Am I The Only One Around Here Who V.2

siyxx

I a certain you are not alone. I like ADwD, but not to the extent I like ASoS. I am glad though that you are here to tell people why they are wrong for hating Dany in Mereen, or Jon as LC, or Tyrion's travel log (definitely helped world building).

Am I the only one around here who had a really hard time making it through ACoK the first time? The change in tone from AGoT, the introduction of new characters, the Starks in really depressing situations, etc.

On 22.11.2016 at 3:52 PM, Joy Hill said:

Am I the only one around here who would love an ASOIAF theme park?

Now that I think about it, yeah that would be nice.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't like Sandor? I don't hate him I just don't like him that much in the books. In the show Rory McCanns acting made me a bit more sympathetic towards him, but I still don't really like him and I don't always understand the hype about the character.

I don't think you're the only one, but I've always liked Sandor in spite of himself. Almost like I know he doesn't want anyone to like him, so I'm determined to like him just to be annoying. :D  Then again I find him to be a way more complex character than he would want people to know. Even without him having a POV it's pretty obvious he acts the way he does because of deep pain and trauma, but there's still some level of decency left, which is the part of him that admires Sansa even as he pretends to despise her. I don't hype him though. I think the good brother/bad brother thing plays in a lot. People REALLY want to see Sandor kick unGregor's butt.

As to the ages of characters...there was supposed to be a five year gap that allowed for the younger characters growing up a great deal, but by the time GRRM figured out the gap wouldn't work, it was too late to change the ages. However, it's still very accurate historically. Girls were often married very young, and girls from powerful families were little more than political pawns.

AITOOAHW wants more info about the Great Empire of the Dawn? The existing and recently doomed cultures are really cool and all, but I'm very curious about the one that predates them all. For instance, did it even exist or is it all myth?

4 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

AITOOAHW wants more info about the Great Empire of the Dawn? The existing and recently doomed cultures are really cool and all, but I'm very curious about the one that predates them all. For instance, did it even exist or is it all myth?

No no no, you're not. I want to know this so much. 

Regarding Sandor: I agree that he's complex, something about him just rubbs me the wrong way. I'm not sure what it is, because I normally like grey characters.

Am I the only one around here who isn't annoyed by GRRM's long descriptions of food? I actually love them, especially the ones about Dornish food, because it sounds quite tasty. 

Yes? Why would they be terrible parents to anyone? They were among the most decent parents. I mean I don't particularly like catelyn and Ned, but they were undeniably decent parents, imo. 

Am I the only one around here who can't actually decide who is/was the most outstanding parent in Asoiaf? 

Not in the least. I'd have no notion, other than that it wasn't Tywin or Lord Tarly, and probably not Aerys either.

Am I .. who didn't really notice the long descriptions of food, etc. I think I must have blanked it out. Msaybe a bit during Joffo's "name day", but I was really only paying attention to the conversation. "I hope they play "Rains of Castamere" again. It's been a whole hour, and I've forgotten how it goes."

I do that, depending on how hungry I am.

Am I the only one around here who finds it annoying to be at the very start or very end of the books because they're so thick that it's hard to hold the thick bunch of pages one handed?

Definitely not, the days of dealing with a sore and cramped hand from reading these books have been quite numerable for this guy.

AITOOIAH who has had to purchase three copies of the ASOIAF series? One copy to replace my first books as they were completely worn out and falling apart. As well as copies in hard cover, that I haven't breathed on, let alone read, or even opened.

3 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Not necessarily for Christmas, but I would love to make honeyed chicken once *.* 

am I the only one around here whose consumerist heart would love to see GoT collections of popular brands? Where's the OPI and Mac GoT collection?

Now you've got me thinking...Hear Me Roar (bright red), A Lannister Always (gold), Direwolf (gray/silver), Winter Is (white), Growing Strong (green), Ours is the Fury (black with gold), Blood (dark red bordering on black), Fire (red red), Night Fire (reddish orange), Unbowed, Unbent, Unchipped (Martell orange), The Wall (icy blue), Eyrie (sky blue), Valyrian Eyes (violet), Sapphire I'll (brilliant blue), Dragonfire (yellow-orange), Lady Sansa (soft pink), Arya Ready (dark blue), Queen Margaery (jade), and of course Targaryen Barbie (bright pink).

Sure I missed a few, but it's a good starting point at least.

Am I the only one who would like to see GoT collections of fabrics? A Mother of Dragons quilt or Lannister Pride gown could be seriously awesome!

Ooooh, agreed! I also wish they'd release a costume shop where you can buy stuff from the shows. Margaery's stuff in particular (not from the early seasons where she wears rolled up carpet, but the later stuff).

Am I the only one around here who, when rereading, stops once you arrive at a really sad moment like the Red Wedding and procrastinates reading that bit?

No, you're not I've done the same thing, especially with the RW, but also with some other events (Ned's execution, Jon's last chapter in ADWD, Ramsay raping Jeyne, etc.). However, in the end I always read these scenes. I've a re-read of the full series coming up soon. Waiting until I can start is acutally really hard, because I love the books so much, but I already dread the moment when I'll reach these sad moments. 

Am I the only one around here who did her first read of the series very fast, because I just wanted to know what's gonna happen and didn't care that much about the details at that point? I think I missed so much stuff, because I was reading so fast. I took a lot of time on my re-read and really learned to appreciate and love the details. Re-reading the books slowly, allowed me to view the books in a totally different light. 

Judging from the lack of activity the last few days, you may be alone in this thread. But there is almost certainly others who did the same. But that may be me misunderstanding your meaning. Perhaps you mean that you read through the books reading the words but did not stop to dissect the passages. Or maybe you meant that you skimmed the pages, getting the gist of the plot and nothing else. If the former, then I am in there with you and you are almost certainly in the majority. If the latter, I guess that is one way to read a book.

Am I the only one around here who checks the acrophobia thread almost daily, seeing who is voting for their own entries?

Yes? No? Maybe? I don't think I ever opened the acrophobia thread. 

Am i I the only one around here who wants all the women's dresses from season 3 on? (Add Daenerys dresses from season 1-2 and deduct Talisa/Gilly/Lysa/Arya dresses from the rest of the seasons)

No, you're not I was thrilled about this as well. Especially, since we didn't have one last year, so I actually wanted to write one for this year's NaNo, but I was really busy and then I forgot about it. So, I'm really glad someone else did it. However, I didn't do it, because I was using NaNo for the revision of parts of my novel this year.  I can also recommend you the Harry Potter crawls, they are really good for boosting your wordcount.

@Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer : I should have expressed myself more clearly, I ment the former thing. I don't do the latter thing.

Am I the only around here who was dissapointed when Nicolai Coster Waldau didn't get nominated for an Emmy award in 2013 (after season 3)?

Probably not. It didn't occur to me; but I don't really follow the awards.

Acrophobia: tried reading introductory post to one to see what it was about, ran out of time, moved on.

In a hurry, so I'll be quick Am I ... is mildly annoyed that "Aegon the Dragon" almost rhymes, but doesn't quite?

Archived