50 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Orlando Club Shooting

Jace, Extat

I just heard on CBC radio news that the shooter  was a frequent  club goer at the place he shot up. In the end it comes down to self-loathing and a lack of support  from the community  at large.  We all bear a small  share of the blame. 

4 minutes ago, alguien said:

Apparently Walmart will no longer be selling the AR-15. 

Walmart stopped selling AR-15s (and all other tactical style rifles and shotguns) late last year.  According to Walmart at the time,  it was a financial decision, as its very much a buyers' market for these types of rifles at the moment and prices for a basic,  low end AR-15 commonly run around $500,  where they were $700 or so back when Walmart first got back into that particular market around 2010 or so.  

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Its designed to be an instant background check.  You go in,  fill out ATF form 4473,  sign it,  and the gun shop cross checks it against the FBI database. It just takes a few minutes and is intended to be highly efficient and avoid inconveniencing law-abiding buyers.  The problem isn't so much with the instant check itself,  its that the database needs revamped and expanded to included cases like this jackass who was a walking red flag.       

5 minutes ago, Commodore said:

hangup with the AR-15 is so dumb, rifles are used in a tiny percentage of killings compared to pistols/shotguns

You'll get no argument from me whatsoever.   They do tend to be the weapon of choice when one of these wackos goes on a mass killing spree,  but that's largely due to the fact that AR-15s are the most popular rifle on the market these days.  There are literally millions of them in civilian hands at this point (plus millions more 'assault rifles' that aren't AR-15s, specifically).  Last I heard,  about 70 companies were building them in the US these days,  and total yearly production is going to be in the many hundreds of thousands,  perhaps over a million. Unfortunately,  that popularity inevitably leads them into the hands of a handful of nutjobs that slip through the background checks,  with this as the result.  

6 minutes ago, Commodore said:

hangup with the AR-15 is so dumb, rifles are used in a tiny percentage of killings compared to pistols/shotguns

How many mass shootings are the result of pistols and shotguns?

2 minutes ago, MisterSrna said:

How many mass shootings are the result of pistols and shotguns?

Most involve rifles,  but notably,  the previous worst mass shooting at Virginia Tech involved usage of handguns exclusively. 

Regardless, overall, there are many, many more homicides committed with handguns than rifles or shotguns. 

Wow. I can't believe we allow journalists to buy rifles.

In other news apparently mateens wife drove him to the club knowing what he was going to to and pleading with him to stop. Not good.

24 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Commodore,

They aren't exactly the same weapons.  Those on the right have larger ammunition capacity and are much easier to load.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Commodore,

They aren't exactly the same weapons.  Those on the right have larger ammunition capacity and are much easier to load.

A Ruger Mini-14 is a Ruger Mini-14.  They're functionally identical and ALL use the same magazines. 

39 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

Walmart stopped selling AR-15s (and all other tactical style rifles and shotguns) late last year.  According to Walmart at the time,  it was a financial decision, as its very much a buyers' market for these types of rifles at the moment and prices for a basic,  low end AR-15 commonly run around $500,  where they were $700 or so back when Walmart first got back into that particular market around 2010 or so.  

Ah. My friend just posted the NYT article and I didn't see the date stamp. 

4 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

A Ruger Mini-14 is a Ruger Mini-14.  They're functionally identical and ALL use the same magazines.

bb1180,

Interesting then that the magazines aren't show on the hunting rifle models shown in the image.  I think the biggest fight may be against high capacity magazines.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

bb1180,

Interesting then that the magazines aren't show on the hunting rifle models shown in the image then.  I think the biggest fight may be against high capacity magazines.

They only ship with different magazines. Some with 5 rounders,  some with 20s,  but ALL of the magazines are interchangeable.  If you buy one that ships with a 5 round magazine,  you can head to the local gun shop,  plop down $30 and walk out with a 20 or 30 round factory Mini-14 magazine that will work in it.  

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A friend who is an LGBT activist post this article to his facebook feed:

https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

I didn't realize the Ted Cruz, Lt. Gov. Patrick style of "make Christianity law" had a religious school of thought named after it.  As a Christian I believe the followers of this religious philosophy need to be stoped.  Forcing people into Christianity is not what Christ taught us.

I do not like this post. I do not like it one bit, not at all. The brave souls who need to defend the guns showing up was inevitable, but this just really gets me. I think it's that last word there, "us".

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A friend who is an LGBT activist post this article to his facebook feed:

https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

I didn't realize the Ted Cruz, Lt. Gov. Patrick style of "make Christianity law" had a religious school of thought named after it.  As a Christian I believe the followers of this religious philosophy need to be stoped.  Forcing people into Christianity is not what Christ taught us.

Yep, these rabid fundies pose a threat to humanity with their objective nothing short of total Christian theocratic control and forcing there bullshit beliefs on every citizen. It creates a lot of resentment among secular folks who are paying attention to such threats. It never fails to amaze me that the same proponents of Dominionism on one hand, can bleat the loudest against fundamentalist Islam while having soooo much in common with them. Smh. 

39 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yep, these rabid fundies pose a threat to humanity with their objective nothing short of total Christian theocratic control and forcing there bullshit beliefs on every citizen. It creates a lot of resentment among secular folks who are paying attention to such threats. It never fails to amaze me that the same proponents of Dominionism on one hand, can bleat the loudest against fundamentalist Islam while having soooo much in common with them. Smh. 

Why does this surprise you? They're not just for being a culture ruled by God, but by their God. You might as well wonder why Saudi Arabia isn't embracing Ted Cruz happily. 

39 minutes ago, Sivin said:

I do not like this post. I do not like it one bit, not at all. The brave souls who need to defend the guns showing up was inevitable, but this just really gets me. I think it's that last word there, "us".

Sivin,

Apologies.  By "us" I mean those of us who identify as Christians.  I will modify to make that clear.

Archived