NBA 2016-2017 LeBron vs Durant ( and his little helpers)

Calibandar

50 minutes ago, briantw said:

No.  I think he's a great talent who ended up on one of the worst-run franchises in the history of the NBA.  He's a bit of a headcase, to be sure, but playing for the worst franchise in the league over the past decade does him no favors.

Do you really think he's a only a "bit" of a headcase? The man is a huge baby, and has some severe anger issues. I almost wonder if he's sniffing adderall before games, based on the unmistakable anger in his behavior while playing, and after games. Maybe a better organization would have gotten Cousins the therapy that he needs, but as a grown ass man he has to take some responsibility for his atrocious behavior.

Shit like this is just...unacceptable -

Behavior like this is horrible for his team, and his erratic fits of anger on the court make him unpredictable, and unreliable. Which makes him a bad team mate, and a absolutely terrible leader. He has Hall of Fame talent, which is a shame that he hasn't been able to get his shit together.

edit - examle of a late game melt down by Cousins. Just can;t count on him. 

I think your assessment of him is absolutely right.

At the same time I very badly want him to be traded to an actual team on which he has a chance.

To be the only great player on a team for year after year while you keep on losing, that is going to have a negative effect.

It's wearing down a good guy like Anthony Davis at the Pelicans already, it'll be worse for Cousins.

But obviously he's a headcase with serious issues.

I think the thing about Cousins is that his game is built around bullying people. And I don't just mean that in the way that he is bigger and stronger than everyone else (although most of the time he is), but in that he has that mentality of really using all that power to dominate his opponents both physically and mentally. I don't think he's quite as overt about it as Draymond Green, but you can see him on the court yapping and demonstrating, and it really does seem to give him an edge. Looking at the fallout from that game against the Blazers, two things stood out to me:

- In Cousins' interview after the game (before his mic cuts out), he talks about cutting the Blazers' centre down to size (I assume he was talking about Plumlee? It wasn't clear). It's that domination psychology - he thrives on letting others know that he's better than them.

- Meyers Leonard's interview quote about 'antics' is essentially him complaining about this aspect of Boogie's game. It's about the psychological stress that Cousins, bully of the court, applies to his opponents.

But hey, being a bully gets you results on a basketball court. This is the sort of game that really rewards size, strength, and the willingness to use them to your advantage, all of which Cousins has in spades. Take him off the basketball court - is he still a bully? I have no idea, but it definitely bleeds into the lens through which we are shown him, since most of the coverage is basketball related.

In some ways, I feel like Cousins could end up turning into a similar figure to Kevin Garnett. Garnett also fit the 'bully' archetype with the way that he spent a lot of time insulting opponents on the court, but there was no arguing with his results. Both of them were mired in dysfunction the early part of their career (although Garnett at least was able to put together one good playoff run). Maybe if you put Cousins in an environment where he is not the alpha dog he will be able to harness his energies properly.

ST

3 minutes ago, Sir Thursday said:

In some ways, I feel like Cousins could end up turning into a similar figure to Kevin Garnett. Garnett also fit the 'bully' archetype with the way that he spent a lot of time insulting opponents on the court, but there was no arguing with his results. Both of them were mired in dysfunction the early part of their career (although Garnett at least was able to put together one good playoff run). Maybe if you put Cousins in an environment where he is not the alpha dog he will be able to harness his energies properly.

Rasheed Wallace is a better comparison point than Garnett. 

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rasheed Wallace is a better comparison point than Garnett. 

Fair point. They both have that persecution complex streak to them and a propensity for picking up technicals. I find I have less knowledge about Sheed because I only really caught the tail-end of the Pistons' heyday. Was it similar to what's happening with Boogie now when Sheed was in Portland?

ST

22 hours ago, Relic said:

Do you really think he's a only a "bit" of a headcase? The man is a huge baby, and has some severe anger issues. I almost wonder if he's sniffing adderall before games, based on the unmistakable anger in his behavior while playing, and after games. Maybe a better organization would have gotten Cousins the therapy that he needs, but as a grown ass man he has to take some responsibility for his atrocious behavior.

A lot of former problem players have been fixed simply by moving to a winning team.  Cousins has spent his entire career on the worst franchise in the NBA.  He's never seen the playoffs.  His team has blown draft pick after draft pick after draft pick on guys that never amount to anything.  They fired the one coach he actually got along with and seemed to respect.  

His situation would wear a lot of guys down, and he wasn't the most stable guy to begin with.  I'd wager that, if he ended up on a winning team, his attitude would change.  Look at JR Smith.  He was an active cancer to the Knicks a few years ago, but was instantly turned into a key contributor on a championship team.  Winning solves a lot of problems.  

I think the problem with Boogie is that he's "crazy unpredictable guy" and also the most basketball talent.

Every team needs at least one crazy guy, but it's generally not a good idea for crazy guy to also be your most talented. It's like hockey, u don't want Wayne Gretzky out there enforcing and picking fights, you need a different guy to do that.

In fairness, the refs screwed the Warriors over on the last play, on replay it is a clear trip by RJ. I was rooting for the Cavs, but the refs clearly helped them there.

Kyrie could well be the best crunch scorer in big games in the league. He loves the big moments. He couldn't hit a jumpshot until midway through the 4th but had a sensational last 8 minutes. And he was excellent on D too, he made 7 steals, some of them huge late in the game.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

In fairness, the refs screwed the Warriors over on the last play, on replay it is a clear trip by RJ. I was rooting for the Cavs, but the refs clearly helped them there.

Agree. RJ's contact definitely caused Durant to lose his balance. Don't know how there wasn't a foul there. Bulls lose again, shocker.

It may have to do with Stephen Curry being a pale shadow of his last season self.

Seen a couple of GS games this year and he looks quite overshadowed by Durant, and just seems notably less... proficient himself.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It may have to do with Stephen Curry being a pale shadow of his last season self.

Seen a couple of GS games this year and he looks quite overshadowed by Durant, and just seems notably less... proficient himself.

He's had a couple of cold streaks for sure, but I think "a pale shadow of his last season self" is a bit much. That said I think your second point is valid. There is such a thing as having too many offensive options methinks.  

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's had a couple of cold streaks for sure, but I think "a pale shadow of his last season self" is a bit much. That said I think your second point is valid. There is such a thing as having too many offensive options methinks.  

That....and Kyrie is a cold blooded killer. And, the Cavs are not afraid the GSW. Down 14 is nothing, they just keep playing their game. Another, good perormance from Love. He's turned a corner and Cleveland finally has the Big 3 they was hoping to have. Rubber match for the finals.

15 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

That....and Kyrie is a cold blooded killer. And, the Cavs are not afraid the GSW. Down 14 is nothing, they just keep playing their game. Another, good perormance from Love. He's turned a corner and Cleveland finally has the Big 3 they was hoping to have. Rubber match for the finals.

They play again in Oakland on Jan 16th, so this wasn't really a rubber match.

/and yeah, to give credit where credit is due, Kyrie killed them in the 4th quarter. These are arguably the two best teams in the NBA, no doubt and the Cavs just came out and straight up beat them in the 4th quarter.

I don't see anyone stopping them in the West.

With Griffin's injury, the Clippers look like they could go down to a 4th seed position, Spurs will be 2nd seed.

By playoffs time, Griffin will be back in the team for quite a while and it could be a good clash with GSW, but there is also a chance they avoid them if they finish 3rd ( and thus play San Antonio in the semi finals).

I could see tough series for GS against either of these two but I think ultimately they are just a better team than LA, and the Spurs, while extremely well sorted, I don't know, I don't see them beat Golden State with Durant 4 times.

Archived