NFL 2016 Week 3/4: The Darkness Peers Back

Jace, Extat

14 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Indeed. Compared to the AFC North, which is arguably the best division in the league.

Based on three of the teams, it would be... except that the fourth team is the Cleveland Browns. :)

That said, the Colts do indeed play in a weaker division. However, when Luck is healthy, they pretty consistently finish at 11-5 which would be enough to qualify them as a wildcard independently of the division. They're not a playoff team that gets in despite being 7-9 and the main impact of their division is mainly a slightly easier schedule.

38 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Based on three of the teams, it would be... except that the fourth team is the Cleveland Browns. :)

That said, the Colts do indeed play in a weaker division. However, when Luck is healthy, they pretty consistently finish at 11-5 which would be enough to qualify them as a wildcard independently of the division. They're not a playoff team that gets in despite being 7-9 and the main impact of their division is mainly a slightly easier schedule.

It's not just a weaker division.  It's been an absolutely awful division for years now.  Jacksonville and Tennessee have been terrible almost as long as the Browns have, and Houston fell off several years ago when Matt Schaub remembered he wasn't good at football and hasn't regained form since.

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Because I love abusing old jokes. 

The Saints are now 0-3. Whenever I die, I really hope they show up at my funeral to lower my coffin. Because it would be great if they could let me down one last time. 

Look on the bright side.  If they keep up the pace, they'll be able to make this man the highest drafted Aggie ever. 

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/2015/07/28/garrett-mid-thamel.jpg

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Because I love abusing old jokes. 

The Saints are now 0-3. Whenever I die, I really hope they show up at my funeral to lower my coffin. Because it would be great if they could let me down one last time. 

I don't have a lot of sympathy for fans of teams that have won a Super Bowl in the past decade.  The only thing that makes watching the Browns somewhat palatable (aside from the fact that I do really like Jackson and think he's the best coach they've hired since returning to the league) is the fact that the Cavs just won a title, which means the Browns get a pass for a couple of years.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for fans of teams that have won a Super Bowl in the past decade.  The only thing that makes watching the Browns somewhat palatable (aside from the fact that I do really like Jackson and think he's the best coach they've hired since returning to the league) is the fact that the Cavs just won a title, which means the Browns get a pass for a couple of years.

This is exactly what my friend from Cleveland says too. He just gets on YouTube now after browns games and watches the end of game 7. 

8 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

This is exactly what my friend from Cleveland says too. He just gets on YouTube now after browns games and watches the end of game 7. 

Honestly, I'm just happy that a few weeks into the Browns season it looks like we're on pace for the number one pick and several of our rookies have looked really good.  That's the kind of progress you want to see from the first year of a new front office and coaching staff, and it's something we largely haven't seen with any other front office or coaching staff in years.  I also applaud them for having the balls to say fuck it and tear everything down and ship out anyone who wasn't giving full effort, even guys like Justin Gilbert and Barkevious Mingo who were first round picks just a few years ago.  The only way you're going to finally change the shitty, losing culture is by getting rid of the guys who have been infected by it and starting over.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Hue is definitely the best coach you guys have had in a long, long time.

I will never forgive Mike Brown for letting both Mike Zimmer, and Hue Jackson get away. And meanwhile we're stuck with Giggles McClappington and his 0-7 playoffs record. FML. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Giggles McClappington! Love it. Board suggestion: From here on out, we refer to Marvin Lewis as Giggles McClappinton.

Seconded. And anyways, a guy with two first names is not to be trusted...

22 hours ago, briantw said:

It's not just a weaker division.  It's been an absolutely awful division for years now.  Jacksonville and Tennessee have been terrible almost as long as the Browns have, and Houston fell off several years ago when Matt Schaub remembered he wasn't good at football and hasn't regained form since.

I was curious about this so I took a look at it (using nfldata). I wanted to look at the regular seasons of the last 10 years, but they only go back to 2009 and I was too lazy to track down the rest so this is just the 7 seasons from 2009 to 2015. The bottom line is that you are absolutely right on both counts: you can make a case for the AFC North being the best division in the NFL and the AFC South being the worst. Looking at the total number of games won:

AFC East  Wins:    [32, 36, 33, 31, 34, 33, 36]     Total:  235.0     Wins per year per team:  8.39
AFC North Wins:  [33, 33, 37, 33, 31, 38.5, 30]     Total:  235.5     Wins per year per team:  8.41
AFC South Wins:    [38, 30, 26, 31, 24, 25, 25]     Total:  199.0     Wins per year per team:  7.11
AFC West  Wins:    [30, 31, 31, 26, 37, 33, 34]     Total:  222.0     Wins per year per team:  7.93

NFC East  Wins:    [34, 32, 30, 31, 28, 32, 26]     Total:  213.0     Wins per year per team:  7.61
NFC North Wins:  [32, 33, 36, 35, 29.0, 35, 34]     Total:  234.0     Wins per year per team:  8.36
NFC South Wins:  [33, 36, 33, 34, 31, 22.5, 36]     Total:  225.5     Wins per year per team:  8.05
NFC West  Wins:  [24, 25, 30, 35.0, 42, 37, 35]     Total:  228.0     Wins per year per team:  8.14

AFC North edges out AFC East by literally the smallest possible margin and NFC North by only a bit more. Such tiny differences are not statistically significant. However, AFC East is buoyed by Darth Hoodie (over these 7 seasons New England won an average of 12.13 games per season which is more than one game ahead of the next best team) and NFC North by Green Bay (which is the next best team with 11.07 games and itself more than one game ahead of the several teams that follow it). Thus, the AFC North, with its three closely spaced teams (Pittsburgh at 10.00, Cincinnati at 9.50 and Baltimore at 9.43), is worthy of being called the best despite Cleveland (which really is the worst team in the league at 4.71).

AFC South is the worst and it is not close. That said, Indianapolis is a pretty respectable team (averaging 9.57 despite the ridiculous 2-14 season in 2011).

It boggles my mind how stupid Roger Goodell and the NFL folks think everyone else in the world is.  They're trying to grow the game in the U.K., so they send them the shit sandwich that is the Jacksonville Jaguars. It's like no one in the entire organization has taken a first year marketing course in their life.

The popular theory is that the owner bought the team specifically to move them there.

Meanwhile, 5 drops and I need to find out how much of Costanzo's remaining salary is guaranteed because he fucking sucks.

Archived