NFL 2016 Week 7: Nobody's Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I think this oversaturation of games started a few years ago. Teams bitching about Dallas and Detroit playing Thanksgiving every year and getting more exposure. Funny thing is now that those teams are also playing on Thursday, they are bitching about short weeks and fatigue??? Never heard Dallas and Detroit crying about it.

The NFL thinks more is better when really it isn't when that more is a garbage match up. Get rid of Thursday night football entirely. Then fix what ever the hell you broke, I mean, I used to have two games on at 1pm and 4pm every week and now there are weeks where I have one game only? WTF guys.  

27 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I think this oversaturation of games started a few years ago. Teams bitching about Dallas and Detroit playing Thanksgiving every year and getting more exposure. Funny thing is now that those teams are also playing on Thursday, they are bitching about short weeks and fatigue??? Never heard Dallas and Detroit crying about it.

Thursday games are way easier if you are the home team.  Dallas and Detroit have a scheduling advantage every year from that Thanksgiving nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Thursday games are way easier if you are the home team.  Dallas and Detroit have a scheduling advantage every year from that Thanksgiving nonsense. 

Don't agree with that at all*. I just did a quick count of all Thursday games since 2006 when it started and the home team has wins 55%** of the time (63 wins 51 losses). To me that is not enough of a difference to call it an advantage.

Dallas wins 63% of the time on Thanksgiving, Dallas is a historically good team so that seems normal

Detroit wins 48.7% of the time on Thanksgiving, Detroit is a historically bad team, so again seems normal.

One last stat, since 1990 (http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nfl/home-field-advantage-broken-down-by-nfl-team.aspx)  home teams have won 58.04% of ALL NFL games. So actually, the Thursday game home team win percentage is lower than the norm.

*I am a Cowboys fan and likely biased

**I suck at math though so please double check me.

50 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Don't agree with that at all*. I just did a quick count of all Thursday games since 2006 when it started and the home team has wins 55%** of the time (63 wins 51 losses). To me that is not enough of a difference to call it an advantage.

I am surprised that the win percentage on home teams for TNF isn't higher.  I was mostly basing it on interviews I've seen where both Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson said that they always liked having the Thanksgiving games because they felt playing at home on a short week is always easier.  And that anecdotally, it seems like watching TNF that it is a blowout a lot of the time, and more often than not, it is the home team. 

I'm not going to address the Cowboys or Lions win percentages, that is way too dependent on how good the team is to be worthwhile.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The problem isn't that there's too much football. It's that the football itself has been dreadful. 

50+ primetime games a season only makes it worse if you ask me. It leaves the nfl little option but to showcase games like tonight, with two bad teams. You can bury a Ten/Jax game on a Sunday with a 1pm start time when there's other games going on to distract viewers with. Thursday night the bad football is out there in the open with no cover to hide it. Primetime games used to be the games of the week, and that's just not the case anymore. Couple that with the dreadful football that is going on, and it's a recipe for disaster.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The problem isn't that there's too much football. It's that the football itself has been dreadful. 

I'm trying to find the article, but someone actually looked at stats like penalties, conversion percentages, TDs per game, score, QB ratings, etc, and everything is very similar to the last several years.  The big difference that writer saw was scheduling.  The premier teams have crappy O-lines and are playing horribly.  Meanwhile, the teams playing tight games with good QB and line play are not ones that are receiving strong national TV presences.  

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

50+ primetime games a season only makes it worse if you ask me. It leaves the nfl little option but to showcase games like tonight, with two bad teams. You can bury a Ten/Jax game on a Sunday with a 1pm start time when there's other games going on to distract viewers with. Thursday night the bad football is out there in the open with no cover to hide it. Primetime games used to be the games of the week, and that's just not the case anymore. Couple that with the dreadful football that is going on, and it's a recipe for disaster.

Interesting argument. I think there is a lot of merit to what you're saying, but it still feels like a secondary issue, because if the football was fairly good across the board I'd think we would be happy with the 50+ prime time games. 

I've been wondering for a while now if we could increase the quality of Thursday night games by making sure the teams that are playing are both coming off of their bye weeks. Idk if it's logistically possible, but I'm sure we'd get more competitive games, plus it would give the players a nice rest period during the middle of the season. 

2 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

I'm trying to find the article, but someone actually looked at stats like penalties, conversion percentages, TDs per game, score, QB ratings, etc, and everything is very similar to the last several years.  The big difference that writer saw was scheduling.  The premier teams have crappy O-lines and are playing horribly.  Meanwhile, the teams playing tight games with good QB and line play are not ones that are receiving strong national TV presences.  

I'd be interested in reading it if you can find it. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been wondering for a while now if we could increase the quality of Thursday night games by making sure the teams that are playing are both coming off of their bye weeks. Idk if it's logistically possible, but I'm sure we'd get more competitive games, plus it would give the players a nice rest period during the middle of the season. 

That would preclude Thursday night games both early and late in the season.  Teams don't want their byes week 1 or 17, or even 2,3,14,15,16.

5 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

That would preclude Thursday night games both early and late in the season.  Teams don't want their byes week 1 or 17, or even 2,3,14,15,16.

Yup. But I think it would benefit every team if they had their bye weeks between week 7 and week 11. And this would allow for multiple Thursday night games and you could just hide the bad ones, or you could have a Wednesday night game, Thursday night game and Friday night game. 

I dunno about all the other stuff causing decline in viewership (ESPN had a push notification with a poll that said anthem protests were the number one reason) but tonight when offered Jags v Titans or Bulls v Celtics... I'm doing what would have been unthinkable as recently as last year.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I dunno about all the other stuff causing decline in viewership (ESPN had a push notification with a poll that said anthem protests were the number one reason) but tonight when offered Jags v Titans or Bulls v Celtics... I'm doing what would have been unthinkable as recently as last year.

Watching the Jags?

Meanwhile, Phill Simms just said the first thing I've ever agreed with 'DeMarco Murray would rather look at the backside of a quarterback than stand next to him.'

I'd be ok standing next to Mariota, but would also prefer staring at that backside.

Archived