I'm pleased with how few TWOW spoilers there seem to be this season

Wendel Shoemaker

Most of this season has either felt like tying up loose ends in AFFC/ADWD, or stuff that won't happen in the books.

The only things I expect to be spoilers are how the others were created, and Hodor, but both of those will most likely be different in context. Jon's ressurection and the return of the Hound are not things I would consider spoilers as they too will likely be quite different in the books, and the fandom had essentially already accepted these events as fact.

It's safe to say Doran won't die how he did, Sansa will have a different story, Davos will have a different story, Tyrion will have a different story, Benjin will be different, Theon and Asha will have a different story, Brienne will have a different story, and the way things are going for this season I can't see Jaime passing his AFFC/ADWD story. They spent the last 7 episodes leading up to Cersei's trial which I expect will happen early on in TWOW and after that the focus will shift to Aegon, and Dany really hasn't done anything this season. I'm not certain on this, but I think Jon will have a different story in the books as it feels like he's just doing Stannis's story right now. And then we know we can expect different things from Arianne, Victaron, Aeron, Barriston and Hotah.

There are only a couple episodes left, and I have a feeling one of them will be filled with the battle for Winterfell. As for the rest of the characters, I can't see their resolutions being very big considering what time is left. I'm really only expecting spoilers in maybe King's Landing and Winterfell, beyond perhaps Arya and Dany annoucing they are returning to Westeros.

I think it's safe to say that Jon and the Hound are 100% coming back in the books. I imagine Jon's resurrection will be more brutal, and come at the cost of Shireen. I think the Hound will be genuinely pious. I love the idea that only through abandoning his hatred and desire for vengeance, do the Gods offer Sandor the means to end his brother.

The others origin might be the same, but the Night King's origin is different.  

I'm in a screwed up relationship with the show right now, because even if it entered spoiler territory, I'd much rather be seeing Stannis mentoring Jon like Jon Arryn mentored his father and Robert, instead of Jon and Sansa begging. Or Barristan ruling Mereen instead of Tyrion the t-shirt meme generator. 

I think it depends on your definition of a spoiler.

Personally, I think confirmed fan theories do count as spoilers, even if said theories seem very likely to be true (examples: Jon being resurrected, Dany survivng Vaes Dothrak, Arya leaving the Faceless Men to return to Westeros as a trained assassin, Benjen coming back, etc). If you put yourself in the shoes of a reader who doesn't frequent sites like this or spend time discussing TWoW theories with friends, then this season has been spoilers galore. I personally know of readers who haven't even considered the possibility that Jon isn't Ned's son, yet it seems very likely that R+L=J will be confirmed this season. So they're in for a shock.

Even events that are likely to be portrayed very differently in the books (like Doran's death) can be considered a spoiler of sorts. Would the TV producers really kill off Doran if he was going to be a major player later on? GRRM will have told them his plans for that character.

I think there has been a lot of spoilers from Winds, while not everything will happen exactly the same way and many have been guessed before@

* Jon's resurrection

* Mel's true age.

* Jon leading the wildlings south (sorry I don't buy he's using Stannis story, this is his arc from the next book).

* Arya story I think has remained pretty close to her book arc.

* The Hound returning.

* Bran leaving the cave, Hodor dying.

* Margery avoiding a trial and Tommen committing to the faith.

* Dany with the Dothraki I am pretty sure this is close to book arc.

There is a clear divergence with Theon/Yara, Tyrion I think has just been sped up and given some of Barristan's arc, Jorah won't going out like that, I think Sansa will come North with the Vale in Winds but clearly it will be different.

2 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

I think it's safe to say that Jon and the Hound are 100% coming back in the books. I imagine Jon's resurrection will be more brutal, and come at the cost of Shireen. I think the Hound will be genuinely pious. I love the idea that only through abandoning his hatred and desire for vengeance, do the Gods offer Sandor the means to end his brother.

The others origin might be the same, but the Night King's origin is different.  

I'm in a screwed up relationship with the show right now, because even if it entered spoiler territory, I'd much rather be seeing Stannis mentoring Jon like Jon Arryn mentored his father and Robert, instead of Jon and Sansa begging. Or Barristan ruling Mereen instead of Tyrion the t-shirt meme generator. 

For sure.

I'm not sure the show's spoiling anything insofar as a lot of readers have come to most of these conclusions or variants of them.

1. Mel being older than she looked - her PoV chapter says as much.
  2. Shireen being burnt - check.
  3. Jon coming back - check (but it will have more context and meaning in the books, more consequences, and I do expect time spent in Ghost, or what was the point of the Varamyr prologue?)
  4. Origin of the Others - maybe like this, maybe not - but it won't be a throwaway scene, for sure.
  5. Hodor - I think a lot of people considered that there would be a connection with skinchanging/greenseeing.  We'll see.

As to other supposed spoilers:

Vale army?  Vastly different circumstances, and probably the battle with the Others rather than Winterfell, I imagine.

Clearly, most of what is happening in Jon and Sansa's TV stories will be completely different, because these are the dragons from butterflies that GRRM has referenced.

I think the Tommen/Margaery Faith alliance is more likely to be an Aegon/Arianne thread.

Dorne will clearly be different, as will Euron/Victarion/Asha and the Ironborn arcs.

I think Bran's will be different as we've already had more input on his training and know that Bloodraven is a very different character to the show's version.  I expect that will work out very differently.

So, yes, I think what we're seeing is quite superficial with regard to spoilers.

2 hours ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

Thats fan fiction territory right there.

Well, I guess it depends what you call a "spoiler" indeed... 

I think that you can choose to dismiss show information as "not being a books spoiler" all you want, a massive amount of yet unrevealed information has been unveiled by the show (Hodor, the creation of the Others by the COTF, the way wights like Coldhands are animated, the extent of Bran's powers, the fact Jon is resurrected, the fact Daenerys indeed needed to "go back" to Vaes Dothrak before being able to "go forward", the fact that Tyrion and Dany will end up meeting and collaborating etc). And I don't doubt these things will happen at least in a similar way in the books. 

Yeah there are more spoilers there if you think of it in a way of "at some point, Doran will die, and at some point Jon will bring the Wildlings south". In the context of this forum, I don't think the spoilers give away too much. In the context of TWOW, I think there will be very little overlap, especially when it comes to character arcs and motivation. I'm just saying the show is revealing a lot less than I was expecting.

I think the series is in essence marking time (while still entertaining us of course). I don't think they intend to wrap up the entire WoW storyline .

It's still not even *Winter*

I think the show will play out a dozen or so more episodes half pulled form ancillary storylines in AFFC and inch a few more characters along but that's it.  then the show will stop.

11 minutes ago, Pip Blackcloak said:

I think the series is in essence marking time (while still entertaining us of course). I don't think they intend to wrap up the entire WoW storyline .

It's still not even *Winter*

I think the show will play out a dozen or so more episodes half pulled form ancillary storylines in AFFC and inch a few more characters along but that's it.  then the show will stop.

Eh?!

3 hours ago, SuperMario said:

You are referring to the show, right? Because I agree with you.

The show is, by defintion, not fan fiction. HBO has rights to the material. Calling it fan fiction is empty criticism that means  absolutely nothing. 

52 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Well we know now Stannis is the one to beat the Boltons that can't be disputed now, but we have been spoiled in that at some point Jon and Sansa will get involved in the politics of the North again somehow

Where in the books does Stannis beat the Boltons?

I think Jon, Dany, Arya, and Bran will all be pretty similar. There will be differences of course, because the book isn't even written yet.

I think stuff like Cersei's Trial by Combat will be the same, but the rest of her story will be fairly different.

Tommen and Marg is almost totally different, but maybe they are taking fAegon and Arriane.

Sansa is pretty different, but will end in much the same place. Her bringing a Veil army in the north.

Ironborne is a like a cliffnotes version.

Theon, Jamie, and Briennes plot lines seem to have been skipped entirely, but they may be pushed into S7. Hopefuly TWOW is out before then.

I can't make heads or tails of Davos or Rickon.

Though my worst suspicion is that tying up the lose ends of ADWD will take most of TWOW and there will not be a lot of plot progression.

54 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

Where in the books does Stannis beat the Boltons?

Where in the books has Jon come back and gathered an army to fight the Boltons? We know Stannis is closer, with an army, and George has foreshadowed his victory. After spending all of ADWD building up the Stannis v Bolton fight George doesn't have time to have Stannis loses , hit a reset button and spend all of TWOW retelling a story he has already told but with Jon now

I'm hopeful Dany, Jaime, Brienne, Sam and Tyrion will cover more ground in Winds than they have in the show.  Specifically, Dany and Tyrion going back to Westeros.  If Dany's entire Winds arc is about winning over the Dothraki and going back to Slaver's Bay I'm going to be furious.  Dany not landing in Westeros by the end would make Winds an automatic fail for me, no matter what happens with the other storylines.

Jon, Sansa, Arya, Davos, Bran and Cersei will probably end up in about the same place, books and show imo.  Bran and Arya going home, Jon, Sansa and Davos retaking Winetrfell, Cersei burning KL.   

Archived