U.S. Elections: The Safe Space For People With Good Brains

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Kaine rises to top of Clinton's veep list
The selection process is colored by new uncertainty among Democrats about whether Trump will be the GOP nominee.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/kaine-rises-to-top-of-clintons-veep-list-224702

I'm starting to wonder if Trump will refuse the nomination or walk out and give the Delegates at the RNC the finger then walk off stage.  Trump just doesn't seem to be trying very hard since he locked up the nomination.

I'm starting to wonder if Trumo will refuse the nomination or walk out and give the Delegates at the RNC the finger then walk off stage.  Trump just doesn't seem to be trying very hard since he locked up the nomination.

He just seems overwhelmed to me. I think the nomination battle gave him a false impression how a general election would be. He had it so easy, stealing Jeb's lunch, with Cruz as his wingman most of the fight. Everyone kept telling him he had crossed over the line and was now finished, then was immediately proven wrong.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

He just seems overwhelmed to me. I think the nomination battle gave him a false impression how a general election would be. He had it so easy, stealing Jeb's lunch, with Cruz as his wingman most of the fight. Everyone kept telling him he had crossed over the line and was now finished, then was immediately proven wrong.

I agree with this. Like many, Trump probably thought he possessed some kind of election-winning magic, but what he really has is a nativist, racist message that resonates with conservatives but repels everyone else. He's learning that winning a general election is...different.

2 hours ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

He doesn't seem ready to throw in the towel yet, he's reportedly raised $11 million since Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/22/politics/donald-trump-11-million-since-tuesday/index.html

I'll be interested to find out on the next FEC report whether this is actually, you know, true. Because I think there's a strong chance they are straight up lying right now. The last fundraising report I heard about was that there would be an event in NYC, hosted by Woody Johnson (fuck, I hate being a Jets fan sometimes), where the seats were only $500 and there was still very little interest in attending.

2 hours ago, Bold Barry Whitebeard said:

He doesn't seem ready to throw in the towel yet, he's reportedly raised $11 million since Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/22/politics/donald-trump-11-million-since-tuesday/index.html

You mean he paid his own campaign $11M much of which he hopes to make back from donations from poor saps and payments to his companies.

What a nice shell game he is operating.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

as though it weren't all theatre at this point; the GOP will buy him off, or it'll've been pre-arranged for him to quit, and let speaker of house white knight it.

Except that if Ryan tries that, it'll be so easy for Democrats to point out that no-one voted for this guy in the primary. Any White Knight would be on a suicide mission, and that's before taking into account the inevitable anger of sincere Trump supporters. 

5 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Except that if Ryan tries that, it'll be so easy for Democrats to point out that no-one voted for this guy in the primary. Any White Knight would be on a suicide mission, and that's before taking into account the inevitable anger of sincere Trump supporters. 

agreed.  the risk there is that the trumpenized antisocial nihilists (love that, RRL) are alienated because ryan is no rightwing populist.  there's also the risk that trump does not abandon his campaign even if he's fired off the GOP.  

but: it really is time for them to bust out the hail mary, no?  

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm starting to wonder if Trump will refuse the nomination or walk out and give the Delegates at the RNC the finger then walk off stage.  Trump just doesn't seem to be trying very hard since he locked up the nomination.

I think there is some chance Trump may do that. But if he does, it will be a petulant narcissistic spur of the moment decision, not part of some long term conspiratorial plan to deliberately wreck the party's chances.

27 minutes ago, sologdin said:

agreed.  the risk there is that the trumpenized antisocial nihilists (love that, RRL) are alienated because ryan is no rightwing populist.  there's also the risk that trump does not abandon his campaign even if he's fired off the GOP.  

but: it really is time for them to bust out the hail mary, no?  

Trumpenprols? 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I think there is some chance Trump may do that. But if he does, it will be a petulant narcissistic spur of the moment decision, not part of some long term conspiratorial plan to deliberately wreck the party's chances.

So, it is basically 50/50 then?

One might speculate that jetting off to Scotland to wrangle with the Scots who hate him and the golf course he rode in on, and whom he's screwed over again and again, isn't the best move for a guy running for POTUS and who needs campaign funds and a ground game.

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

So, it is basically 50/50 then?

He forgave $50 million in loans today that he gave his campaign over the course of the primary season, meaning he can longer legally reimburse himself for those previous campaign donations (although he can still run most of his future campaign expenses through his businesses to route donations to himself that way). That's a pretty big commitment and a sign I think that he's definitely in this for the long haul.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

He forgave $50 million in loans today that he gave his campaign over the course of the primary season, meaning he can longer legally reimburse himself for those previous campaign donations (although he can still run most of his future campaign expenses through his businesses to route donations to himself that way). That's a pretty big commitment and a sign I think that he's definitely in this for the long haul.

I am very sure he is staying but could not pass up to comment on when I saw petulant narcissistic. 

Archived