NFL 2016 Week 7: Nobody's Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

42 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I hate this game.

Of course our teams tie in the most brutal way possible. I would expect nothing less. How fitting is it for our two franchises to have 1,000 combined yards of offense and yet neither team is able to score in OT?

All that said, it was a great game. A lot of wild swings minute to minute in terms of who was poised to win the game. And yet the answer turned out to be no-one. 

Bet it was cool to watch at Wembley. 

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I could kill that spineless fuck Caldwell.

That's the problem with how well Stafford has been playing, he has made up for the egregious coaching issues that Caldwell has.  Even if you think they may not overturn the catch/fumble play, you still have to throw that challenge.

I hate rooting for my team to lose, but damn, they need to fire Caldwell and the only way they will is if they lose a lot of games.

4 minutes ago, Fiddler said:

That's the problem with how well Stafford has been playing, he has made up for the egregious coaching issues that Caldwell has.  Even if you think they may not overturn the catch/fumble play, you still have to throw that challenge.

I hate rooting for my team to lose, but damn, they need to fire Caldwell and the only way they will is if they lose a lot of games.

That play made me sick, that gets overturned on replay.

Meanwhile, the Colts might be the most talent-poor team in the league outside of San Francisco. Absolutely dreadful and chickenshit coaching by Pagano is starting to aggravate me.

I've always liked Sunday Night Football. Al is great, Chris is better, and Tirico should be a fantastic play-by-play man in a year or two.

I was sure, absolutely sure, that they'd never defiled it, but it turns out that they have in fact been featured. The Cleveland Browns have appeared (as other than a statistic) in the prestigious slot exactly once since its inception in 2006.

On September 14, 2008, the Cleveland Browns lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers to the appropriate score of 10-6.

Even this great sin is forgivable, though, as the Browns improbably had gone 10-6 the year before only to miss the playoffs due to unfavorable tiebreakers with... the Jaguars and Titans.

Thank you, Sunday Night Football. You have not been perfect programming, as it is nigh-impossible to forecast 17 matchups between competitive teams before the summer, but you have kept the worst from soiling America with their presence. And is that not the most a fan could ask for?

So, I didn’t do a write-up of last week’s games because, well, the Pats beat the Steelers without Ben Rothlesberger.  This is a kin to defeating the Nazi’s without Hitler or defeating the Germans without Hitler or beating Castle Wolfenstein without Hitler.

Then again, it got me to think… just how lucky are the Pats?  I mean besides having Rodger Goodel needlessly give our starting QB a 4-week vacation and STILL staying 3-1 after 4 and 7-1 overall headed into the bye?  In week 2, the Pats played Miami only to have Miami lose their starting RB in the 1st quarter and go without their best O-lineman.  IN week 3, the Pats played the Texans and JJ Watt was obviously injured and would, in fact, be on IR within 2 weeks.  In week 5, Cleveland had already been through 2 QBs when Kessler was injured and Whitehust wasn’t.  Week 6, The Bengals’ best offensive weapon outside of AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, was out; last week, along with Rothlesberger, Deangelo Williams and Markus Wheaton were out.  This week, EASILY the Bills’ best player, LeSean McCoy, was OUT. 

What does this mean?  What this means is that if you are a Seattle Seahawks fan, don’t be stunned when Richard Sherman comes down with an extreme case of leprosy. 

As far as the game went, it was pretty ugly; Rex Ryan coached a terrible game; the Pats were just better; the Bills don’t have any playmakers outside of McCoy and Tom Brady is now a minor deity who we should all worship.  Ho-hum, Brady was 22/33 for 315 yards, 4 TDs 0 Ints for a passer rating of 137; his stats this season are absurd- 98 134 (~73%) 1317 yards 12 TDs, 0 picks.  He was 5 for his first 5 3rd downs; on 1st and 2nd down on the season, Brady has a passer rating of 130 and 118 respectively… Brady’s passer rating on 3rd down is 149.8. 

Right now the Pats are 7-1, best record in the NFL, going into the bye (Bye-Week is already down 3 starters so …); they are now three games up on the Bills in the East and for the Conf they have a 2 game lead on the Steelers with a head-to-head in hand and one game up on Oakland and Broncos (and the Broncos and Oakland play each other twice so, at least one of those teams is going to get some losses).  The Pats play Denver in week 15.  THERE IS NO WAY Denver is remaining undefeated until then.  Meanwhile, the Pats have a test in two weeks against Seattle (I… I think).  After that?  49’ers, Jets (x2), Rams and Ravens.  In fact if you remove the Broncos from this equation, the Pats remaining opponents after Seattle have a record of … 16-28.  Yuk…

The Pats have to play better, but mostly because they have yet to be seriously tested.  No team has pushed them to the limit and that always happens in the playoffs.  I really hope Seattle does something like that before the Pats play the Sisters of the Poor for all but one week after that. 

A few other things:

-NFL had two ties this week.  I can’t imagine why ratings are down. 

-The Jets beat the morbid Browns by two points.  I am now fairly certain Bowles is a bad coach and Revis may be dead. 

-Indy is just a bad team at this point, right?  Its not even “Andrew Luck has No Weapons,” right?  They are 3-5, Luck BARELY crested 200 yards and Luck had the most yards from scrimmage… rushing.  Luck had more rushing yards than any RB and more rushing yards than any receiver had catching the ball.  Shitty.  And the corollary to that… are the Chiefs good?  They are 5-2 and their losses are to the Steelers and Texans, two first place teams. 

And, holy shit, while we are at it the AFC West is STACKED!  3 of the 4 teams have winning records and they are the only division to all have positive +/- point Differentials. 

-And I kinda feel good for Matt Ryan having that huge comeback against that thing that used to be the Packers.  For starters, Ryan played great- 3TDs 288 yards no picks, rating of 129.5.  And don’t get me wrong, Rodgers played great to- ~250 yards passing, 4 TDs 0 picks, 125.5 rating.  Awesome.  But what is going on with the Packers?  On offense, they have nothing besides Rodgers and its starting to not be enough; their D is still statistically very strong, but they got destroyed today against a team that was clearly using Jones as a decoy (3 catches for 29 yards; none in second half); their running game is gone since Eddie Lacy had his second annual "Going-on-IR-because-I'm-Too-Fat-To-Fit-Into-The-Lambeau-Parking-Lot" injury, .  And McCarthy is not saving this team, we all accept that, right?  I mean, if you are in the NFC, is this the first season you can honestly say you are not afraid of the Packers? 

-Also, Seattle lost and complained about the officials… because it was the officials that threw that pick, rightl?  And you don’t hear the Raiders complaining about their record 23 penalties for TWO HUNDRED YARDS!  They won!  Wimps! 

-And Cam Newton said that he’s going to have a talk with Commissioner Goodell about things.  Way to not seem like a petulant child, Cam. And nice hat. 

Anyway, Pats have to stay focused; everything feels like they won’t play their next meaningful game (after Seattle) until January.  If they can do that I like their chances in the post-season. 

6 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

So, I didn’t do a write-up of last week’s games because, well, the Pats beat the Steelers without Ben Rothlesberger.  This is a kin to defeating the Nazi’s without Hitler or defeating the Germans without Hitler or beating Castle Wolfenstein without Hitler.

Then again, it got me to think… just how lucky are the Pats?  I mean besides having Rodger Goodel needlessly give our starting QB a 4-week vacation and STILL staying 3-1 after 4 and 7-1 overall headed into the bye?  In week 2, the Pats played Miami only to have Miami lose their starting RB in the 1st quarter and go without their best O-lineman.  IN week 3, the Pats played the Texans and JJ Watt was obviously injured and would, in fact, be on IR within 2 weeks.  In week 5, Cleveland had already been through 2 QBs when Kessler was injured and Whitehust wasn’t.  Week 6, The Bengals’ best offensive weapon outside of AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, was out; last week, along with Rothlesberger, Deangelo Williams and Markus Wheaton were out.  This week, EASILY the Bills’ best player, LeSean McCoy, was OUT. 

What does this mean?  What this means is that if you are a Seattle Seahawks fan, don’t be stunned when Richard Sherman comes down with an extreme case of leprosy. 

As far as the game went, it was pretty ugly; Rex Ryan coached a terrible game; the Pats were just better; the Bills don’t have any playmakers outside of McCoy and Tom Brady is now a minor deity who we should all worship.  Ho-hum, Brady was 22/33 for 315 yards, 4 TDs 0 Ints for a passer rating of 137; his stats this season are absurd- 98 134 (~73%) 1317 yards 12 TDs, 0 picks.  He was 5 for his first 5 3rd downs; on 1st and 2nd down on the season, Brady has a passer rating of 130 and 118 respectively… Brady’s passer rating on 3rd down is 149.8. 

Right now the Pats are 7-1, best record in the NFL, going into the bye (Bye-Week is already down 3 starters so …); they are now three games up on the Bills in the East and for the Conf they have a 2 game lead on the Steelers with a head-to-head in hand and one game up on Oakland and Broncos (and the Broncos and Oakland play each other twice so, at least one of those teams is going to get some losses).  The Pats play Denver in week 15.  THERE IS NO WAY Denver is remaining undefeated until then.  Meanwhile, the Pats have a test in two weeks against Seattle (I… I think).  After that?  49’ers, Jets (x2), Rams and Ravens.  In fact if you remove the Broncos from this equation, the Pats remaining opponents after Seattle have a record of … 16-28.  Yuk…

The Pats have to play better, but mostly because they have yet to be seriously tested.  No team has pushed them to the limit and that always happens in the playoffs.  I really hope Seattle does something like that before the Pats play the Sisters of the Poor for all but one week after that. 

A few other things:

-NFL had two ties this week.  I can’t imagine why ratings are down. 

-The Jets beat the morbid Browns by two points.  I am now fairly certain Bowles is a bad coach and Revis may be dead. 

-Indy is just a bad team at this point, right?  Its not even “Andrew Luck has No Weapons,” right?  They are 3-5, Luck BARELY crested 200 yards and Luck had the most yards from scrimmage… rushing.  Luck had more rushing yards than any RB and more rushing yards than any receiver had catching the ball.  Shitty.  And the corollary to that… are the Chiefs good?  They are 5-2 and their losses are to the Steelers and Texans, two first place teams. 

And, holy shit, while we are at it the AFC West is STACKED!  3 of the 4 teams have winning records and they are the only division to all have positive +/- point Differentials. 

-And I kinda feel good for Matt Ryan having that huge comeback against that thing that used to be the Packers.  For starters, Ryan played great- 3TDs 288 yards no picks, rating of 129.5.  And don’t get me wrong, Rodgers played great to- ~250 yards passing, 4 TDs 0 picks, 125.5 rating.  Awesome.  But what is going on with the Packers?  On offense, they have nothing besides Rodgers and its starting to not be enough; their D is still statistically very strong, but they got destroyed today against a team that was clearly using Jones as a decoy (3 catches for 29 yards; none in second half); their running game is gone since Eddie Lacy had his second annual "Going-on-IR-because-I'm-Too-Fat-To-Fit-Into-The-Lambeau-Parking-Lot" injury, .  And McCarthy is not saving this team, we all accept that, right?  I mean, if you are in the NFC, is this the first season you can honestly say you are not afraid of the Packers? 

-Also, Seattle lost and complained about the officials… because it was the officials that threw that pick, rightl?  And you don’t hear the Raiders complaining about their record 23 penalties for TWO HUNDRED YARDS!  They won!  Wimps! 

-And Cam Newton said that he’s going to have a talk with Commissioner Goodell about things.  Way to not seem like a petulant child, Cam. And nice hat. 

Anyway, Pats have to stay focused; everything feels like they won’t play their next meaningful game (after Seattle) until January.  If they can do that I like their chances in the post-season. 

I gotta stick up for my man Cam. He stayed above it all year, and I was willing to mark off the opener as 1 game, but for the love of god give the kid a call once in a while!

The AFC does seem really thin in terms of playoff teams thus far. Doesn't seem like their are 6 teams that deserve to make it.  Have to admit that the Pats look head and shoulders above their closest competition thus far.

Meanwhile, the NFC side looks tight. I think that the Vikes, Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, Seachickens and Eagles are all legit.

The Seahawks offense scored 13 points against the worst defense in the league and started a left tackle who hadn't played the position since 8th grade. They might make the playoffs but they aren't going further than 1 and done.

22 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The Seahawks offense scored 13 points against the worst defense in the league and started a left tackle who hadn't played the position since 8th grade. They might make the playoffs but they aren't going further than 1 and done.

That's a good point. Everything they get this season is going to be on the back of that defense. I have to think that OT tie took a lot out of both the Seachickens and the Cards. Both looked to have a bit of a hangover this week.

Can I just say how amazing it is to see two teams with rookie QB's meet at midseason in primetime with the division in the air and both teams had all of their timeouts with a minute left in a tie game!?!

If this was Eli Manning and Kirk Cousins (like, today, their current models), they'd have both blown a pair of timeouts on 3rd and 27 because they were confused about the draw play their team was about to run.

Sunday Night delivers again. Hell of an OT win by the Cowboys. If that doesn't stop all the Romo taking over when he returns talk, nothing will.

Probably the best complete slate of games I've seen all season. We got a good London game early, I was switching back and forth between Oak @ TB and Sea @ NO for the morning games. Both had nailbiter finishes. Nice shootout in the afternoon game between GB @ Atl, an d a sweet OT game on Sunday Night. Not so strangely enough this occurs on a week where I didn't have to watch my Niners.

Archived