U.S. Politics: 2016 Election Goes To Overtime

Noneofyourbusiness

31 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Has anyone seen the Trump-esque Twitter tirade Jill Stein has unleashed about Hillary not demanding a recount?  I feel like she's worked to make the Green Party even more irrelevant than it already was.  

ETA: Included random link of twitter tirade because couldn't link all the tweets.

I'm sure it's what everyone is talking about instead of the NYT on his conflict of interests in six major countries.

On 11/25/2016 at 11:27 AM, Weeping Sore said:

I agree with your second sentence but I don't see how it relates to the first.

The second doesn't happen unless a significant discrepancy in the vote count is found.  To think that will happen is wishful thinking.  The voters aren't as enlightened as you think they are.

49 minutes ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

The second doesn't happen unless a significant discrepancy in the vote count is found.  To think that will happen is wishful thinking.  The voters aren't as enlightened as you think they are.

So we shouldn't bother taking a second look? I don't see any harm in it. It's part of the process. It's written in. If you have the standing and the money (Stein has both) it's perfectly acceptable.

23 hours ago, Mexal said:

The NY Times just posted a 6 byline article about Trump conflicts of interest around the world. They sent these reporters to those countries to investigate. It's long and worth a read.

I just wish this level of reporting was done prior to the election instead of the thousands of stories on Clinton's emails. I know it wouldn't have mattered but it should have been done. Only real story I remember trying to figure this out was the Newsweek story by Eichenwald. 

I just finished reading that article this morning.  It is pretty worrisome, I don't know how you can disentangle Trump from all of his corporate holdings.  I don't even think a blind trust could work to be honest, because everyone knows the Trump brand.  And Trump just doesn't seem to have the personality in which he could even rise above it.  

An aside:

As to the PA recounts, I support the effort because, like another poster, I also believe that we should render things down to a more simple method.  I hope this effort might throw a national spot light on that fact.

8 hours ago, The Fallen said:

How is it a repudiation of "victimhood culture" when the majority of Americans disagree with Trump/Republican positions on social issues such as gay marriage, abortion, immigration legislation, etc ... And on top of that Hillary has received way more votes overall than Donald Trump.

The popular vote is irrelevant and the stuff you mention is not what is being repudiated. It's not about the issues as such, it's about conflict resolution and attitude. For example, take a look at this Washington Post article: titled "I haven’t slept in my room since the election"

The university must refuse to bend to any federal legislation that may be passed in the coming months and years that would directly harm its students. Female students deserve access to reproductive health services, undocumented students deserve access to education as well as protection from dislocation or deportation, and Muslim students deserve to learn at our university without fear. This school has the power to ensure these things, and it must take the side of student protection if it wishes to fulfill its mission of educational excellence.

Many will read this and call me a coddled child. If fear for my safety and the safety of my fellow students is childish, then so be it.

I expect more from my university, my community, my country. I expect safety, respect and tolerance. I deserve these things. As do we all. And if our universities do not reflect that with policies and protections that keep students safe and secure so that we may learn and grow, then the onus is on those of us with the ability to push for change to do just that.

Note that the issues range from the uncontroversial to the debatable, but, as you can see from the comments, even in a mainstream liberal newspaper, the reaction is overwhelmingly (> 95%) negative. The problem is with the entitlement ("I expect...", "I deserve..."), the cowardice, the blowing of tiny things out of all proportion and, above all, the use of all these things in an appeal to some authority to lobby for both related and unrelated issues. This has been a staple of the behavior of a variety of Democrat-aligned groups for the last few years and many people are really tired of it.

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

The popular vote is irrelevant and the stuff you mention is not what is being repudiated. It's not about the issues as such, it's about conflict resolution and attitude. For example, take a look at this Washington Post article: titled "I haven’t slept in my room since the election"

Note that the issues range from the uncontroversial to the debatable, but, as you can see from the comments, even in a mainstream liberal newspaper, the reaction is overwhelmingly (> 95%) negative. The problem is with the entitlement ("I expect...", "I deserve..."), the cowardice, the blowing of tiny things out of all proportion and, above all, the use of all these things in an appeal to some authority to lobby for both related and unrelated issues. This has been a staple of the behavior of a variety of Democrat-aligned groups for the last few years and many people are really tired of it.

Derision while supporting the rise of the alt-right and nominations of no-nothings is an appropriate reaction. Makes way more sense than engaging and disagreeing - right? Do we need to find a safe space where you don't need to read millenial think-pieces?

Where are all our right minded thought leaders of the board decrying this lind of stuff as undermining the system, as they have so eloquently in the past when these kinds of questions arise?

It's almost like they don't care, since it aligns with the outcome they want.

10 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Where are all our right minded thought leaders of the board decrying this lind of stuff as undermining the system, as they have so eloquently in the past when these kinds of questions arise?

It's almost like they don't care, since it aligns with the outcome they want.

I have to agree. I think we should take steps to abolish the system, but these are the rules by which this election was decided. We have to stand by the rules that were in place.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I have to agree. I think we should take steps to abolish the system, but these are the rules by which this election was decided. We have to stand by the rules that were in place.

If the situation were reversed, this place would be going apoplectic about the efforts from the right to undermine confidence in the system.

I don't really care either way because i think these cries of 'you're undermining the system' are way overblown.

I do wonder what the Clinton camp had to promise Stein in order to use her as their proxy though.

Just now, Swordfish said:

If the situation were reversed, this place would be going apoplectic about the efforts from the right to undermine confidence in the system.

I don't really care either way because i think these cries of 'you're undermining the system' are way overblown.

I do wonder what the Clinton camp had to promise Stein in order to use her as their proxy though.

Don't confuse what Stein is doing with this. These are two very different things. Stein is exercising a right that she has as a nominee. This petition is suggesting a subversion of the rules.  

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't confuse what Stein is doing with this. These are two very different things. Stein is exercising a right that she has as a nominee. This petition is suggesting a subversion of the rules.  

Sure.  People have a right to sign petitions.  EC voters can vote however they want.  Clinton can back Stein as her proxy in a bid to overturn the results.

All totally legal.

1 minute ago, Swordfish said:

Sure.  People have a right to sign petitions.  EC voters can vote however they want.  Clinton can back Stein as her proxy in a bid to overturn the results.

All totally legal.

You have some proof that Clinton is using Stein as a proxy?

/This EC proposal is not legal in many states, as was noted earlier in the thread.

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Oh lord....  No, your honor, I do not have a smoking gun.

My case is admittedly circumstantial.

Now, you go.  Is it your belief that she isn't?

I have no way of knowing one way or the other. When you consider how Trump has already shown his intent of essentially denuding the EPA (by appointing a climate change denier as its' head) and talking about pulling out of the Paris Accords, I would think Stein has plenty of personal reasons to want to see the result changed.

/And you stated it as if it were fact, so I'm not sure where the Oh lord and your honor enter into it.

Archived