US Politics: Hindsight on 2020

all swedes are racist

And yeah, some evangelicals said Katrina was gods punishment for gays. 

They believe that Obama and Clinton are possessed by demons.

There is no extra real situation that is going to change that.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

And yeah, some evangelicals said Katrina was gods punishment for gays. 

They believe that Obama and Clinton are possessed by demons.

There is no extra real situation that is going to change that.

The difference between Katrina and a similar event in the future is that the ones who thought it was punishment for gays were on the fringes.  Now they will be in the white house.  

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ask the GOP. It's long been their philosophy, no? Now they're going to be the party of Big Government that is going to employ you? How is this kind of generalization incorrect might be the more pertinent question.

In the way that most generalizations are incorrect.  

At any rate, we were talking about voters, not GOP operatives.

Either way, I guess you guys are right.  All those voters in Pennsylvania who voted for Obama in 2008 obviously voted for Trump in 2016 because they are closet racists.  No reason to consider that there may be other factors at play, it's so obvious. Same for tha gains among minorities.  Racists, the whole lot of them.

I don't know what I was thinking. Simple, convenient, tidy packages are way better.

2 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

A better example: The birther nonsense. That wasn't racist?

I don't really know if it was or not.

But it was not openly racist as far as I know.  In fairness I didn't really follow that nonsense that closely.

Is there some quote from Trumps calls for Obama to produce his birth certificate that you consider openly racist?

3 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

But it was not openly racist as far as I know.  In fairness I didn't really follow that nonsense that closely.

Is there some quote from Trumps calls for Obama to produce his birth certificate that you consider openly racist?

?? What?

What exactly is a plausible motivation to conjure rubbish conspiracy theories about his birth? Why exactly choose that particular method to delegitimize his presidency? 

I can't even.

31 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Ok, thought experiment of sorts here.

Climate Change has been a major issue for a while now.  Studies pointing to rapidly increasing ocean levels that has started to have significant real world effects the past few years.  Witness the occasional article linked to here about flooding in Miami Beach and the rather dire predicament of the base at Norfolk. 

Situation is liable to get worse, not better.

So, say we are in Year Three of Trumps reign, and this great big ugly chicken comes home to roost - in the form of a sort of 'second Katrina,' one so bad that major US cities will require permanent evacuation.  How does the Trump administration and the (delusional) Tea Party set respond to this? 

real world circumstances 'trump' political ideology.  fake news that deviates too far from observable reality gets ignored.

Also applies to economics.  What will the ardent Trump supporters do once they realize they are worse off than before as a result of Conservative policies? 

We know what Hillary would do. She would set up a charity to funnel funds into the clinton foundation and spend 5% of the donated money on actual aid for the people affected. Obama would play golf with his wall street buddies.

Trump would oversee reconstruction after personally visiting the affected areas as soon as was safe for him to do so. However he might still deny climate change, it depends on who he's listening to. 

Regarding the economy, if it got worse for workers and the economy then he will have failed utterly on a central promise. 

12 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

YOU LOSE SIR. GOOD DAY.

2 minutes ago, DraculaAD1972 said:

We know what Hillary would do. She would set up a charity to funnel funds into the clinton foundation and spend 5% of the donated money on actual aid for the people affected. Obama would play golf with his wall street buddies.

Trump would oversee reconstruction after personally visiting the affected areas as soon as was safe for him to do so. However he might still deny climate change, it depends on who he's listening to. 

Regarding the economy, if it got worse for workers and the economy then he will have failed utterly on a central promise. 

I'm just curious, which fake news/conspiracy theory websites did you get this from?

3 hours ago, DraculaAD1972 said:

Don't fear, Trump will save your precious democracy.

Let's do a quick thought experiment. We go to the races to place a bet, Week, you and I. We both consider ourselves to be expert gamblers. We places our bets. You bet on Holy Hillary, despite my warnings that she's an old nag who is sure to stumble and probably won't make it to the finish. Meanwhile I place my bet on Divine Donald,  and I ignore your warning that he is a bag of shite. When you start to convince the crowd that they should bet on Hillary, I start to convince them that Donald will be the winner. We are equally persuasive and we split the crowd between us. 

Of course Divine Donald wins and I and half the crowd collect our winnings. As I celebrate my victory, you denounce me as a fake pundit who knows nothing about horses and who lies almost all the time. You claim that in the next race, you will pick the winner and I am sure to pick the loser.  Should the crowd believe you?

I won't mention Clinton News Network, as I think Kalbear might sprain something with more laughter. But the New York Times had to  admit its coverage of the election race was poor. Let's just say that when the msm peddles lies, bias, propaganda, and engages in collusion and deception and cheating....this blind, manipulative, anti-Trump, echo-chambery devotion to Hillary Clinton doesn't exactly add to the 'veracity of their news coverage'. 

I'm sorry, I have to go back three pages just to point how ridiculously stupid this "thought" experiment is. It's not even a thought experiment, because it isn't designed to provoke thought toward any specific philosophical quandary, it's just a stupid hypothetical scenario that doesn't actually bolster the point being made in any discernible way. Wow. 

10 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

What exactly is a plausible motivation to conjure rubbish conspiracy theories about his birth? Why exactly choose that particular method to delegitimize his presidency?

Why not? It's cheap propaganda that requires personal information to refute -- not a bad strategy. There is nothing race-specific about the birther controversy. It relies only on his father being a foreigner and would work just as well had Obama's father been a white man from Great Britain. In fact, something similar was done to Ted Cruz during the primary.

It's a conspiracy theory that was obviously idiotic from the very beginning and Trump eventually had to admit that it was complete nonsense, but it was not racist except in that its target was an African-American. By that criterion, nearly every anti-Obama action would be racist so most people don't think that way.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm just curious, which fake news/conspiracy theory websites did you get this from?

Isn't anyone concerned that private eye magazine is on the blacklist? At least according to uk column. Are they nazis too? Yikes. 

This pc clampdown will backfire. It will only incite groups from outside the Trump camp to question the intellectual honesty of this poor attempt at a MSM backlash against alt-lite media.

Archived