MLB 2016: Win for Vin

Myshkin

35 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

True enough.  But if there is a silver lining...it's that 32 teams seems to be the ultimate saturation point for a major sports league...

I'm thinking Montreal and maybe Charlotte...no I really have no idea...

I don't like the idea of Montreal getting another chance. Except for a few years in the early eighties they had below average attendance. It can't even be blamed on the strike or Jeffrey Loria. 

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml

Gotta wonder if Vegas would maybe be on the expansion radar with the nhl set to go there next year and the nfl possibly as well in the near future, unless they'd be worried about over saturating a market of that size with three professional sports franchises. Plus, all the gambling and cheating issues with baseball may make for a bad match.

6 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Gotta wonder if Vegas would maybe be on the expansion radar with the nhl set to go there next year and the nfl possibly as well in the near future, unless they'd be worried about over saturating a market of that size with three professional sports franchises. Plus, all the gambling and cheating issues with baseball may make for a bad match.

Unless they got an indoor stadium it would be impossible to play there. I don't think gambling is a concern these days.  You couldn't possibly pay a ballplayer enough to throw a game. 

7 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Unless they got an indoor stadium it would be impossible to play there. I don't think gambling is a concern these days.  You couldn't possibly pay a ballplayer enough to throw a game. 

Indoor stadium would be a must for sure. I should've phrased the gambling issue better, as it's more of the stigma of its connection with baseball's past and not it's present, but the media would probably still push it to the forefront.

4 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Indoor stadium would be a must for sure. I should've phrased the gambling issue better, as it's more of the stigma of its connection with baseball's past and not it's present, but the media would probably still push it to the forefront.

I should have known that's where you were going. That make sense but we'll see what happens.  

Vegas, Montreal,  Portland, Charlotte, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Orlando, San Antonio, Vancouver...all are major cities with professional sports present, but no baseball.  Some would be more fun than others.  And I think about this too much...

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Vegas, Montreal,  Portland, Charlotte, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Orlando, San Antonio, Vancouver...all are major cities with professional sports present, but no baseball.  Some would be more fun than others.  And I think about this too much...

Columbus means you're counting the NHL, in which case there are a slew of cities you left off. What's your formula?

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Columbus means you're counting the NHL, in which case there are a slew of cities you left off. What's your formula?

Nothing specific.  Honestly, some of this comes from a story I was attempting to write years ago and it was something I was using for my world building.  Columbus only ever gets a mention from new because I have friends and family there, not because of the NHL presence. :P

I do try to stick to larger cities...I mean there's also Albuquerque and Boise, but really, why go there?

No, they're not, but they are in someone else's territory and have to share TV money with the Orioles.

I can't imagine the Mariners being happy if MLB tried to place an expansion team in Vancouver or Portland.  Same with the Reds and Indians not being thrilled with a team in Columbus. Or the Rangers and Astros if San Antonio got a team. 

43 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

No, they're not, but they are in someone else's territory and have to share TV money with the Orioles.

I can't imagine the Mariners being happy if MLB tried to place an expansion team in Vancouver or Portland.  Same with the Reds and Indians not being thrilled with a team in Columbus. Or the Rangers and Astros if San Antonio got a team. 

Which has always been a BS argument (I realize not yours personally) See NY Rangers, NY Islanders and New Jersey Devils for overlapping viewing territory. It's the primary reason Hamilton was overlooked for NHL expansion when the population was there to support it. Boohoo Toronto. If the market (population) supports it, then tv market can GF. I know it's not that simple, but it's irksome. 

I think of a city like London and soccer. There's a crazy map out there of all the pro and semi pro clubs in that one city and it's insane. Look at how many EPL teams there are, just on their own. But tv rights in England aren't like they are in here in North America. 

10 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Which has always been a BS argument (I realize not yours personally) See NY Rangers, NY Islanders and New Jersey Devils for overlapping viewing territory. It's the primary reason Hamilton was overlooked for NHL expansion when the population was there to support it. Boohoo Toronto. If the market (population) supports it, then tv market can GF. I know it's not that simple, but it's irksome. 

I think of a city like London and soccer. There's a crazy map out there of all the pro and semi pro clubs in that one city and it's insane. Look at how many EPL teams there are, just on their own. But tv rights in England aren't like they are in here in North America. 

Baseball takes it to the extreme. Shit, it seems like the A's have a better chance of moving back to Philadelphia than they do of building a stadium in Santa Clara. I assumed a big reason Hamilton got overlooked was the weakness of the Canadian dollar but the Leafs making a stink sounds right. 

I don't even know how the TV rights for soccer work. I imagine the EPL holds them much in the way the NFL does and the FA holds the rest. Since they have an open system having multiple teams in and around London is something they wouldn't even think about. 

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Do the Mariners own the market rights in Vancuver and Portland? If they do then the MLB can't put a team in those cities without the M's ok. If they don't then they're shit out of luck. And honestly, how much of the M's revenue is dependent on out of state/country fans? 

Columbus is a bit of a different story, but if neither of the Ohio teams already own the rights to that market then the MLB is free to try. The problem with putting a team in Columbus wouldn't so much be making the Reds and Indians unhappy; it would be that pretty much every baseball fan in Columbus already has a regional baseball team that the root for. 

34 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Do the Mariners own the market rights in Vancuver and Portland? If they do then the MLB can't put a team in those cities without the M's ok. If they don't then they're shit out of luck. And honestly, how much of the M's revenue is dependent on out of state/country fans? 

Columbus is a bit of a different story, but if neither of the Ohio teams already own the rights to that market then the MLB is free to try. The problem with putting a team in Columbus wouldn't so much be making the Reds and Indians unhappy; it would be that pretty much every baseball fan in Columbus already has a regional baseball team that the root for. 

Vancouver is shared between the Mariners and the Blue Jays and Portland is in Seattle's entirely. 

That part of Ohio belongs to both. Yeah, Ohio is so small that I can't see fans changing allegiance.  

Frankly I'm not sure how that happens at all with expansion teams. 

Archived