U.S. Elections: The Safe Space For People With Good Brains

An ascended Vice-President isn't elected for the purposes of the Constitution. If it were, you wouldn't have the theoretical situation of a VP taking over three years into their predecessor's term, then serving two full terms for a total of nine years in office. Such a VP has only been elected twice, not three times.

So, yes, I don't see a problem with the loophole of Vice-President George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, or Barack Obama getting the presidency without being elected to it. They couldn't then stand for election, of course.

17 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You want the opposition party to be at least 2 heart beats from the White House, I would think.

The only time that became an issue, the opposition party (or at least the Democratic Speaker Carl Albert) didn't want to take the presidency because it'd look like a coup. Albert allowed Nixon to appoint a fresh VP (Gerald Ford) before resigning (Nixon's first VP, Spiro Agnew, had already been forced to resign). The result was that you ended up with someone who wasn't elected either as President or as Vice-President running things, but at least he belonged to the party that had won the White House at the previous election.

Fun fact - if Albert had been taken out of the equation via a car accident or something, the next in line was none other than Democratic Senator James Eastland from Mississippi. Eastland might have been less fair-minded than Albert, and was an industrial-strength racist and anti-semite.

17 hours ago, Notone said:

Hum, I think that could actually be a somewhat interesting academic debate between lawyers. Let's see the 22nd amendment.

The wording in law is crucial. No Person shall be elected more than twice. Would a VP taking over for a deceased or otherwise incapacitated POTUS considered as elected?

Now you can either argue, yes of course, his name was on the ticket. Then Obama would not be eligible to run as VP. If you argue, no. The vote in the General Election was for the President (Hillary), not for her VP, then in theory Obama should be able to take over for Hillary. I would think the first position looks more logical, and thus rule out Obama even as theoretical VP pick.

No, a former president cannot be vice-president.  From the 12th Amendment to the US Constitution:

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

8 hours ago, snake said:

Seems like one poor deranged soul wanted to rid everyone of the Donald.   Honestly,with all the vicious and hate-filled rhetoric thus far, I would not be surprised if some unstable person does make a serious attempt on the man.

The one thing in Trump's favour is that most of the nutjobs likely to try to kill a politician are racist, xenophobic and islamophobic, which means they are more inclined to support Trump. Of course most isn't all, so he's not totally safe from it.

17 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Trump has 1.3m cash in hand according to latest FEC filings. In addition, 20% of Trump's expenditures has been to Trump businesses, including a salary to himself.

Clinton's fundraising hasn't actually been that amazing either (she's behind Obama in 2008 and 2012); but fortunately Trump's been so pathetic that it shouldn't matter much. The real question will what next month's FEC filings bring, since that's when we'll know how the newly spun up pro-Trump superPACs are doing. If there is a similar disparity, or even if they are only on par with the pro-Clinton superPACs, that's when I'll finally feel safe that Democrats will actually have a funding advantage this go around.*

*At least for the Presidential race. Congressional races are a different beast, particularly since that's where a lot of big Republican donors are talking about focusing entirely on.

15 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Bearing in mind that it's been over 40 years since a VP took over from their boss mid-term, and over 50 years since an *elected* VP took over from their boss mid-term.

Of the "accidental Presidents", John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, and Andrew Johnson were clear failures, but they were also the first three of their kind. The remaining ones are Chester Arthur, Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, and Gerald Ford, none of whom compare badly with the people who were elected President from the get-go. 

Frankly I'd be inclined to bump Ford onto the list of failures. He clearly wasn't as disastrous as his nineteenth century antecedents, but the only reason we don't talk about how economically illiterate Ford's administration was is because he was there so briefly, and he wasn't elastic enough on policy to compare favorably with Nixon in that respect.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, a former president cannot be vice-president.  From the 12th Amendment to the US Constitution:

I wonder though if that does fully settle it. The 22nd amendment doesn't say two-term Presidents are constitutionally ineligible, just that they can't be elected President again. Which could imply that the 12th amendment just means that the vice president must be a natural born citizen and over the age of 35.

So that's puts us back at the same point as before. I tend to think the Supreme Court would rule against this arrangement, but maybe its so politicized these days that it wouldn't if a majority was from the party proposing to do this.

42 minutes ago, Fez said:

I wonder though if that does fully settle it. The 22nd amendment doesn't say two-term Presidents are constitutionally ineligible, just that they can't be elected President again. Which could imply that the 12th amendment just means that the vice president must be a natural born citizen and over the age of 35.

So that's puts us back at the same point as before. I tend to think the Supreme Court would rule against this arrangement, but maybe its so politicized these days that it wouldn't if a majority was from the party proposing to do this.

This^^^ The 12th says the VP must meet all qualifications to be president, doesn't say anything about qualifications to be elected president.

Trump has written a lot of books about business—but they all seem to end at Chapter 11.

I really do love the interns running Clinton's twitter account.

49 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Interesting twist to Trump's FEC filings. Turns out, the campaign paid "Draper Sterling", the fictional ad agency from Mad Men, 30k for web advertising. 

This story gets even weirder...

This is when things get interesting.

The only other apparent public mention of Draper Sterling effectively accuses it of being a scam that helps perpetrate legally questionable activity.

It comes from an FEC complaint against an entity called “Patriots For America,” a federal super PAC seeking to influence the Missouri governor’s race. The complaint, filed on May 12 by an economics professor named Aaron Hedlund, alleges that Patriots For America listed no receipts or disbursements on its FEC filings, yet sent out direct mail.

It also highlights an unusual debt of $56,234 to “Draper Sterling LLC” for “business consulting.” Hedlund describes the debt as “mysterious,” “highly unusual” and a potential violation of the law.

Patriots for America is run by Adam McLain, who is Paul Holzer’s brother.

To recap, there is a nexus between Jon Adkins, Paul Holzer and Adam McLain that meets at the mysterious Draper Sterling. We still aren’t sure what Draper Sterling actually does but these individuals are going to considerable lengths to obfuscate their activities.

Just now, Maltrouane Fellaini said:

The Mad Men agency was Sterling Cooper

I know that. It was also Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Pryce. The point, as you'll see from the different articles, is that this company looks totally bogus.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is that legal? 

I have no idea. It's kind of nuts that he's paying himself though. In 14 days from 5/1-5/14, it seems he paid himself ~14k based on the picture from the FEC filings in payroll. Now, there might be attachments on what the reason for that is that I haven't seen yet so there might be something perfectly legit for why that happened. I just don't know it yet.

Archived