U.S. Elections: The Safe Space For People With Good Brains

this is a map of Trump over performing his current polling by 2%
This is a map of Clinton over performing her current polling by 2%
Here is sam wang's current state of the EC based on median polling.

cone graph of November probabilities based on current polling:

Histogram of all possible outcomes based on current polling

What sort of hissy fit does Trump throw if he loses, even if it's a landslide. Does he allege fraud and refuse to concede? How long can he draw it out? I cannot imagine Trump accepting reality if reality is an electoral defeat. It will be very interesting how he (and his inevitably rioting supporters) will react if he does lose. ;)

1 hour ago, Fez said:

There's an argument to be made that the first debate in 2012 helped Romney a great deal. Pre-debate he was down almost as much as Trump is now in the polls, post-debate he basically pulled even and then eventually settled back to the basically the margin he ended up losing at. This could've been regression to the mean that was happening anyway, or it could be that Obama was so bad in that debate and that it was the first look a lot of people had at Romney that it dispelled misgivings for a pretty large chunk of people.

Obviously it wasn't enough for him to win, but that could be chalked up to Obama correcting course and the Romney campaign not doing enough to capitalize on it.

I think the best way to look at the 2012 debates is that Obama was really flat during the first debate while Romney had time to prep from the primary. Obama got drubbed in the first debate, but he made up all the lost ground and then some with the "Please proceed Governor" moment. And then in the final debate the "We don't use horses and bayonets anymore" moment place Obama firmly as the victor of the three debates.

The thing that blew my mind about 2012 is I was expecting a long night and I was the DFL campaign party and the election was called like an hour after the party started. Wasn't expecting that at all. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I don't see that happening again though. Clinton's a very good debater (Obama is too; that was just an historically bad fluke performance) and Trump is Trump; his fans will love whatever he does, everyone else will hate it.

This. Debates are Clinton's best strength while Trump has always been terrible in them. He just screams and insults people and barely talks about anything of substance. That didn't matter that much in the primary, but it will in the general.  

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Never thought I'd say this, but I would like to have Megyn Kelly moderate one of those debates.

This has nothing to do with politics, but as I watched the O.J.: Made in America documentary I couldn't stop noticing how Nicole Simpson looked EXACTLY like Megyn Kelly. 

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This has nothing to do with politics, but as I watched the O.J.: Made in America documentary I couldn't stop noticing how Nicole Simpson looked EXACTLY like Megyn Kelly. 

“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”

/I know, I know. Express elevator to hell, going down.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:
“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”

/I know, I know. Express elevator to hell, going down.

At least you didn't add a meme! :lol:

John McCain pulls an apology out of his ass for a statement that he pulled out of his ass earlier.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mccain-i-misspoke-obama-orlando?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

“I misspoke. I did not mean to imply that the President was personally responsible. I was referring to President Obama’s national security decisions, not the President himself. As I have said, President Obama’s decision to completely withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq in 2011 led to the rise of ISIL. I and others have long warned that the failure of the President’s policy to deny ISIL safe haven would allow the terrorist organization to inspire, plan, direct or conduct attacks on the United States and Europe as they have done in Paris, Brussels, San Bernardino and now Orlando.”

/But...but this guy wasn't ISIL. There's no real connection to ISIL and the shooter. Bad Senator, no biscuit.

//Oh yeah, and that 2011 pullout date was set in place by Dubya, so kindly go take a nap and shut up now please.

2 hours ago, lokisnow said:

this is a map of Trump over performing his current polling by 2%
This is a map of Clinton over performing her current polling by 2%
Here is sam wang's current state of the EC based on median polling.

cone graph of November probabilities based on current polling:

Histogram of all possible outcomes based on current polling

What sort of hissy fit does Trump throw if he loses, even if it's a landslide. Does he allege fraud and refuse to concede? How long can he draw it out? I cannot imagine Trump accepting reality if reality is an electoral defeat. It will be very interesting how he (and his inevitably rioting supporters) will react if he does lose. ;)

Gawd, I can't wait to see this. It's either gonna be allegations of evil conspiracy or he's gonna jump in a hole and hide. Either will be great, he'll never be able to go outside again without a thousand reporters hounding for a shot of the fucking clown.

Just now, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

You forgot Dukakis and the Death Penalty. But, yes, it's been a long time since the debates meant anything.

Was that a big changer, though? I thought the driving around in the tank was a lot more ridiculously stupid and harmful. 

19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Here's the short list of VP candidates for Clinton.

I've been doing some research into the likely options for about a week now and I kinda dig Castro, inexperience aside, but that Texas home state disqualifies him in my mind.

Too many senators on the list.

Archived