencing a vision of things to come similar to Daenerys?

Remember the conversation between Daenerys and Pyat Pree before she entered the house of the Undying:

“Upon it rested a slender crystal glass filled with a thick blue liquid: shade of the evening, the wine of warlocks. “Take and drink,” urged Pyat Pree.

“Will it turn my lips blue?”

“One flute will serve only to unstop your ears and dissolve the caul from off your eyes, so that you may hear and see the truths that will be laid before you.”

It seems that Jaqen H'ghar knew and didn't really believe she was in any real danger of being killed by the Waif.

http://imgur.com/a/hZpfI

All that we saw happen to Arya, in the Broken Man, was just a possibility of things to come. She will see the Waif coming from a mile away when the time comes.

If this is the case then the writing would be superb as they slipped one passed everyone.  Well almost everyone.

Since Bobcut has beat the shit out of Arya every time they fought, even when Bobcut had no stick, for what possible reason would Bathrobe Not Jaqen think that Arya would be in NO danger from her?  Arya has lost to her every time they were matched.

I think this was a scene where they wanted the story to go a certain direction and got us there in a sloppy way that feels out of character and rushed. I don't think there's any more to it than that.

I think this makes sense if you think about what the next probable steps are in the story. Let’s assume it was straightforward. Arya was caught by surprise and the result is that she is seriously or mortally wounded. What will Arya do now? The most likely answer is that she will go where suffering and dying people go in Braavos to end their suffering- to the House of Black and White. Arya’s current situation is just what the House of Black and White is for. Additionally, I’d speculate that it might be the one place where a potential cure that doesn’t involve death can be found for her current medical predicament. (Recall how in the books it is said that the fact that maesters are skilled at preserving life also means they know about taking it as well. The FM might well prove this true again the other way around). 

The only other refuge Arya could seek at this point is Lady Crane and the actors, and there is much less foundation for it and less likelihood that they could heal her.

Having her go to the House of Black and White would also set up a face to face with JH. He would then discover that the waif disobeyed his order and thus failed to live up to the ideals of the FM just as Arya did. I think this will then lead to Arya getting her magic healing and a chance to cancel her debt to the FM if she can dispatch the waif in a better fashion than the waif tried to off her.

So basically, I think they wanted Arya to have to go to the temple from the point of view of a dying person and get this face to face with JH. Clearly it was set up clumsily. Arya shouldn’t have been quite so thick at this point. I also think they probably rushed it or decided to cut a couple other set up scenes, like how Arya suddenly has all that money for her passage home. But I see no evidence of a fake Arya or anything like that. I think even if the got us there clumsily the development that Arya will present herself at the temple of the people she knows have killed her makes sense with the storyline.

It could have been both but certainly not just the latter....

Also:

He would then discover that the waif disobeyed his order and thus failed to live up to the ideals of the FM just as Arya did

Har. Everything the Waif has ever done in that clown parade was against FM philosophy and she did it right in Kindly Jaqen's face.

29 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Since Bobcut has beat the shit out of Arya every time they fought, even when Bobcut had no stick, for what possible reason would Bathrobe Not Jaqen think that Arya would be in NO danger from her?  Arya has lost to her every time they were matched.

Except when she was blind, because cool scenes trump making sense.

4 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

When in doubt, always go for bad writing, because not once has going bad writing has been wrong in the past, case and point:

Talisa: Bad writing or more to her (Bad writing)

Cersei's Necklace: Bad writing or Cersei's set up (Bad writing)

SmallJon's betrayal: Bad writing or fake wolfhead (Bad writing).

Always go for bad writing.

Bad pussy

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

This could just as easily be a set up by Arya you realize that don't you? Feign weakness and vulnerability to lure her enemy out then strike.

This makes sense to me but I have a question: in the show was arya's face ever removed and added to the hall? I feel not and if not then this wouldn't work (not that d&d wouldn't do it anyway).

Arya was simply caught unaware.

Remember thw Waif had bested her every single time. She has been so far a better fighter and a better assassin. The Waif also has a much longer standing knowledge of facechanging, i'm not that surprised that Arya didn't see it coming, it was soooo fast.

My best is that the actress will save her in the end. A life for a life, after all.

I had to go back an view the episode again, thinking I missed a full scene.

In the previous episode we left Arya with Needle, waiting in the darkness for whatever could happened.  She knew they were coming after her.

In EP7 Arya is jumping in Braavos streets, talking to unknowns, not watching her back, showing money, , no Needle ...

13 minutes ago, ivosan said:

I had to go back an view the episode again, thinking I missed a full scene.

In the previous episode we left Arya with Needle, waiting in the darkness for whatever could happened.  She knew they were coming after her.

In EP7 Arya is jumping in Braavos streets, talking to unknowns, not watching her back, showing money, , no Needle ...

That's because she is having a "shade of the evening" vision.  It didn't make sense why she went to the House of Black and White's meth lab in episode 3 "Oathbreaker" but it seemed crystal clear to me after I watched last nights episode "The Broken Man"

12 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Which could just be well done foreshadowing that we all took as incongruence.

That's possible, it would be a show first, but it seems like that would be a lot of effort for Bobcut's story, when it doesn't matter to Arya's story,  Unless they plan to use it to reveal a much larger answer about Jaqen and Arya and the FM overall, what they see in her and what they want her for or something else that would qualify as a much larger issue than yeah, this other chick was a bad FM all along and Bathrobe Tom was setting her up for 2 seasons, like who cares about that?

17 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Which could just be well done foreshadowing that we all took as incongruence.

I literally NEVER turns out that way. We've wanted the stupidity to be hiding some kind of cleverness a few dozen times now, and it just doesn't. Not this time, not any time, not on D&D's watch.

Archived