50 Dead, Dozens Wounded in Orlando Club Shooting

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, Squab said:

I find that shit disgusting.  I cant (but have to) believe its just allowed to go on and when someone actually follows through, it takes someone pointing the finger at Christianity after an attack by "Radical Islamism" (to quote HRC) to bring it to the fore more.

But its not only the people believing in sky faeries that are crazy.  The Gawker stuff where they think its newsworthy to out someone and stand by it that contributes to a lack of respect and dehumanization in the media.

People been talking about Ted Cruz's horrible horrible religious connections for ages now.

6 minutes ago, Shryke said:

People been talking about Ted Cruz's horrible horrible religious connections for ages now.

Thank you.  I tend not to care about Ted Cruz and his friends.  Are they the go to thing for Jihadist attacks?  I would have thought Trump would have bigger idiots as friends.

Islam promotes homophobia... Idiot shoots up Pulse after declaring for ISIS... "But church does bad things too, see ted cruz's pals".  A conversation worthy of 1984, all we needed was someone to say "Religion of Peace" again.

1 minute ago, Squab said:

Thank you.  I tend not to care about Ted Cruz and his friends.  Are they the go to thing for Jihadist attacks?  I would have thought Trump would have bigger idiots as friends.

Islam promotes homophobia... Idiot shoots up Pulse after declaring for ISIS... "But church does bad things too, see ted cruz's pals".  A conversation worthy of 1984, all we needed was someone to say "Religion of Peace" again.

WTF are you on about?

7 minutes ago, Squab said:

1984 and doublethink

• The Ministry of Peace ran the war
  • The ministry of plenty organized rationing and starvation
  • Ministry of Love being about torture and brainwashing
  • Joy camps were basically concentration camps.

I can totally link this with current events; this is you commenting on how bad Kevin LOVE is playing in the NBA Finals. Right?

There are disturbed, angry individuals everywhere. Every country, regardless of religion, ethnicity, etc. There could be many reasons from upbringing, repressive social mores, rabid fundamentalism (and Islam has a serious problem in this regard of late), a shitty abused childhood and so on.

What isn't present everywhere is easy access to weapons that can kill scores of people at once. I just don't get how this seems contentious to anyone. If Mateen had had a knife, would he have killed even a fraction of this number before being overpowered? Maybe I'm just a naive idiot, but this seems far too obvious to be ignored. 

A friend who is an LGBT activist post this article to his facebook feed:

https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

I didn't realize the Ted Cruz, Lt. Gov. Patrick style of "make Christianity law" had a religious school of thought named after it.  As a Christian I believe the followers of this religious philosophy need to be stoped.  Forcing people into Christianity is not what Christ taught those of us who identify as Christians.

[edited to clarify confusing pronoun)

2 hours ago, Crixus said:

There are disturbed, angry individuals everywhere. Every country, regardless of religion, ethnicity, etc. There could be many reasons from upbringing, repressive social mores, rabid fundamentalism (and Islam has a serious problem in this regard of late), a shitty abused childhood and so on.

What isn't present everywhere is easy access to weapons that can kill scores of people at once. I just don't get how this seems contentious to anyone. If Mateen had had a knife, would he have killed even a fraction of this number before being overpowered? Maybe I'm just a naive idiot, but this seems far too obvious to be ignored. 

Agree. Unfortunately it seems to be an issue that a lot of people take very personally. I have no idea what gives anyone the right to own a gun, never mind an automatic rifle .

17 hours ago, Altherion said:

No, they do not -- or at least not all of them do. I don't want to go into this for obvious reasons, but our society relies on easily accessible stored energy (in many forms, some of which are volatile) and has many places where large numbers of people are packed into a relatively small area. As long as this is true, there will be essentially unstoppable attacks.

But they're not "harder" in the sense that they require more skill or even more effort. You'll be safer until the first bright madman or radical figures out one of the easy ways and then the copycats will come.

If it was really true that the "madmen" and "copycats" would figure that out, they would have done so already in all the countries that have stronger gun control laws than the USA. So I think your fear here is plainly wrong.

40 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Just heard on tv that gun sales for AR-15s have gone up significantly since Orlando. Sounds about right. Gotta get those assault rifles before the big bad Clinton abolishes the 2nd amendment.

And on that point, Neil Irwin wrote an article for the NYT that talks about gun laws loosening in Republican lead states after mass shootings.

3 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

It was the same gun used in three of the recent and most memorable mass shootings, including Orlando, Sandy Hook, and the Colorado movie theater shooting. 

He knows that.....

14 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

It was the same gun used in three of the recent and most memorable mass shootings, including Orlando, Sandy Hook, and the Colorado movie theater shooting. 

San Bernandino as well.

Archived