Am I The Only One Around Here Who....

siyxx

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

I don't know, maybe no...? Are we talking about show or book Arya and Sansa? Because if we are talking about the show, I could at least say that I equally can't stand them. 

Am I the only one around here who often gets the feeling that many of the actors on game of thrones have zero understanding of their characters and give zero Fs about them? 

Book Arya and Sansa. Both are my top 5 or even top 3 characters.I don't care about the show or its characters, all of which are terribly written.

I'm sure you're not the only one, some if the actors have been very criticized for their statements. But there are plenty of indications that the real problem is that D and D give zero fs about the story and have been actively discouraging the actors from reading books (Iain Glen pretty much said that in an interview), if not mocking or pinishing those who talk about their character's bòok story (Barristan's actor).

Am I the only one who is baffled by the level of fandom's obsession with Ashara Dayne, a dead character who has had barely any appearances in the story and next to no characterization?

Probably not. Though I attribute it more to the lack of other things to talk about. There are those that feel that speculation about peripheral characters is really the only avenue of "original" discussion left. I think that also contributes to the amount of theories I see being pulled out of nowhere.

Am I ... who thinks this site may crash when we finally see TWoW?

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Book Arya and Sansa. Both are my top 5 or even top 3 characters.I don't care about the show or its characters, all of which are terribly written.

I'm sure you're not the only one, some if the actors have been very criticized for their statements. But there are plenty of indications that the real problem is that D and D give zero fs about the story and have been actively discouraging the actors from reading books (Iain Glen pretty much said that in an interview), if not mocking or pinishing those who talk about their character's bòok story (Barristan's actor).

I like book Arya, she has that child-like charm show Arya lost after season 2, and I have mixed feelings about book Sansa. 

Yeah, I think D&D are sick and tired of the story by now and just want to get over with it so they can move on with their lives. As for the actors and reading the book, I can see why it might be problematic to have the book in their head while they are supposed to deliver a different plotline and characterization on the show. Which would be perfectly okay, if the show put effort into either, which they don't. 

Noooo, no, no, no, not at all. I guess it differs from person to person where they draw the line between legit criticism and book purism, but there's season 6, you can hardly be book purist as there's no book 6 and I could fill books with all things that were wrong with it. And you can accuse me with a lot of things, but being a book purist is hardly one of them. 

Am I the only one around here who thinks there should have been only 7 seasons? 

Probably not. In theory, one might want more; but then, what happens when they start adding filler. Unfortunately, while some added stuff is good, a lot is rubbish. And the actual story seems to be approaching the final stretch. The drag being that the show is all we have, apart from rereads. Just finish the bleeding books already.

Am I ... who doesn't care for "Planetos"? I find it very jarring. It is, after all, meant to be a mediaeval-ish world, and while the Middle Ages were nowhere near as scientifically ignorant as commonly believed (the notion that the Church insisted the earth is flat is a lie, apparently invented in the 19th century), they still believed in a geocentric universe. Even after earth was known to be a planet, I don't think people commonly referred to it as "our planet" or "the planet" until quite recently; it has a post-'60s feel.  So I still hold out for Earthos. Weird, I know.

@Annara Snow the thing about Ashara is that her body was never found. In real life that's a tragedy. In fiction, it's almost always a plant. The fascination has to do with thinking there's a chance she's still living, or at least did not die when and how everyone was told. GRRM has subtly built up the Daynes as important while withholding any information that spells out why. The oldest house in Westeros, prior to the First Men even maybe. Awesome magic sword with awesome titles: Sword of the Evening/Sword of the Morning. Former kings in Dorne. Ser Arthur. Ashara. Allyria. Edric. Wylla the nurse. The fact that we don't have their words when we've got the words (semi-canon at least) of much less mentioned houses. Definitely something up with that.

@RhaenysB you're not alone in that. But actually being able to sew clothing, and do so well, was a standard accomplishment for noble young ladies in the middle ages. It was common in some places for the lady of the castle to sew her family's clothes herself if she had time. Even as late as the 16th century, the Queen of England was sewing her husband's shirts (point of contention between KoA and AB).

AITOOAHW really thinks Donald Duck could totally play GM Pycelle in the animated version?

Somehow when I read that the name that jumped into my head was Ludwig von Drake. Anyway, probably yes.:-) Although now I want the ... well, not whole, but sort of complete-ish animated cast. Bother. I guess Ned is Mickey? 

Am I the only one who, when reading tthe show rating poll thread, wished there were a separate thread for adolescent pseudo-debate "Umm, you do realize that blah blah blah blah don't you?" "whoever votes X is  a troll" "lawlz" posts? So everyone else could get on voting and maybe having intelligent conversation?

Having not been there, I couldn't say for certain, but you are probably not alone in that.  Also, I'd be happy to send you what I have for the cartoon casting. :D

AITOOAHW wonders why we never hear about Westerosi dentistry? I mean, does Theon in AGoT naturally have perfect teeth, or does he know a guy?

The problem is that neither GRRM nor the show has done an awful lot with it, although the revelation (am I the only one who doesn't use "reveal" as a noun"?) about the role of the COTF is certainly intriguing.

Tjhat didn't count as my query. Am I the only one who, while here, spends nine tenths at least of his time in the Games forum? The trouble is: 1. the serious fora take too long to read, with each post a mini-essay, often an excellent one, but who has the time? 2. I like being weird, and Games is the place for that.

Yes. If I had that kind of determination, I would rather learn an actual langauge. And if I were some kind of language genius and were already able to speak French and Russian and Spanish and I had the mind to learn a fictional langauge, I would still opt for Dothraki. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't own the asoiaf cook book and is quite gutted about the fact? 

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Maybe? As far as I'm concerned, the Thenns are the only representation of cannibalism. I don't yet see why I should buy the Jojen pie and Frey pie theories. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't want every stark kid to be a warg? 

Thenns are not cannibals. You're mixing up the book and show canon. The Skagosi are supposesly cannibals.

I don't subsribe to Jojen paste, but Frey pies are definitely true. Very Titus Andronicus (and the Rat Cook legend). Also, the Mountain mutilated Vargo Hoat and made him eat parts of himself, and Tyrion told Bronn to throw Symon's body into a bowl of brown.

Yes, you probably are the only one. All the Stark kids are wargs, it's thematically important, and GRRM has confirmed it.

AITOOAH who liked ACOK better than AGOT?

Probably not. I don't rank them or pick favorites, but I know others like to discuss the merits or lack thereof of each book in the series.

AITOOAHW doesn't have the app but, based on reliable reports from others who do, has no trouble using info from the app to correct things like the idea that Jojen is dead?

Archived