NFL 2017 Preaseason: Zeke the Freak to Sit 6 Weeks

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Haden to the Steelers for 3 yrs $27M. I like it. CB has been one of our many needs for, well, as long as I can remember.  I think Burns will develop well, and can only benefit with Haden on the other side of the field. Steelers fans are not used to big free agent signings, so I know that this isn't the Joe Haden from a couple years ago, but it's a huge improvement for our defense, and I'm pumped. 

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Haden to the Steelers for 3 yrs $27M. I like it. CB has been one of our many needs for, well, as long as I can remember.  I think Burns will develop well, and can only benefit with Haden on the other side of the field. Steelers fans are not used to big free agent signings, so I know that this isn't the Joe Haden from a couple years ago, but it's a huge improvement for our defense, and I'm pumped. 

Problem is that Haden really hasn't been good for a couple of years now.  Injuries have really sapped his ability on the field.

Will always like him, though.  

23 hours ago, Kalbear said:

At this point the Lions have two options, and both are bad, but one is REALLY bad - they can realize that Stafford isn't going to help them, or they can hope that he can despite evidence indicating that he's not that guy. What they've done is invest massive amounts of money and political capital into a sunk cost that will not make them a better team and will put the team into dire straits when they do need to rebuild. You're right that without a good QB you're not going to make much headway unless you have a world-class defense, but the Lions have neither and just bet the farm that their non-good QB will somehow miraculously be good in year...what, 11?

This is spot on. If the Lions were smart, they would have traded him for as many picks as possible and signed Kaep to a 1 year deal or just throw some terrible QB out there and openly tank. By signing Stafford to a terrible deal, they've effectively given close to 1/5 of their cap space for the next 5 years to a slightly above average QB. Not a winning move. 

Seriously, the NFL needs to catch up to the NBA on how they view trades, like Houston did.  

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Problem is that Haden really hasn't been good for a couple of years now.  Injuries have really sapped his ability on the field.

Heard this morning he graded in the 70s out of 80 some qualifying CBs. He's washed.

7 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard this morning he graded in the 70s out of 80 some qualifying CBs. He's washed.

Burns developing quickly indeed!

40 minutes ago, briantw said:

Maybe he just got really sad after all those losses. I bet a change of  scenery and atmosphere might replenish his spirit.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Maybe he just got really sad after all those losses. I bet a change of  scenery and atmosphere might replenish his spirit.

The highlight of this man's career came 2 years ago when a shoeless TY Hilton capped a Colts comeback with a last minute TD on him to break the back of the Browns improbable run towards a winning record under Mike Pettine.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The highlight of this man's career came 2 years ago when a shoeless TY Hilton capped a Colts comeback with a last minute TD on him to break the back of the Browns improbable run towards a winning record under Mike Pettine.

The Factory of Sadness will grind a man's soul down to a nub, no doubt.

43 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

My personal theory is that he's been coddled for several years now by shit coaches (like Mike Pettine, for example) who let the vets take practices off constantly and is now too soft to deal with a coach like Gregg Williams who won't have any of that bullshit.

I think he's gonna fit in nicely here. As Manhole said, I think he'll feel rejuvenated by a team that's a contender opposed to a team that fights for first overall pick in the draft every year.  Either or, happy we made a move for once instead of burying our heads in the sand and hoping the DB issue corrects itself.

If I ever offer to join a FF league, assume I'm stoned and ignore me. My Dad worked in pro sports and we were playing fantasy stuff since I was old enough to eat solid food, but at some point I just got super bored with the whole thing and then for years I was that guy starting injured-for-weeks players because I couldn't bother to bother, and never made deals, just kind of showed up on draft day and that was game. For a bit people enjoy the free points, but after a while they get pretty frustrated with me. 

22 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

If I ever offer to join a FF league, assume I'm stoned and ignore me. My Dad worked in pro sports and we were playing fantasy stuff since I was old enough to eat solid food, but at some point I just got super bored with the whole thing and then for years I was that guy starting injured-for-weeks players because I couldn't bother to bother, and never made deals, just kind of showed up on draft day and that was game. For a bit people enjoy the free points, but after a while they get pretty frustrated with me. 

:( it's not for everyone 

7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Haden to the Steelers for 3 yrs $27M. I like it.

I know many Steelers fan and they're excited about this, and they have a right to be.  Think that's a great pickup for the money and years.  Another gauge on the transaction is I know a Browns fan that was quite pissed off about this.

20 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

To the bolded, seconded.  Although I'll probably be drunk, haven't smoked weed in a couple years now.  

To the rest, I can empathize in a way.  When I was really young - like 6 to 10 - I was obsessed with sports statistics.  Read almanacs and everything I could get my hands on for baseball, basketball and football.  Accordingly, I saw a lot of of ads for fantasy shit - primarily in football.  Always thought it was stupid back then.  And once 6-year-old me thinks something is stupid, that pretty much leaves an indelible impression on my attitude towards the whole endeavor.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Another gauge on the transaction is I know a Browns fan that was quite pissed off about this.

I think most Browns fans are just pissed that he signed with Pittsburgh specifically more so than because the team waived him.  He was making a ton of money and just wasn't giving the team production worthy of the paycheck.

Just now, briantw said:

I think most Browns fans are just pissed that he signed with Pittsburgh specifically more so than because the team waived him.

That's certainly a large part of it, true.  But he was also pissed off because the contract was pretty damn reasonable.

It occurs to me how sad it is that Frank Gore's career is going to end with such a whimper. Here's one of my favorite players, who joined my favorite team for a shot at a super bowl, staring down the barrel of a five win season and 900 of the grittiest yards that will ever be accrued by a single player.

Fuck Ryan Grigson.

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It occurs to me how sad it is that Frank Gore's career is going to end with such a whimper.

I heart Frank Gore but I don't really feel sorry for him.  Most, including myself, weren't sure he'd last more than a couple years based on his college knee surgery.  Now he's 34.  We salute you.

36 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

That's certainly a large part of it, true.  But he was also pissed off because the contract was pretty damn reasonable.

Yeah.  From what I read, the Browns tried to renegotiate his contract to around what he signed for with Pittsburgh but he wouldn't agree, so I certainly think an element of it was Haden being pissed off and wanting to send a message.  

Doesn't really matter to me, though.  I think he's washed but, even if he isn't, I'm fine with him moving on to another team.  He was always a good soldier in Cleveland and did a lot for the community.  You'd also always seem him at Cavs games, even when they sucked.  

Archived