Am I The Only One Around Here Who....

siyxx

12 hours ago, yomi said:

AITOOAH who thinks that Cersei is the one character who became less likeable when she got a POV?

My sentiments exactly  

@Lady Blizzardborn I am not sure when the RLJ thing clicked for me. But I think that I did have it figured out that Jon was not Ned's son. So no you are not alone. 

Am I the only one around here who found Arianne easier to read the second time around

Maybe. I only ever read everybody once. Except Daenerys in GoT. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't consider every third character a psychopath and gets a little annoyed when people go around saying this is a psychopath, that is a sociopath...? It's the Middle Ages, everybody is a scheming power hungry murderer, get over it. 

25 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Maybe. I only ever read everybody once. Except Daenerys in GoT. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't consider every third character a psychopath and gets a little annoyed when people go around saying this is a psychopath, that is a sociopath...? It's the Middle Ages, everybody is a scheming power hungry murderer, get over it. 

No. In fact, I generally get majorly annoyed when people overuse the term "psychopath" to mean "remorseless murderer" or "very, very bad person", even if the person in question clearly doesn't have the symptoms of psychopathy.

AITOOAH who already liked Jaime before he got a POV? Specifically, it was his scene with Cat in ACOK that made me like him. The "so many vows" speech is so good.

It is a good speech. But no, I don't think I much liked him at that point (others may have). It is a nice touch when he calls Cat back after she'd given up on him, though.

(In reference to an earlier point: I've never believed Rhaegar was a rhaepist, either. Robert had a motive or three to believe the worst of him, possibly including the desire to blacken the reputation of the most popular Targ of the time.)

Speaking of psychopathy, am I ... who can't get into the Jon vs. Dany fan feud, and in particular don't understand the visceral hatred Dany seems to inspire in many people?

No. In my opinion Jon and Dany are qiet similar - well, ok, that might actually be where the feud is coming from. But the Dany hatred... sure she makes mistakes, but she is a girl and there are way more experienced characters who do worse things and get less hatred for it. Cut her some slack, she's still learning.

Am I the only one who thinks that Davos represents everything that was laudable about Ned, but he is also more active and cleverer?

No, I agree. There's a strong parallel between Davos and Ned in terms of honor and being loyal to fault, but Davos is most definitely far less blind and stupid, just like you said. 

I also agree with the opinions  above about Rhaegar and the undue Daenerys hate. 

Am I the only one around here who kinda likes Tywin and Roose, as irrational as that is with them not being very nice people? 

Yeah. Roose in particular is kind of underrated. He does sort of try to be nice t Theoreek, and he gets lines like "*Inferior* boots". Of course, he's also a treacherous mass-murdering rapist; but hey.

Am I the ... who didn't loathe Talisa? mind you, I hadn't yet read the books. Still, my main objection to her is that Robb's character kind of suffers.

Don't think you're alone there. When I was watching, it was one of those things I felt was okay for TV, to spice up the love story of one of the main characters (Robb). Now, looking back, it was just another one in D&D's long list of ridiculous changes which had the expected butterfly effect of reducing Catelyn to a non-entity in her own storyline.

AITOOAH who completely hates the whole concept of Robert Strong and felt that Gregor should have stayed dead?

I a world where magic, though limited, exists, I am going to not get very mad about that occurrence. I believe there are many that think it is a Deus Ex Machina situation, but the story with Qyburn and him losing his chain and all that, I think that it is acceptable.

Am I the only one here who kind of felt for Daemon the singer who had to take the black because a lord caught Daemon with the lord's daughter and the daughter cried rape? But did not really have a problem with him meeting his demise in Braavos?

Probably not, but I don't think there will/can be a twist that makes it worthwhile. I mean what COULD that be? Not Cleganebowl, I hope. And I generally don't think that every single event of the books have a higher purpose, just like in the show, some things are just there for themselves or because the author so desired. 

Am I the only one around here who thinks Jaqen is seriously overrated?

If you mean that I liked the feisty tom-boy better than the emotionally-stunted girl who immediately resorts to violence rather than thinking through a situation, then yes. I liked her better in AGoT. And for those that say that Arya jumped to violence when Joff threatenend Mycha, I really don't think Joff would have been deterred by anything short of violence.

Soy yo solo who has a hard time keeping the free cities straight in their mind?

7 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

If you mean that I liked the feisty tom-boy better than the emotionally-stunted girl who immediately resorts to violence rather than thinking through a situation, then yes. I liked her better in AGoT. And for those that say that Arya jumped to violence when Joff threatenend Mycha, I really don't think Joff would have been deterred by anything short of violence.

Soy yo solo who has a hard time keeping the free cities straight in their mind?

Re: Arya, quite the opposite. Harrenhal made her learn to keep her mouth shut and be calculating and plan things... and only then resort to violence.

I had trouble keeping them straight in my mind until I've read all their entries in TWOIAF.

AITOOAH who found Arya's Harrenhal storyline in ACOK one of the best and most relatable character arcs in the series?

maybe...it did not bother me cause back then breeding was the top priority and wide hips = easy birth and big ta-tas = plenty of milk for the little nipple grubbers...

am i the only one around here who thinks the story has already peaked and the last 2 books will just be tying up loose ends...

:smoking:

I knooooooooooow, I know, I know, but I still hated so much when she did that. It was just so unkind and unwelcoming. 

And maybe you are. as much as I would like that to happen, I don't think we are quite at resolving conflicts. 

Am I the only one around here who liked Davos's wife a lot even though we never met her? 

Not completely. Her husband is my favourite character and he thinks well of her, and the sons of her we met seemed very decent people, too, so at least I'm guessing that she mst be a very likeable character and I wold like to meet her.

Am I the only one who felt a bit sad for Joff, when he died?

We did have a thread a while back proving that Joffrey is actually the unsung hero of the series. Some people thought it was a joke, though. [It was.] Still, choking to death on poison is probably pretty nasty. I don't think we're meant to cheer too much when the badguys get their comeuppance.

Am I ... who balks a bit at the thousands and thousands of years that certain institutions, like the Stark dynasty and the NW, are supposed to have lasted? In Tolkien you have immortal or incredibly long-lived mortals, so somehow it seems easier to believe. Although in practice I mostly ignore it.

It's pretty unbelievable, but I shrugged it off as legends.

Am I... who thinks that to mch re-reading doesn't do the series good, as one tends to finds more and more plot holes that could easily be ignored or not even realized during the first read?

Archived