College Basketball - Year of the Blue Bloods?

RedEyedGhost

Not sure how to explain the empty seats at Oregon other than maybe just proximity to the holidays.

Great game though.  Ball was typically great but Oregon played a very good final 4-5 minutes to get themselves back into it and Dillon Brooks hit a game-winner with time expiring.  Not really a bad loss for UCLA.  Oregon is back to looking really solid after starting 2-2 or something.  

WVU @ OSU tomorrow should be a really good game.  I'm kind of pissed about its 2:00 MST tipoff though.  I'm going to have to try and fit in watching the recording of this before the KU game, after what will be a very long day at work tomorrow :angry: 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

WVU @ OSU tomorrow should be a really good game.

Nope.

VaTech just rolled Duke.  Looks like Grayson has learned his lesson, and I expect his to be back in uniform next week.  Giles and Bolden sure look great don't they :lol: 

And UNC goes down to G-Tech. 

I'm very happy with our road win against Kenpom #33 TCU yesterday, even though all the commentators on ESPN think we should have blown them out of the water.

Oregon hammered the previously unbeaten USCw after nipping previously unbeaten UCLA.  They now have something like a 34 game home winning streak and are looking more like a legit contender after a bad first few games.  

21 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I'll see your Boom! and raise you a BAM!  :lol:

Personally, I'll take KenPom over ESPN's fictional rankings any day of the year.  However, WVU is still rated quite high by KenPom as well.

Also... Coach K is taking an extended leave of absence.

Which obviously raises the question:  Is his back that bad?  Or is it the team?

We all obviously remember the mysterious back ailment of 1995:

Mike Krzyzewski, Duke: The Blue Devils were 9-3 in 1995 when Krzyzewski was forced to take leave, citing back problems and exhaustion. Pete Gaudet filled in for the remainder of the season, and Duke struggled to a 4-15 finish and missed the NCAA tournament. Krzyzewski returned for the 1995-96 season.

27 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Guess we pushed him over the edge...

I know you say that somewhat in jest, but its hard for me to imagine that he takes time off if he really thinks this team has what it takes for a title run.  :dunno: 

And the projections for four weeks?!!?  A second back surgery on a 69 year old man?  I know many of my patients that are up and moving well soon after back surgery these days.  (Micro surgery for a  mild-moderate disc bulge really is not a big deal anymore... assuming that's what he's having.)  But I also don't take care of anyone who is legitimately in the top 1% of their hyper-competitive profession either.  Being able to return and dress down referees with the best of them is asking a lot.

22 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I know you say that somewhat in jest, but its hard for me to imagine that he takes time off if he really thinks this team has what it takes for a title run.  :dunno: 

And the projections for four weeks?!!?  A second back surgery on a 69 year old man?  I know many of my patients that are up and moving well soon after back surgery these days.  (Micro surgery for a  mild-moderate disc bulge really is not a big deal anymore... assuming that's what he's having.)  But I also don't take care of anyone who is legitimately in the top 1% of their hyper-competitive profession either.  Being able to return and dress down referees with the best of them is asking a lot.

yeah, I'm wondering if this is more like a hernia surgery or something.  Not sure why they would cover up one for another but with Allen not playing and K not on the sidelines, this will be a far tougher stretch than expected.  Unless it is a "screw it, we're getting into the tournament with everyone healthy" and are just waiting for all the freshman to be back and Allen to undouchebag himself.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Personally, I'll take KenPom over ESPN's fictional rankings any day of the year.  However, WVU is still rated quite high by KenPom as well.

Lol. I don't think any metric you could show me, would make me think we're the best team in the country. It was just all over my newsfeed. My FIL and I were talking about how they come up with it and why Baylor wouldn't be higher, since they had a few good wins already. None of it makes sense to me, really. Hey, but as long as it has WVU beside a 1, I'll take it. We have good team this year and were deep and good freshman big man. I think we can make a run in the dance.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

yeah, I'm wondering if this is more like a hernia surgery or something.  Not sure why they would cover up one for another but with Allen not playing and K not on the sidelines, this will be a far tougher stretch than expected.  Unless it is a "screw it, we're getting into the tournament with everyone healthy" and are just waiting for all the freshman to be back and Allen to undouchebag himself.

Maybe it's an injury caused/exacerbated by a little trip up in practice?

The timing of this with Allen's suspension is so very intriguing.  Can Capel lift the suspension?  Should be interesting to watch it unfold.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:15 PM, Rhom said:

Uconn is #114, and I thought they'd be lower. Fuck this year. My dad and I are going to a game next week and it might be the first time ever that I'm kind of dreading it. They're that bad.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Uconn is #114, and I thought they'd be lower. Fuck this year. My dad and I are going to a game next week and it might be the first time ever that I'm kind of dreading it. They're that bad.

Still don't ever want to see you in the tourney.

:lol: 

It's about time we benefited from some home cooking! 

The Big XII is looking to be pretty damn rough this year.  Our first two opponents have been a lot tougher than I thought they would be (although, interestingly KSU always seems to play us much tougher in Lawrence than they do in Manhattan), and WVU's loss last night was a little bit shocking.  Their brutal travel schedule might have played into it some - they flew back home after their game on Friday in Stillwater, if it weren't a holiday I'm sure they would have stayed in the area.  The Big XII usually sets their schedule to minimize back and forth travel like that, so it was Huggins' choice to do that. 

I'm getting a little worried about our defense though.  Udoka going down for the year, is getting very worrisome.  And Bragg isn't progressing at all, but to be fair he should not be playing the 5 at all, and with us playing small ball he's being forced to.

Archived