NFL 2017 Preaseason: Zeke the Freak to Sit 6 Weeks

Manhole Eunuchsbane

The Edelman injury hurts them a ton. When they've struggled over the past few years it's been because their receiving corps has been trash.  Losing one of their top guys is a huge dagger, and once Gronk suffers his annual injury they are going to be very short on weapons.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

The Edelman injury hurts them a ton. When they've struggled over the past few years it's been because their receiving corps has been trash.  Losing one of their top guys is a huge dagger, and once Gronk suffers his annual injury they are going to be very short on weapons.

Edelman is a really good receiver granted, but they added Brandin Cooks in the offseason, and I think Hogan is really capable. I don't think this hurts them all that badly. It's not like losing Gronk for instance.

9 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Honestly, if he's not actually nuts, I like Rosen ahead of any of this year's class. Throws the prettiest passes I've seen coming out in quite a while. I'm hoping he's more 'unusual for athlete' rather than 'insane', because especially in football you'll often get independent thinkers labeled as nutters just because orthodoxy is hammered so hard day to day.

Posin' for Rosen

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Does the Edelman injury do anything at all to dampen expectations for the Patriots?

Like instead of 16-0 they will have to settle for 15-1?

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's about the extent of it, methinks. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Edelman is a really good receiver granted, but they added Brandin Cooks in the offseason, and I think Hogan is really capable. I don't think this hurts them all that badly. It's not like losing Gronk for instance.

Nah, Edelman was already looking to take a decreased role and is getting old. I don't think this matters at all.

Gotta ask - who is going to be the Chris Conte rule for players and staff this season? 

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Chris Conte rule is a quick, excellent way to evaluate coaching staff and general staff, named after the era when Trestman  took over the Bears and decided to keep Chris Conte and not really look for a replacement, despite him sucking tremendously. When the staff overlook such an obvious problem you know the whole team is doomed. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Gotta ask - who is going to be the Chris Conte rule for players and staff this season? 

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the Chris Conte rule is a quick, excellent way to evaluate coaching staff and general staff, named after the era when Trestman  took over the Bears and decided to keep Chris Conte and not really look for a replacement, despite him sucking tremendously. When the staff overlook such an obvious problem you know the whole team is doomed. 

Chris Conte, as far as I'm concerned.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'd say keep an eye on the 49ers secondary, which is likely to be one of the worst in the league. Their Safeties are fairly solid, but the corners are really bad.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'd say keep an eye on the 49ers secondary, which is likely to be one of the worst in the league. Their Safeties are fairly solid, but the corners are really bad.

They're not really trying to win, though, so I'm not sure they apply to the rule.  I assume it only really impacts teams that are trying to win games.

28 minutes ago, briantw said:

They're not really trying to win, though, so I'm not sure they apply to the rule.  I assume it only really impacts teams that are trying to win games.

Yeah, I think that's likely to be true. I guess it's fair to say the Conte era Bears weren't looking to throw the season right off the bat.

27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The preseason has declared war on ACL's apparently. Brutal.

Pretty much the most common athlete injury these days.  Guys can't just keep getting bigger, faster, and stronger without some negative side effects. 

Burfict suspended for 5 games for a hit last week against the Chiefs. While a big hit on a FB who was not being thrown the ball, I don't see what was illegal about it, even with the new rules. He hits the guy in the chest with his shoulder a yard or two from the LOS. He helped the guy up after the hit, checked to make sure he was ok and the guy even said it was a legal hit. But it's Burfict, he has a reputation (earned and deserved but did you know he was only flagged for one personal foul last season and it was borderline?) and he's always going to be the player the NFL makes an example out of it. If I was him, I'd just retire. He's never going to play a full season again.

Archived