MLB 2016: Win for Vin

Myshkin

I never hated him like I genuinely hated Pedro or Schilling or Lackey or Papelbon or Varitek, etc. I hated when he killed us and hope he doesn't go out on top, but he's a likable enough dude. The year long retirement shit is annoying but all these dudes are such ego maniacs, what can you do? 

OMG I am listening to a bunch of dumbfucks yammer about last night's result. I mean, I hate the St. Louis Shitbirds, but if that call sucked, the Reds' manager should have moved his ass faster than 30 seconds after the goddamned play ended to argue the call. And these bloviating assholes are bitching about "a blight on baseball." I hope a syphilitic monster crushes whoever the fuck it is doing the TV broadcast of this game I'm watching (Phils-Mets). Ugh.

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I never hated him like I genuinely hated Pedro or Schilling or Lackey or Papelbon or Varitek, etc. I hated when he killed us and hope he doesn't go out on top, but he's a likable enough dude. The year long retirement shit is annoying but all these dudes are such ego maniacs, what can you do? 

I might add Manny into that group as well.  

How many fans argue against the DH yet have no issue with the NBA 3pt shot? The DH is actually 6 years older than the NBA 3pt shot, think about that.

Anyways the DH aint never, ever going away so keep holding that irritation if you like but it will be pointless.

14 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

How many fans argue against the DH yet have no issue with the NBA 3pt shot? The DH is actually 6 years older than the NBA 3pt shot, think about that.

Anyways the DH aint never, ever going away so keep holding that irritation if you like but it will be pointless.

Nobody cares about basketball. 

And pitchers need to bat for their own fucking selves.

My Cardinals are being the 2016 Cardinals, going from a tremendous emotional victory to playing like beaten, scared losers. This has to be about my 200th severe mood change this season regarding their team. I don't know of a crazier Jekyll and Hyde team I've paid close attention to. Shit pitching, asinine management decisions, braindead baserunning, lazy fielding, and a whole lot of home runs. It's just not the kind of baseball I want from my team. So god damn frustrated right now, and next week I'll be watching the filthy Cubs stomping everyone.

At the same time, the Iowa Hawkeyes are doing the same goddamn thing (only its the 4th game not 11th or 12th). Going from an over-achieving team that won a lot of regular season games last year, to an exposed team trying to lose a game at home to a gritty but lesser rival. TV and mlb.tv feed, both are just pissing me off all afternoon.

Why the hell didn't I buy beer for this afternoon.

15 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Nobody cares about basketball. 

And pitchers need to bat for their own fucking selves.

Madison Bumgarner is a legit power threat and he batted for himself against Oakland recently even though they couldve used a DH in that game. Greinke, Wainwright and some others have been decent hitters in the past as well. Some of them can hit. Many struggle because they do not get enough practice time to be effective at it on a MLB level, even though they may have been pretty good hitters in H.S. and the College level. This is just a byproduct of specialization and its not unique to MLB. All sports feature certain players who specialize in a certain few skills that dominates their focus.

44 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Not a proper equivalence, methinks. The guy who shoots that 3 pointer still has to be able to defend on the other end of the court. The same is not true for the DH. 

Yes, the DH rule will never go away. Much like herpes, strangely enough.

3 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We accept great fielding SS, Catchers and utility men who cant hit their weight.. So it's a double standard to criticize a great hitter who is marginal with the glove. 

It really isn't, as it becomes part of the give and take strategy that you have to employ in the N.L. You don't have to factor in that consideration when you have a DH. That player's fielding becomes irrelevant because you can hide it behind the DH.

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We accept great fielding SS, Catchers and utility men who cant hit their weight.. So it's a double standard to criticize a great hitter who is marginal with the glove. 

No. 

The catchers who can't hit still have to face pitching.  

The hitter who can't field gets to be a DH in the American League and doesn't have to field.  

Not the same. 

Fuck the DH. 

30 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It really isn't, as it becomes part of the give and take strategy that you have to employ in the N.L. You don't have to factor in that consideration when you have a DH. That player's fielding becomes irrelevant because you can hide it behind the DH.

I was waiting to hear that strategy excuse and thas why I initially mentioned the 3pt rule in the NBA, which you dont have a problem with that rule change totally changing a sports strategy so thats not a good example to me. Anyways i will agree to disagree, its the NL fans perogative to piss and moan over the 40+ year old rule change. But the NL will still lose again in this years WS so this post season is going to be fun to watch.

Well with that lame All-Star game rule homefield the AL will enjoy, that is certainly a possibility. That said, 4 of the last 6 have crowned NL champs. 

It's not just the strategy excuse that comes into play. There is a simple truth to "if you play the field, you also get to bat". It just makes sense. 

/I agree with you that it is a bias that is affected by ones fandom. I'm a lifelong Giants fan, so obviously I'm an NL first guy. Which is going to make me an anti-DH guy 95 times out of 100.  

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I was waiting to hear that strategy excuse and thas why I initially mentioned the 3pt rule in the NBA, which you dont have a problem with that rule change totally changing a sports strategy so thats not a good example to me. Anyways i will agree to disagree, its the NL fans perogative to piss and moan over the 40+ year old rule change. But the NL will still lose again in this years WS so this post season is going to be fun to watch.

The NL has won six of the last ten World Series.

I'll never respect the DH. Then again, for most of my childhood without cable, the only AL games I ever saw were an October here or there. To me, it's still kind of exciting. It'll always feel like professional T-Ball to me. 

I love baseball more than any other sport, but it's not meant to be a thrill-a-minute. It's a long weird chess game, and taking the knight off every game because it's complicated to use doesn't make any sense to me, and it never will. 

I just kind of smile and nod at fans of the DH the way I do my political opposites. I don't think you make any sense at all, but more power to you.

Archived