Am I The Only One Around Here Who V.2

siyxx

@Lady of Whisperers Tyrion is a favourite here too, but observe the margin of his win - the Reddit poll puts him almost 10 percentage points over the second one on the list, while it's much closer here at Westeros. That's generally how it is outside of here - Tyrion is an overwhelming favourite.

You're right though that the format of Reddit does not generally lend itself to discussion the way it does here. Plus Westeros.org people also take the books very seriously in terms of analysis ;) That said, I don't know of any book-only communities outside of r/Asoiaf and here where we could test the Tyrion hypothesis. r/PureAsoiaf doesn't seem to have done an official poll.

@Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer That depends if the festivals are going to be religion based or region based. With their seasons though, I'd expect there could be some spring festival after the multi-year winter ended, celebrating the coming of someone like Garth Greenhand or a god of Summer. I would assume that spring after years of winter *shudder* would call for some celebration.

If it's region based, I could see the Starks celebrating Bran the Builder, Lannisters celebrating Lann the Clever, etc.

16 minutes ago, Count Balerion said:

Now that you mention it, it is odd that nothing much is said about holidays. I suppose each of the 7 might have a holiday dedicated to Him/Her, butr have no idea what the North celebrates. Stark Day?

Am I ... would buy a book entitled DOLOROUS EDD'S INSPIRATIONAL SAYINGS?

There'll be plenty of people who would, I'm sure.

AITOOAH who wonders what a cyvasse board and it's pieces would look like, and what the rules of play are? 

That's not only been wondered, there are people who have developed a printable board and pieces and rules for the game. I'd rather have a real version, approved by the author, but I'm sure the price would be more golden dragons than I can afford anyway. ;)

AITOOAHW wonders what the result would be if Littlefinger and Varys played a game of cyvasse?

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

AITOOAHW wonders what the result would be if Littlefinger and Varys played a game of cyvasse?

No, you're not I would like to see that game and also one between Olenna and Tyrion.

@RhaenysB I now, have a picture of the NW members with Santa Claus Hats and signing cristmas songs together in my head and one of Jon trying to find a christmas carrol for Ser Alliser Thorne. These pictures won't go away :D

Am I the only one around here who really likes the book version of the Sand Snakes? I know, they are cartoonish, I know they aren't particulary good people, but somehow I still like them. 

No, I really liked book Tyene and book Nym. The show version of them is horrible. 

@Lady of Whisperers and isn't it fantastic? Don't we all want to see Ser Alliser growling at the carolers or Sam and Gilly sharing a super awkward kiss under the mistletoe?  Or see Varys filling stockings for his little birds and Tyrion suggesting to put Jaime's golden hand on the top of the Christmas tree in the Christmas in KL episode? I know I do. 

Am I the only one around here who misses both Joff and Ramsay because they were great characters with great actors portraying them? 

Just so you know, the current Bumping for Benjen thread is now discussing Westerosi Christmas songs. I've got three verses done for Seven Hells (the Westerosi version of Jingle Bells).

No, you're not alone in that at all. Joff and Ramsay were very entertaining. But they had to make room for Night's King and the Others.

Speaking of which, AITOOAHW thinks "Night's King and the Others" sounds like a metal band?

"Night's King and the Others" reminds me of older rock 'n roll bands. But with Night's King thrown in there, maybe a really early metal band.

Am I the only one around here who wonders how Moqorro survived at sea for days with no fresh water? Does everyone just attribute it to his being a red preist and not needing sustenance like a normal person?

I wonder. Melisandre didn't need to eat; is that because she's a red priestess or b/c she's from Asshai? But I confess I hadn't thought of Moqorro before.

Am I ... who never would have thought of half these questions by himself? Well, I suppose obviously not, given the title of the thread. So: Am I ... who, reading upthread, first thought Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer must be a warg, and 2ndly that he must be a secret Targaryen?

Yes, Rudolph is obviously a Baratheon, but you are right about his having a secret double life. Santa often used Rudolph to spy on Stannis, who in turn burned Rudolph at the stake and put him on his banner as a warning to all who would consider double crossing him. 

Am I the only one around here who thinks Stannis is ridiculously overrated by Asoiaf fandom and doesn't like him as a person at all? 

5 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Am I the only one around here who thinks Stannis is ridiculously overrated by Asoiaf fandom and doesn't like him as a person at all? 

Depends. I think he's not kind as a person but he is fascinating as a character. A bit like Cersei, I love her character but despise her personality.

That said, I still think Stannis should defeat Ramsay because he has, at least, honoured his calling as "King" and is defending the realm.

Am I the only one around here who thinks it is utterly stupid that the North did not have war fleets, given their huge coastline, the difficulty in trading through the Neck and frequent raiding from the Iron Islands?

I hadn't thought of it; but it is rather stupid now that you mention it. You would expect Bear Island or some of the coastal great families to be able to provide ships. The Manderlys, at any rate, do have ships. But then, lots of things in Earthos (or Middle-earth, or Narnia) don't make much sense if one thinks about them. I guess the North is meant to be a bit of a backwater; but still.

Am I ... who thinks the Faith of the Seven makes a fair amount of sense, and could easily see believing in it if I lived in that world? Although there does seem to be more evidence for R'hllor.

AGREED! This was so stupid!

Am I the only one around here who enjoys dipping into The World of Ice and Fire to reread key passages for fun, like Aegon's conquest?

I never made it through the first time. But then its meant to be a "non-fiction" in-universe book. Can only read a textbook for so long. But going back and brushing up on a section or two does help me have a greater appreciation for the story. I particularly was bogged down reading through the history of the various kingdoms. The Reach was particularly tedious.

AITOOAHW does not need literary proof to believe that something happened? Like the other day, I could not find any evidence of why Jeor Mormont took the Black and left the lordship of Bear Island to Jorah. So I had it in my mind that Jeor abdicated so that Jorah could have the chance to rule while he was still young. But others were asking for "proof".

No, you're not. Evidence: some of the crazy theories on here, including mine. ;) But there is something about Jeor taking the black so Jorah could be Lord Mormont after he wed Lynesse. Not sure if it's in the books or an SSM, but there is factual back-up for it. There's actually website where you can search the texts...A Search of Ice and Fire. You can choose specific books, limit POV and all kinds of fun stuff. Since I don't have the eBooks, I've found that site very helpful.

AITOOAHW is having trouble coming up with questions for this thread lately?

No, you're not that's one of the reasons why I haven't posted in it for a few days. Maybe We could really start to make the questions about something other than ASOIAF, perhaps that would make things easier. Just a suggestion...

Am I the only one around here who would really like to learn more about the far east? Places like YiTi, the Plains of the Jogos Nhai and of course the Shadow Lands and Asshai really interest me. 

I'd love that, especially if it's described during the peak of the Valyrian Empire. I'm curious as to why they never conquered eastwards. Or, if they tried, if the magics of Asshai and similar kept dragons at bay.

Am I the only one around here who pictures characters completely incorrectly, despite evidence to the contrary? So in my head Robb has brown hair, not red (even before I saw the show), Walder Frey has a combover, and Dany looks way older than 13 in my head, and Varys and Petyr kind of looks physically impossible in my head. It's as if they're cartoon caricatures, but in real life.

No, I do this a lot, not only with Asoiaf, but any fiction I read. For example in my mind the Ministry of Magic has a marble floor. I was outraged when it had wooden floor in the movies, but I was told it's the same in the books. I went back and checked the books and the Ministry of Magic does indeed have wooden floor. I don't know why my mind stuck with marble. And Elrond's twin sons are 100% blond in my mind too, even though they have dark hair in Tolkien's. 

Am I the only one around here who would prefer Asoiaf to be a lot shorter and cover only a tenth of the existing storylines ? 

Not at all; there's quite a bit of fat in my opinion as well.

I've been having trouble thinking of questions for a while now.

And I see Daenerys as in her 20s. Granted, this is largely b/c I see EC (I don't know her actual age; but it certainly isn't 13). But it's also b/c it would be harder to read if I saw her as 13.

Am I ... who finds some of the characters a bit too young? Granted it's supposed to be pseudo-mediaeval. Still, eew.

No, you're not. I also find some characters too young as well, espcially when talk about thinks like women marrying so young or Dany having a child with 13 eew. IIRC GRRM himself has said that he wished he made the characters a bit older and he was totally okay with the show doing so.

And yeah I also picture some characters differently than they are described, but I do that with nearly every novel.

Am I the only one around here who loves ADWD nearly as much as ASOS? 

Archived