[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

3 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yup, excellent video. Still disagree with him about season 6 being the worst, i believe season 5 was worse. And Stannis' very bad day is still the worst episode of the series for me.

I'd agree with you - season 5 really hit rock bottom.  Season 6 just flails about in the same mess. :)

3 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yup, excellent video. Still disagree with him about season 6 being the worst, i believe season 5 was worse. And Stannis' very bad day is still the worst episode of the series for me.

Agreed. S5.09 is still the only episode I have rated a 1/10. Some came close this season (the culmination of Arya's Braavos arc very close indeed) but that is the worst episode for me.

8 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I'd agree with you - season 5 really hit rock bottom.  Season 6 just flails about in the same mess. :)

Well, for me S6 is worse. S5 was a botched story and imo the wrong story, but still some story. S6 ain't even a story anymore. S6 is so bad that you might as well skip almost all of S6 and go from S5 finale to 6x09. Because whatever happens in between is either filler, meaningless, faux-tenstion or makes no sense.

I think you also read the end of novels before the middle part, right? I do too. I do it to peek ahead in order to fully enjoy the middle. Thing is. I have closed books and put them away after reading the ending of that novel or book in a series, because it was clear from it that the road between beginning and end would not be worth reading at all. That's what S6 is to me. Ok, saw the ending of S6, everything before that is meaningless and not worht the watch.

1 minute ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, for me S6 is worse. S5 was a botched story and imo the wrong story, but still some story. S6 ain't even a story anymore. 

You're right that S6 undoubtedly has ditched even trying for a coherent narrative.

I think that rot began in earnest in S5 with the mind-numbingly stupid "Avenge Them" marriage and the incontrovertible proof of the Others of Hardhome still leading to Jon's assassination and Stannis's Bad Day.  The stupidity of these blew my mind - and season 6 continued that.

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, for me S6 is worse. S5 was a botched story and imo the wrong story, but still some story. S6 ain't even a story anymore. S6 is so bad that you might as well skip almost all of S6 and go from S5 finale to 6x09. Because whatever happens in between is either filler, meaningless, faux-tenstion or makes no sense.

Agreed.  I don't know how far it gets us to even try to rank the various seasons but, for me, they really just keep getting worse due to the mistakes made earlier inevitably resulting in even more mistakes later.  It really is quite the downward spiral.:dunno:

Just now, Ser Quork said:

You're right that S6 undoubtedly has ditched even trying for a coherent narrative.

I think that rot began in earnest in S5 with the mind-numbingly stupid "Avenge Them" marriage and the incontrovertible proof of the Others of Hardhome still leading to Jon's assassination and Stannis's Bad Day.  The stupidity of these blew my mind - and season 6 continued that.

Yes, it seriously began to unravel in S5. S6 is like trying to roll a ball of wool with thousand and one threads of wool that aren't longer than an inch.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

I think the show is sticking to main story points. Points A and B, and changing in between.

I like to think of it as a car on one of those driver training courses where you have to drive from point A to B without hitting the traffic cones placed in between. GRRM's car manages this without much trouble, even if he drives a bit slow at times. D&D, on the other hand, decided that this was too much of a challenge for them, so they removed some of the cones beforehand, but even so, they still manage to hit a lot of the cones. So, yeah, both cars have gotten from point A to B, but only one of them has left a complete mess in its wake.

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think the show is sticking to main story points. Points A and B, and changing in between.

I think Jon becomes king via the Robb's will plot. And Sansa does not become queen.

Well, we don't know what the main story points are.  And considering it makes no sense (at this point in the story), I'm going to go with this being a likely deviation.  In fact, I believe most of which in the TV show for now on, except for a few stolen moments like Hodor, will be very different.  But we will have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Einheri said:

I like to think of it as a car on one of those driver training courses where you have to drive from point A to B without hitting the traffic cones placed in between. GRRM's car manages this without much trouble, even if he drives a bit slow at times. D&D, on the other hand, decided that this was too much of a challenge for them, so they removed some of the cones beforehand, but even so, they still manage to hit a lot of the cones. So, yeah, both cars have gotten from point A to B, but only one of them has left a complete mess in its wake.

:bowdown: This is perfect!  :thumbsup:

On 7/10/2016 at 0:14 PM, Ser Quork said:

Damn shame they didn't let the character earn it though. :(

^^This. He and Sansa both did things that got a lot of people killed. However, her dealings with LF at least got the battle won. I don't like either of them as king or queen in this scenario because of their dumb decisions, but if they had to go this route they should have acknowledged the true born Stark, Sansa as Queen, and made Jon military general in charge. Considering his experience will lend more to the fight against the Others instead of holding WF. And both siblings should have mentioned Bran to the Northern lords before throwing succession right out the window. I don't know why they couldn't have at least mentioned Bran, and agreed to act as joint Wardens of the North, until they discover once and for all what's happened to Bran, the rightful heir. It's very ableist how Bran isn't even considered by either sibling (and more importantly by the writers) just because he is disabled. Willas is disabled but still considered the heir to Highgarden. Robert Arryn has health issues but is still considered the heir to the Vale. The whole execution of this King in the North scenario was really stupid and could have been remedied by including Robb's will. They also should have never let either sibling know that Bran and Rickon were alive if they were going to just let them both conveniently forget it when it matters. Seriously, they never know this in the books why was it important for them to know in the show if it wasn't going to lead anywhere? Rickon was just needlessly killed off anyway. They didn't need Rickon in the Northern story line at all for Jon and Sansa to have the impetus to fight Ramsay. But then again, Sansa didn't need to be raped to have the motivation to want WF back and the Boltons gone. The writers always focus on dumb shocks instead of organic story development that would actually mean something.

8 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Yes, it seriously began to unravel in S5. S6 is like trying to roll a ball of wool with thousand and one threads of wool that aren't longer than an inch.

Season 4 was when I noticed the cracks. Suddenly, Jamie is fucking Cersei in the White Sword Tower, she's into him again when she wasn't for the first half of the season, no Tysha reveal, no rift between Tyrion and Jamie, nor Tyrion's reveal about Cersei's cheating, no Lady Stoneheart. Then season 5 was just completely terrible. Season 6 was basically a crack fanfic au. I'm waiting for the next two seasons to be as off the rails as Parks and Recreation foreshadowed. Will Dany marry Jack Sparrow? Anything is possible.

20 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

Season 6 review: 

I don't agree with everything, but he certainly pointed out how inconsistent the show is. I particularly enjoyed the comments about Daario. He was one of the few characters I cared about this season (aside from his prettiness), and he said so, too! Who would have believed they made Daario seem more sympathetic than the main characters.

15 hours ago, williamwire said:

Well, we don't know what the main story points are.  And considering it makes no sense (at this point in the story), I'm going to go with this being a likely deviation.  In fact, I believe most of which in the TV show for now on, except for a few stolen moments like Hodor, will be very different.  But we will have to wait and see.

It's worth pointing out that for the most part, as of Season 6, the show has overshot any source material from which it would have deviated. So, really, the showrunners have been presented with an ending (how broad and detailed an ending we can only wait to find out) and are pretty much left to their own devices in getting the plot from where it's at to this ending. Woe is me.

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I don't agree with everything, but he certainly pointed out how inconsistent the show is. I particularly enjoyed the comments about Daario. He was one of the few characters I cared about this season (aside from his prettiness), and he said so, too! Who would have believed they made Daario seem more sympathetic than the main characters.

You pointed out my biggest issue with D&D perfectly.

It's true that GRRM is the master of nonlinear character arc-progression (as in, he doesn't necessarily 'prime' his characters to become more and more important to the story as his plotlines progress; he has a knack for letting unlikely characters all but literally fall into more central roles as the story unfolds, which complements his more celebrated knack for killing off seemingly central characters rather well), but one couldn't even pass off the showrunners bumbling efforts as that. It gets even worse, though -- if the writing team would have forgone GRRM-esque plot development for a straightforward, small-screen style of linearity, 'priming' characters who would actually be there when the story ends, I would have happily credited them for it; but they haven't even managed that. They've been striking out in all directions like Maester Aemon conducting a symphony orchestra, creating supporting characters with more appeal than any of their main characters, and completely throwing off their unfortunate viewers as their favourites are cast aside for "story's sake".

This in addition to my former comment, as (one) explanation for why I'm not looking forward to Season 7. 

20 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Well, for me S6 is worse. S5 was a botched story and imo the wrong story, but still some story. ight as wS6 ain't even a story anymore. S6 is so bad that you mell skip almost all of S6 and go from S5 finale to 6x09. Because whatever happens in between is either filler, meaningless, faux-tenstion or makes no sense.

I think you also read the end of novels before the middle part, right? I do too. I do it to peek ahead in order to fully enjoy the middle. Thing is. I have closed books and put them away after reading the ending of that novel or book in a series, because it was clear from it that the road between beginning and end would not be worth reading at all. That's what S6 is to me. Ok, saw the ending of S6, everything before that is meaningless and not worht the watch.

:thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

That was how all this mess started!

On 11/7/2016 at 11:03 AM, sweetsunray said:

Exactly. Count me in on those who think S06 was way worse than S05. At least for that one I didn't erase my copies of the episodes right away!

It's clear to me that for season 6, they stopped even trying. Showrunners and actors alike.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to say S6 was worse than S5, if only because the technical aspects of the show were improved. It looked better than S5. The directing, the cinematography and the editing were better. I would probably give each season a similar rating.

So thanks to Varys, Dorne is allied with Dany, meaning Tyrion is on the same side as Ellaria Sand, who murdered his niece.

What happens when Tyrion finds out they did this? Or will Dumbass & Dumbass conveniently forget about this plot point like they did in Season 6 from episode 2 onwards?  

I can't help but think this is another corner they've written themselves into. I did enjoy Season 6 from a pure entertainment perspective but I can't help but think the finale was all just a massive cop-out. There was so much potential, but we never get to find out what everyone was actually up to and what their plans were, instead D&D just do it the lazy way and it's "and then they all died, the end."

Archived